Kosmos Phosphates

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Always wanted to ask and seems the perfect time. What the heck are the differences between 414 and 450? I have both and they both act the same to me. Wonder if 450 "super" works faster but I cannot for the life of me find how long it takes these to work.

Always wanted to ask and seems the perfect time. What the heck are the differences between 414 and 450? I have both and they both act the same to me. Wonder if 450 "super" works faster but I cannot for the life of me find how long it takes these to work.
Well , just read thru both , my take is the 450 is for liquid injection and the 414 is added dry into meat mixed for sausage .

Reactions: zwiller
That's my understanding too. What is funny though is 414 dissolves easier.

I always dissolve mine and rest overnight so I think that might negate seeing any difference. Definitely no taste difference. 450 seems much finer than 414. Results seem the same to me but predict that if I ran some time experiments 450 probably works faster.

I was wondering about the grain size . Any chance it's the same formula , just the 450 is ground more ?

OK, I found this on phosphates... 450 and 414 may be what is described below.... don't know which is which.... Someone may want to drop a note to BP.... and ask them... or figure it out from the product description...

Phosphates
http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/AI407E06.htm

Levels used: 0.05 – 0.5%

Phosphates have a wide application in the meat processing industry and improve binding and texture in processed meat products. They directly increase the water-holding capacity by raising the pH as their own pH is alkaline (above 7.0). Phosphates also stabilize the texture of meat products by increasing protein solubility in connection with salt and reduce lipid oxidation/rancidity and hence the occurrence of negative flavours. Phosphates have also shown the ability to reduce microbial growth. The most common phosphates used in meat processing are:

Sodium tripoly-phosphate STPP (pH 9.8)
Sodium di-phosphate SDP (pH 7.3)

For meat preparations such as sausage mixes, where phosphates are added as dry powder, phosphates with moderate alkaline effect are preferred, in particular di-phosphates. The usual dose is 0.03 % (see page 134). Di-phosphates are the most effective form of increasing water binding. However, di-phosphates have a low water solubility. Thus, for meat curing brines containing phosphates (see page 179), the more soluble poly-phosphates can be used.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky