Loin Hams , Dave's injection .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
I normally do loins with Tender Quick , but it's good to keep up with different ways to do things . So I went with the phosphate injection that I use on the butts and picnics .
I have also been wanting to try a spicy Italian style ham . Another reason I went with the phosphate injection . Now the injection is perfect the way it is . I was hesitant about changing it up . I weighed each section of loin separate and mixed up the veg stock , stpp , salt , sugar and cure one for each piece . Did one with the stock injection . To the other one I added some Franks red hot and I ground up some fennel , anise and dried basil . Mixed that into the liquid and injected as much as it would take . Poured the rest in the bag . Pulled and rinsed on day 12 of the cure . Dried off and back in the fridge over night to dry the surface .
Next day I ran the smoker at 200 for an hour . Then reset to 120 . Hung the hams . Had a unopened bag of Pit master's choice pellets from Todd . Used those in a 12 " tube in the mail box .
Whole loin from freezer stock .
20200722_102530.jpg
Cut into 3 pieces . Vac'd one back up and re-froze .
20200722_103029.jpg
No trim on these . Normally I get rid of the fat .
This is after cured and dried in the fridge .
20200804_122239.jpg
The one almost looked like a picnic . I put it in a bag .
The other got a size 28 net .
20200805_103348.jpg
Into the gen 1 MES 30 . Almost 8 years old now . Added a PID and just replaced the element .
Love this thing .
20200805_103457.jpg
Let them ride at 120 for 4 hours or so . Then stepped up to 140 . I just let it go until the tube stopped smoking .
Got right at 7 hours of smoke from the tube .
Internal temp was around 125 . Bumped smoker to 200 . Finish temp was 145 . In the smoker about 12 hours total .
Took on some good color . Perfect smoke on these . The net section will be vac'd and frozen .
Then double smoked and glazed at a later date .
20200805_210322.jpg 20200805_210329.jpg 20200805_210346.jpg
The other will be sliced for sandwiches . This is the one that got the added hot sauce and Italian seasonings .
I have to say it's fantastic . You can smell the fennel and anise . Just a touch of heat . More flavor from the Franks than heat really .
Man it's good . The veg stock and the Franks leave some color at the point of injection if you slice thru it . So moist . Great flavor ,
but the added spice is really good . Just don't change the base injection ingredients or amounts .
20200807_075418.jpg 20200807_104155.jpg 20200807_075435.jpg
The Italian seasonings are a keeper for sure . Might sub something else for the franks , or just leave it out .
Thanks for lookin .

Looks and sounds great! I bet the other piece you're gonna double smoke is gonna be out of this world good. Nice job

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
That's a fine piece of work Rich, nice job. I inject the Canadian bacon I smoke with the maple brine and the little discoloration where the needle went in puts some folks off. That fennel/anise combo sounds like it'd impart some great flavor, Like! RAY

If you stay at under 3.84 oz. of cure #1 per gallon of liquid (water, broth, sauce, etc.), you have no need to weigh the meat or liquid. You can cure it in 1 gallon or 100 gallon bag or anywhere in between, no need to flip or rotate, just let it cure. Inject if over 2" thick (even one injection will help to cure from the inside-out and from the outside-in.) Good job! Sounds tasty!

Very-very nice looking loin..... Beautiful color. Looks absolutely delicious... As soon as pork loin is on sale in my local supermarkets - I am going to do the same - I am talking about additions of italian spices..... Starting two years ago I am using Pop's brine only for brining ..... Thank you for the inspiration, Rich!

Does the phosphate curing result in a different flavor or color from pink salt? I guess I don't get it.

Looks good
Thanks peach .
Looks and sounds great! I bet the other piece you're gonna double smoke is gonna be out of this world good. Nice job
Here's a link to one I did the other week . Came out great . Thanks for the comments .

That fennel/anise sounds like it'd impart some great flavor, Like! RAY
Ray , it really did . Kind of smelled like smoked licorice . LOL . That injection makes them so moist and tender . Thanks for the comments bud .

Does the phosphate curing result in a different flavor or color from pink salt? I guess I don't get it.

Sodium Tripolyphosphate is used to increase the water binding capacity of your paste or muscle. What is does is slightly raise the pH of your meat, which increases its ability to hold water. This product is excellent for products where you want a lot of water in your paste, such as hot dogs, bologna, or any emulsion sausage. It works perfectly in brines as well, so your smoked meats will hold more water, and stay juicier longer.
Sold in 1# bags.
Use level on the sticker.

Those look great Chop nice job!
Thank you sir .
Good job! Sounds tasty!
Thanks for the comments . This was an injection , that's why everything was weighed out . I use your brine on poultry . No weighing , super simple with great results .
Thanks again for looking .
Very-very nice looking loin..... Beautiful color.
Thanks bud . Yeah I was real happy with the color . If you're going to do it with Pop's brine , just think about absorbing the flavor . Liquid will transfer better than solids . Let us know what you do .

Nice job chop looks real tasty.
Thanks Warren . Appreciate it .
Thats beautiful meat for sure. Gonna have to try a loin ham.
It get better as it sits . This was first time using Pit masters choice for pellets . It smells so good .
This is great sandwich meat . Adding flavor to the basic injection worked .
Thanks for the comments .
Looks Great, Rich!!
Nice Ham!
Thanks John . These loins double smoked like you do the picnic hams are really good . I'll be doing that to the other one in the future . Thanks for the comment .
Gorgeous! I need to get some Phosphate and get some ham working..
Thanks . Yup I was happy with the color . The phosphates and the veg stock makes it . I changed the liquid one time and it wasn't the same . I think that loin was $1.79 a pound . Can't buy good ham for that .
Thanks again for looking .

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Looks awesome!!!
But my question is what is the difference in a loin ham, and Canadian bacon?
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky