Loaf Pan Bratwurst & Loaf Pan Gyros

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
View attachment 494953
these look wonderful as well as the crepes i think in the back
I know you answered this last week to me, in Steves recipe he says for cheese : pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese,
would these also not go grainy like my chedder did in my ABT's
Thanks
David

Here is a photo of poblanos, they are about the size of your hand, dark green, kind of waxy looking but are much milder than a jalapeno.
TYQwgdH.jpg
For the poblanos I like monterey jack with a little cheddar for color. But some of the cheese is used in the skillet with the beans and spices, then more is added as they cook on the grill.

In ABT's or any other pepper I start with a base of seasoned (BBQ rub) cream cheese, and might add slivers of a Mexican melting cheese, or Fontina cheese. I really like slivers of cheese in upright peppers. The original ABT's had cream cheese but usually included pulled pork, sausage bits or sometimes an all beef Lit'l Smokie sausage. So, they had less cheese than the ones we see so often today.
GVJLz35.jpg
xOLVl3C.jpg
The red and orange peppers will be smoked upright.
Z65jfQl.jpg

Loaf Pan meats are somewhat common, but most folks make 'meatloaf'. With a change in technique, and a little time it's possible to produce what I call 'loaf pan meat', and it has a LOT of uses. We made some Loaf Pan Gyros a week or so ago and yesterday made Loaf Pan Bratwurst, and Loaf Pan Spanish Sausage. It starts off with practically any sausage-like recipe, but the finished product is much denser than meatloaf and some sausages.... think hot dogs or bologna. The ground sausage meat can be double ground through a finer plate, or blended in a food processor. This is just shy of an emulsion (which I hate to make) so it's closer to a 'protein extraction' meaning you only work it enough so that the protein and fat bond, there is no temping or icing like an emulsion. Here is the Gyro meat in a processor. You can add hi-temp cheese if you like, it holds up well.
View attachment 494784
The bratwurst was a step down double grind like this
View attachment 494785

The method I use is to put the meat into a loaf pan, smoke it or cook in the oven in the 350° -375° range until it reaches proper internal temp. If you add Cure #1 you get a nice pinkish color and the safe internal temp is lowered, and the texture is firmer which is a good thing. When it's done, the accumulated pan liquid is drained off and the meat is covered with foil. Then a second loaf pan is added with 2# or 3# of weight to compress the loaf. After a couple of hours, turn out the loaf meat to a rack and cool in the fridge.
View attachment 494786
View attachment 494787
View attachment 494788

Here is the chilled Gyro meat (lamb and beef) followed by the chilled Bratwurst meat (all pork). Although these were sliced thin, the slices are somewhat sturdy, and the meat is easily heated by sauteing or a quick trip to the grill. It's great to take camping. All you are doing is warming it up and adding color. Like the sous vide guys say "It don't look like much now..... but wait for it".
View attachment 494789
View attachment 494790
View attachment 494791
We made Gyros for a Greek dinner, and I cooked the Bratwurst for breakfast this morning.
View attachment 494792
Since we had a hard boiled egg, it honestly took me about 6 or 7 minutes to make breakfast.
View attachment 494793

The best thing about Loaf Pan Meat is that you are in control of the meats, fat content, salt content, and overall flavorings. Plus the meat freezes well. If anyone has any ideas for recipes or changes to the technique, let's hear 'em!!

I do a venison pastrami in loaf form and slice for sandwich meat, it's awesome! It's cured too.
I've been doing it with soy protein isolate as the binder but I should probably try with NDFM. Once frozen and defrosted the sandwich meat thin slices tear apart a little too easily but still taste great! :)
full?d=1507248065.jpg full?d=1507248065.jpg

I do a venison pastrami in loaf form and slice for sandwich meat, it's awesome! It's cured too.
I've been doing it with soy protein isolate as the binder but I should probably try with NDFM. Once frozen and defrosted the sandwich meat thin slices tear apart a little too easily but still taste great! :)
View attachment 494986View attachment 494987

I like the sound of this. Do you grind raw and uncooked corned venison and season with pastrami spices then cook in the loaf pan?

Gonna most likely be my next new loaf sausage. One of the most expensive little chains here happens to have the cheapest bulk spices/blends at <$7/lb, including a real lemongrass-heavy Thai green curry powder

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky