Problems with my GMG Daniel Boone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Been having temperature issues with my GMG the past couple smokes. Usually it has to do with its ability to come up to temp.
Today, I'm smoking buckboard bacon, and I didn't want to leave my garage door open to use my MES40, as it was below freezing, and we were still getting some snow last night and this morning.
So I went with the GMG, which is sitting on what's left of my deck. (Tree wiped it out. Whole other story.)
Since I'm doing bacon, I only needed it to get to the minimum temp of 150° anyway. Well, it got to the 70's okay, but took 5-1/2 hours to finally hit 150°. Not a big deal for smoking bacon, but still.
Pic at the 6 hour mark:
20221203_142628.jpg

Initially, it had been a while since I've used it, and there was some damp pellet dust at the bottom of the hopper, blocking the entrance to the auger. I cleared that (fun at 6am), but I think what may be contributing today was that I didn't toss the rest of those pellets; I just put them back in. They were probably damp, too. I think that once they cycled through and we got to the new pellets on top, it finally got to 150°. At least I hope that's the case.

Once the bacon hits 128° IT, I'm going to pull it and see if the smoker can hit some higher temps.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
That's a pretty good guess as to what your problem is / was.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky