Kosher salt vs. Iodized Salt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wipper36

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Sorry for the dumb question fellas but what is the differance? Taste? Texture, or is it a question of the chemical absorbtion?

This might help ya.

Salts comes in many variations; grocery store shelves are lined with kosher salt, iodized salt and sea salt to just name a few. Knowing the difference between these salts and the other salts on the market can get confusing. To begin, all salts are either extracted from seawater through evaporation or mined from salt deposits. Salts are made from sodium chloride. One of the main differences between all salts is texture and size. Read below to discover additional difference between kosher and iodized salt.
[h2]What Is Kosher Salt?[/h2]
Kosher salt, also called rock salt, is a course salt that is free of any additives. Due to this, kosher salt is considered the most pure salt. The salt garnered its name because it is the primary salt utilized to cure kosher meats. Kosher salt has a mild flavor and is often preferred over other table salts by professional chefs. Unlike many other table salts, kosher salt remains in a more coarse granulated form than the precise, small square shape created in other table salts.
[h2]What Is Iodized Salt? [/h2]
Unlike other forms of salt, iodized salt has been fortified with a trace amount of iodine. In addition to iodine, dextrose is added to the salt to stabilize the iodine. Iodized salt has a similar texture, shape and size as normal table salt.
[h2]What Are the Benefits of Kosher Salt? [/h2]
Due to the flaky crystal texture of kosher salt, many people prefer this salt when seasoning meats because it adheres well to the skin of the fish or meat. Additionally, kosher salt works well when wanting to achieve a salt rim around the top of a margarita glass. Kosher salt is ideal when curing meats because the coarse granulated crystals adhere better to the meats and allows for more blood to be drawn out of the meat.
[h2]What Are the Benefits of Iodized Salt?[/h2]
Iodine fortification began after World War I when it became apparent that many men were iodine deficient. Iodine deficiency can lead to goiters, development delays and other health problems. The United States was the first country to add iodine to salt. Due to the success in reducing the occurrence of goiters, this process has spread throughout the world.
[h2]Kosher Salt Compared To Iodized Salt[/h2]
In a blind taste test, kosher salt and iodized salt tasted nearly identical. Due to the fine nature of iodized salt, this salt works better when baking or for use as a table salt than kosher salt. For pickling, kosher salt is a wise alternative to iodize salt because the iodine may cause discoloration or cloudiness to the item being pickled.

Kosher salt is formed in such a way that the results are flake shaped vs the crystaline shape of table salt.  It usually has no additives though there is sometime an anti-caking additive.  I use Kosher salt for cooking because it dissolves faster and I can get a quicker read on the saltiness of a dish I'm making.  I don't use it for baking.

Iodized salt us usually a table salt mixed with a minute amount of various iodine-containing salts.  It is not used for pickling or brining solutions because the iodine can turn the food dark through oxidation - harmless but not very visually appealing.

Curt.

Keep in mind that when you substitute non-iodized salt for kosher salt use half the amount if measuring by volume   1/2 t non-iodized salt = 1 t kosher salt.   That's why I always use weight when making spice rubs and cure mixes.

You guys are awesome-thank you very much for the GREAT amount and QUALITY of information-Wipper36

The above is very good info. Using iodized salt is not my first choice by any means. However I have used it in a pinch when I realized I didn't have enough Kosher salt. One thing the above didn't mention is that all salts are not equal in measurement, a cup of Kosher salt is NOT equal to a cup of table salt. A cup of table salt will have much more sodium then a cup of Kosher salt. 

This link will help you understand what I am talking about. LINK

I never use idolized salt - many folks are allergic to it. It really has NO flavor advantage and lots of disadvantages 

Iodized salt was a boon to our nation, especially in the middle of the country where there was very little seafood available or consumed.  Goiterism is almost unheard of now. When I was a young boy, we saw many older folks with grotesque goiter conditions.

Having said that, we get sufficient amounts of iodine (trace amounts) in all the prepared crap we eat.  For that reason, I never use iodized salt in the kitchen, and certainly never in a brine or curing application.

Good luck and good smoking.

Also...Not all Kosher Salt is the same...1C Diamond Crystal Kosher is 5oz....1C Morton Kosher is 7.5oz...1C Iodized Table salt is 10oz...so there you go...JJ

Good point JJ. 

As I recall Ruhlman and Polcyn base their ratios on Mortons Kosher?  I don't own the book, I just read it from a library.

Weights will give you the real deal. I have some Mortons and some Diamond Crystal on hand.  I haven't gotten around to verifying the weight ratios yet?  Maybe tomorrow? 
confused.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky