Last straw with GMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laxpatrick

Original poster
Aug 20, 2019
Been a good run. Broke the temp sensor wires while trying to free up the yet again stuck auger.
What a horrible design. Why won’t anybody make a vertical drop like my pellet stove. And then the fragile design makes unclogging a recipe for disaster.

What’s the solution? Any pellet grills have these problems solved?

The gmg auger is the bane of its existence. Dry pellets, new auger motor, I even pulled the auger and ground the edge of the rotors down about 1/8" the entire length, no differences. Jams on startup, jams mid cook sometimes. I have a special hammer that sits next to it to rap on the feed tube.
Switched to charcoal and electric and love them both 100 x's more.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yoder, Louisiana Grills, The original Grilla Grill, Weber Smoke/Fire and the Lone Star Grillz Pellet Grill, all have a Short Auger that Drops the Pellets into the Burn Pots...JJ

My Camp Chef 24 has had no issues, I'm around 40 cooks and 4 years in.
In addition to a bunch of ribs and pork butts along with hot and fast briskets, I've done several 24 hour runs on super low and slow briskets that came out great.
Of course I do empty the bin and auger after each cook so maybe that's why it's reliable.

Reactions: forktender
I have seen a bunch of videos where the pellet grill owner talks about the Shifting Out of dust and small pieces of broken pellets is the single most effective way to eliminate or reduce Auger Jams...JJ

Reactions: RCAlan
What’s the solution? Any pellet grills have these problems solved?
I have not had any of these issue with my Rec Teq. In fact, no issues except the probes started to suck (way off) and they sent me new ones for free that work great and have a longer cable.

Reactions: smokngun
Can't say I've had any issues aside from the ignitor rod needing replacement after I worked my Pit Boss like a dog for the past few years. If the budget brand can make an augur that lasts, GMG really needs to make some changes.

Ok, researching alternatives. The Lone Star is impressive and has a ton of features I’m looking for - revised drop/auger design, pellet dump, heavy duty, and more. Only issue they’re not available, Im like 295 on the waiting list.

JJ, many thanks for pointing out those models. When you refer to the original Grilla, are you saying the current models like the Silverback don’t have this design feature?

I just can’t spend money on a grill I have to disassemble. I bet I’ve had the GMG apart 20 times…

other models to consider?

Last edited:
Darn, and I was looking at the GMG Daniel Boone or the new Trek.

So I can put it in the 5th wheel.

Because my piece of JUNK RecTec has been broke since last July and support is giving me the run around. Got 9 months of good service out of it.

Is this an issue with all models or just yours?

John

Darn, and I was looking at the GMG Daniel Boone or the new Trek.

So I can put it in the 5th wheel.

Because my piece of JUNK RecTec has been broke since last July and support is giving me the run around. Got 9 months of good service out of it.

Is this an issue with all models or just yours?

John

Pellet burners (and those new gravity feed units from Masterbuilt and Chargriller) are relatively complicated, primarily built from Chinese manufactured parts. What matters is how good the customer service is. For what it's worth, Pit Boss is very good about sending out replacement parts. When they had temp regulation issues with the new models they just sent everyone new controllers.

Unfortunately, if you want a truly reliable cooking device, you need to go upmarket to Mak or Cookshack or LSG.

Pellet burners (and those new gravity feed units from Masterbuilt and Chargriller) are relatively complicated, primarily built from Chinese manufactured parts. What matters is how good the customer service is. For what it's worth, Pit Boss is very good about sending out replacement parts. When they had temp regulation issues with the new models they just sent everyone new controllers.

Unfortunately, if you want a truly reliable cooking device, you need to go upmarket to Mak or Cookshack or LSG.
Ok, great, and thanks for the good info.

Never had any issues with my GMG, its actually a superb cooker I reckon, used 2-3 times a week for the past few years. Brother and Father have one also and never had a problem, you obviously got a lemon.

I use the GMG pellets, don't know if that's the difference.

The saga continues. Replaced the sensor and found that the shielded igniter wire has shielding that was basically DUST. As well as the individual wires. Serious fire hazard!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky