Last minute change of plans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PamAndJim

Original poster
Nov 10, 2017
Hey BBQ fam. I had planned to smoke a brisket and 2 pork shoulders for a softball tournament this weekend. I unpacked, trimmed, and rubbed them all only to find out that the tournament has been cancelled. They are wrapped tightly in plastic wrap now. If I wrap them in a couple layers of foil, can I toss them in the freezer for a few weeks until the next tournament? Not sure how everything will hold up outside of the cryo wrap.

• Sad
Reactions: Fueling Around
Bummer for sure. I am no expert on this. I think a couple like 2 weeks is no issue. if a few becomes like 8 weeks Im not sure. I am confident others will have better advice.

You could smoke the brisket and butts as planned , pull the the butts then freeze them for later if you have a vacuum sealer. Eat teh brisket this weekend and get another for the tourney?

First Don't Panic! Follow Sandyrut's reply.

Cook, cool, slice/pull for serving, pre-freeze, vac-seal/Ziploc, label and freeze.

Something that might be different for you is after cooling the meat is place the sliced/pulled meat single layer on a parchment or butcher paper lined flat tray & freeze for about 1 hour then bag. Helps reduce the moisture in the bag and gives a better freeze on the meat.

Of course - LABEL THE BAGS!!!! I can't remember what I put in the freezer immediately after I bag it let alone a week! 🤦‍♂️🍻
John

Edit: Forgot the transport/reheat aspect. Transport the frozen meats in a cooler with ice, pack a an extension cord or two and reheat the foods in a pressure cooker(s)/slow cooker or in a pot on a grill to a safe internal temp. Makes everything compact and safe. John

Last edited:
I'd do what Sandy said! ….smoke and freeze the pork and eat the brisket! That's a great day in my book!

I agree cook, smoke, VAC SEAL, and freeze until later.

I would go as far as to pull the pork and then vac seal and freeze, just get it over with.
Also I would at least cut the brisket into smaller chunks and vac seal and freeze so you can warm up and slice more easily later.

When I freeze brisket for myself I just go ahead and slice and freeze BUT your slices don't always cooperate and look so pretty when you transfer to bags and do this but still tastes amazing.

I have also vac sealed whole cooked briskets and pork butts and I find it being a major time investment to reheat the stuff whole and then serve and then it comes out no better and maybe even less desirable. So this is why I make the recommendations above.

BTW in Texas when we do brisket for a large number of people we usually don't do slices anyhow we just chop the brisket and serve it chopped so it goes further. This is actually my preferred way to eat it but many people think sliced is the way to go.

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: Fueling Around
Great suggestions

For group feeds, I always smoke and cook my pork way ahead. Pulled pork is the most forgiving meat for vac packing, freezing and reheating. I smoke until the stall temp and finish in a wrapped pan in the oven to save the juices.

tallbm tallbm had a great suggestion.
I've had chopped brisket a few times. A ploop of meat on a bun or made into a taco does go further than sliced.
Ooh, pulled pork tacos!

Reactions: tallbm
Alright y'all, I took your advice and smoked it all up. We ate the brisket for dinner, slicing the flat and chopping the point to be frozen. Then pulled the pork and bagged it up. Had to use Ziplocks since I don't have a vacuum sealer... yet. I'm about to do some research and find a good affordable one.

Great ! Inkbird has a great vac seal unit at a very good price and they are also members/supporters of this forum, Do a search on here and you can find a thread and ask for a discount code !
I've had mine for 2 weeks and love it !

Alright y'all, I took your advice and smoked it all up. We ate the brisket for dinner, slicing the flat and chopping the point to be frozen. Then pulled the pork and bagged it up. Had to use Ziplocks since I don't have a vacuum sealer... yet. I'm about to do some research and find a good affordable one.

Nice!!!

Also be sure to do tons of research on vacuum sealers.
What you will likely fine is that "a good affordable one" kinda doesn't really exist. It is overwhelmingly good, or affordable not both hahhaa.

Having gone through a few vacuum sealers, done all my research, and seeing others experiences... I've come to the conclusion that if you are spending less than $250-$300 it will fail on you with less than average use within a year.

I think people here gravitate towards Vac Master Pro models and if/when my Weston Pro 2100 ever wears out I think I'll give Vac Master a shot but my Weston Pro 2100 is going strong with no signs of wearing out. Both Vac Master and Weston Pro vac sealers are are $300+

I would not buy a Food Saver brand vac seeler as I bought one over $200 and yep it didnt make it through 2 hunting seasons worth of use. So basically you go with 2-3 brands and understand their design and what their cost is and that will be your best bet.
I hope this info helps you navigate the land mines that are vac sealers since they are NOTORIOUS for crapping out on you super fast where they just dont work properly after long even thow they "operate".

Reactions: GATOR240
Great ! Inkbird has a great vac seal unit at a very good price and they are also members/supporters of this forum, Do a search on here and you can find a thread and ask for a discount code !
I've had mine for 2 weeks and love it !

Nice. Thanks for the reco. I found it on Amazon with a 40% off coupon and scooped one up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky