LAMB LOIN GYROS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Picked up 2 lamb loins at my local Aldi last week and for one of them we decided to make gyros with. Not exactly the traditional way but deffinatly a great way to make them. Wife said she would make some homemade tzatziki for topping and some homemade flatbread so I was in charge of the lamb.

Started with the loin. It was already tied up so I cut the strings and unrolled it. It got seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic,onion, thyme, rosemary,oregano,and mint.
0419201412.jpg
0419201527.jpg

Flipped it over and scored the fat side in an X pattern then seasoned with only the salt pepper ,onion and garlic. I didnt use the herbs on this side because I was planing on doing a very hard sear/char. I didnt want the herbs to burn and become bitter tasting.
0419201533.jpg

Then rolled back up and tied to keep a nice even shape. Off to the smoker rinning about 220° with some cherry chunks.
0419201712a.jpg

Now while I was doing that the wife was making the flat breads. Well .....we call them flat breads but its really a naan recipe. We like the naan bread a little better because they are a little more soft and fluffy. She also made the tzatziki sauce fresh. I didnt get any pictures of that stuff in the making but these are the flat breads
0419202201a.jpg

I took the loin off the smoker when it hit an IT of 110°
0419202010~2.jpg

It already smells amaizing! I wanted a really hard sear/char on this thing . a hot grate was not going to do it. Lucky for me I have a really old grill thats about to bite the dust. The sear burner has a big rust hole in the back so I can get a pretty wicked flame ....time to play with some fire!
0419202016~2.jpg

Once I got the char I was looking for I moved it over to a low heat and brought the temp up to 135° then wrapped it up to rest until dinner time.
0419202017.jpg

Rested and ready to slice up thin for the gyros
0420200009b.jpg
0420200015b.jpg

On to the breads with the tzatziki sauce ,red onion cherry tomatoes feta cheese and some arugula. Also had some aspearigus alng with them.
0420200039c.jpg
0420200048.jpg

These were absolutely fantastic! The lamb was perfect and the wife did an awesome job on the breads and the sauce! Great meal!
Thanks for taking a look!

Man that lamb is perfect and the plate is a thing of beauty. I love those Mediterranean flavors!! I rarely miss carbs of any kind by damn, I do love Naan bread. Having spent a ton of time in Toronto and the heavy Indian population there I love Indian food overall.

Man that lamb is perfect and the plate is a thing of beauty. I love those Mediterranean flavors!! I rarely miss carbs of any kind by damn, I do love Naan bread. Having spent a ton of time in Toronto and the heavy Indian population there I love Indian food overall.
Thanks jcam! The flavors are so fresh with the Mediterranean. And although the naan is not really the correct bread for these...its really the only way to go in my opinion.

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff, When I was living in England I acquired a real taste for Indian curry's and breads and appetizers, tried them here and they do not taste the same at all. Really miss that about England.

John

Boy Travis you have been busy, now I understand the comment in your other post.

Great job by you and your wife....nice teamwork!

BIG Like!

John
Thanks John ! Every once in a while we do a pretty good team work meal! And actually Ryder helped her make the bread dough so it was a family team work! Of course the little one Knox just likes to run around and snack on all the goodies as we make them.

That looks great may have to try with boneless legs for manorial day with family and friends
Thanks pabeef! Thats a great idea. It would Be easy to set something up like this "buffet style" and feed a lot of people.

It's tons more tender when it's cooked to Med. but what do I know??? I've been to Greece more then a couple of times! Just sayin

It's tons more tender when it's cooked to Med. but what do I know??? I've been to Greece more then a couple of times! Just sayin
I had lamb a few times and I have to say it was horible. Then a friend of mine made it for me ..it was absolutely delicious....and rare. Also taking this one to 135° I'm pushing medium pretty darn close. I looked through your profile in hopes to find some lamb posts but I didnt find a single post of any cooks what so ever. If you can show me a way that will change my mind please do...post up a cook you have done with a recipe I can try. I'll try anything once. Thats why we are all here to learn. If you can teach me something new I'm all for it!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky