• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

LEM stuffer exploded!!

laserdoc

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014
 Halfway trough a 12 pound stuffing sesion of venison snack sticks and the top piston blew up. What the hell !!??!    

Last edited:

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
To much pressure or a small tube with to much pressure?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Wow!

Al

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
As Case would say,   " add more water"    HA

laserdoc

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014
I was wondering about the water thing. Just ordered new parts off the LEM site. Should be here Sat. I bagged the 6 pounds I had left and tossed it in the frig.....or should I freeze it ?.
I will add a bit more H2O. For 12 pounds I added about 1 1/4 cups of water. Guess I need a bit more.
Freaked me out!!. Been stuffing with the same set up for 3 or 4 years so I would not think it was tube size. Only thing different was I had added a pound of hi temp cheese to the mix

muddydogs

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 19, 2016
Recipes call for the amount of liquid the creator feels is enough to mix the dry ingredients into the burger and in no way takes into consideration what is needed for running through the stuffer. I have messed around with a stuffer enough that I can tell by the way the meat squeezes through my fingers while mixing if its wet enough to go through the stuffer. I would say you need more water or was a piece of your cheese to big to clear the stuffer tube?

The extra meat should be just fine in the fridge a few days.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 3, 2014
Wow! Never seen this.

Can't wait for dirtsailor to chime in.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009

As Case would say,   " add more water"    HA
Yup:

Add more water

Could also cut back on the 'Roids, and Put the Weights back in the closet.

Bear

daveomak

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
I'm taking educated guesses here 'cause you don't provide too much info....  

5# stuffers are recommended for sticks due to the surface area of the piston vs. the ID of the stuffer tube...   

Appears the cylinder was not greased, which helps reduce friction and also grease the o-ring...   I use lard or Crisco, FWIW...

......   Waiting for Dirt to show up ......

Last edited:

laserdoc

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014
The cheese  is all diced up and should not be a problem.

I also vote for more water needed. and greasing the oring. I guessed at the water because it did not say on the pack of seasoning.

Live and learn I guess

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014

I also vote for more water needed. and greasing the oring. I guessed at the water because it did not say on the pack of seasoning.

Live and learn I guess
It's hard to say how much water is needed on a batch of sausage.  You have to get to when you can kind of feel it.

Also, when you use the stuffer, do you hand wash the piston after use, or put it in the dishwasher?  Thermal shock(too hot)  to some plastics can make them brittle over time.

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Hey Doc... any way you can post the pictures here in the thread ??

boykjo

Sausage maker
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Apr 28, 2010

Live and learn I guess
It's hard to say how much water is needed on a batch of sausage.  You have to get to when you can kind of feel it.

Also, when you use the stuffer, do you hand wash the piston after use, or put it in the dishwasher?  Thermal shock(too hot)  to some plastics can make them brittle over time.
good point CB

laserdoc

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014

hand wash

JckDanls 07

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 10, 2011
Hey Doc... any way you can post the pictures here in the thread ??
two pictures on my first post. Just click on the jpeg. Should down load 
OK.. well... as others are saying... add water and try to get used to the "feeling" while mixing... find what works best for you without to much water ...

(not a big fan of downloads)

Last edited:

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
Wow!!! Never seen that happen before.....

Yep, add more water (or beer) and go slow with smaller stuffing tubes.  I've got nylon gears on my 5 pound stuffer so I'm going to be easy on the pressure anyway.  And I sometimes use 17mm stick casings so it can be done with the right mix and pressure applied.

Edit---------------

Was there any evidence of an air pocket or other flaw in the plunger casting?  It might be a factory defect that LEM would warranty.  I don't think I've ever heard of this happening and I'm in a lot of forums.

Last edited:

laserdoc

Fire Starter
Joined Dec 23, 2014
No flaws in the plunger that I could see. Stuffer is about 5 years old so I dont think a warrenty issue would work. A new plunger on the LEM website is only about 7 bucks anyway

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.