Kosher Dill Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Canning 7 quarts on Saturday morning.

Picked up some "Mrs. Wages" .

Anyone here used this?

Thanks.

It's pretty good stuff. I've used it a few times. Did two half-gallons with it a couple of weeks ago. Will sample them after about a month. I do add a little pickle-crisp.

Reactions: bill ace 350
I use the regular Mrs Wages, and also the 'Refrigerator' mix. Both are really good, the fridge veggies are very crunchy.
rZbfzUl.jpg

Ended up with 10 quarts.
1/4 tsp calcium chloride to each jar, 1/4 tsp mustard seed, some peppercorns, garlic clove, fresh dill as well to each jar.

Can't wait to try them.

Reactions: chopsaw
Couldn't wait. Sampled this evening. Very pleased, but a little too salty for my taste.

Next round, will use the same recipe, but add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon sugar to each quart....

Maybe help a bit.

Thoughts?

We made 7 jars of Mrs Wages Dill, I'm not gonna open them up for a week. But the brine had good aroma and they had a good appearance.

We also made 16 more pints of Mrs Wages Salsa, that got us up to 80 and we've used most of our tomatoes. And good thing, because they weren't going to keep much longer.

Now its on to banana peppers and jalapenos to pickle. I'm picking habanero, but have no idea what I'm gonna do with them. I have no use for a hot sauce. Might pickle them, IDK.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Dry them out and grind into powder . Could have thrown one in some pickle jars .

Still not too late. I'm making some bread and butter pickles this week. This Tuffy Stone recipe is delicious. I'm going through these almost as fast as I can grow the cucumbers.

Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles
Yields 6 (12-ounce) jars

Perfect addition to potato salad, relishes or a garnish for sandwiches.

What you need:
Pickling Liquid:
½ cup kosher salt
1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 quart sugar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon whole white peppercorns

Pickles:
3 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
1 large white onion, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced

What to do:
First make the pickling liquid: In a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, add the salt, vinegar, sugar, celery seeds, mustard seeds, ground ginger, turmeric, and white peppercorns and stir until the salt and sugar have dissolved. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring just to a boil, then remove the pot from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
Place the cucumber rounds and onion slices in a large stockpot. Pour the warm pickling liquid over the cucumbers, then set the stockpot aside, uncovered, to cool to room temperature. You may need to weigh the cucumber slices down with a plate during the cooling process.
Distribute the cucumbers, onions, and pickling liquid between 6 jars (or a large, 3-quart lidded container), cover tightly, and refrigerate. These pickles will keep, refrigerated, for 3 months.

Reactions: chopsaw
More pickles today.

Using Mr. Wages again, but will add sugar this time to cut saltiness some.
20230727_093231.jpg

I use the regular Mrs Wages, and also the 'Refrigerator' mix. Both are really good, the fridge veggies are very crunchy.
I did not realize how much these packages make. I only want to make about 4 pints. Not sure I should try to only use just some of the mix? Thinking I could make it up with the vinegar than take want I want from that before adding sugar? Just have to figure out the ratio. I will be using sugar substitute which is fairly expensive or I would just add all sugar to the whole mix. I plan on just making them Refrigerator pickles.

Reactions: bill ace 350
I did not realize how much these packages make. I only want to make about 4 pints. Not sure I should try to only use just some of the mix? Thinking I could make it up with the vinegar than take want I want from that before adding sugar? Just have to figure out the ratio. I will be using sugar substitute which is fairly expensive or I would just add all sugar to the whole mix. I plan on just making them Refrigerator pickles.
Don't see why not....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky