Early Season Refrigerator Pickles

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Walmart had 2# bags of pickling cucumbers, so I broke out one package of Mrs Wages 'Refrigerator' Kosher Dill mix and made a few jars. These will be ready to sample in a week, but the flavor is greatly improved at 14 days. Going forward, they have a refrigerator life of 6 months. But I'll gift one jar to my neighbor and the rest should tide me over until mid-August when I use local ones.
8OaBKig.jpg

1S7zcNz.jpg

HS4SpFT.jpg

Oh, those look tasty! Pickling is another hobby I want to get into! So tasty.
Refrigerator veggies (pickles, asparagus, dilly beans, onions, etc.) have just the right amount of crunch, and is a good way to get started. I do blanch green beans and asparagus. To my knowledge the refrigerator mixes come in Kosher, Polish and Bread & Butter flavor. This is the batch I made last August, the pickles went fast and I'm on my last jar of asparagus.
rZbfzUl.jpg

• Love
Reactions: bauchjw
Interesting. Last year I started growing my own pickling cucumbers and we used Mrs Wages to make dills. I used a Tuffy Stone recipe for bread and butter.

I just planted seed for this years cucumbers 9 days ago and anxiously watching for sprouts. So far nothing.

I'm gonna try SmokinAl SmokinAl dill recipe whenever my home grown are ready.

Until then, I'm eating Wickles Pickles Wicked Chips, they're a bread and butter and really good.

Some nice looking pickles! I like doing the refrigerated stuff...it never lasts long enough here.

Interesting. Last year I started growing my own pickling cucumbers and we used Mrs Wages to make dills. I used a Tuffy Stone recipe for bread and butter.

I just planted seed for this years cucumbers 9 days ago and anxiously watching for sprouts. So far nothing.

Until then, I'm eating Wickles Pickles Wicked Chips, they're a bread and butter and really good.
My neighbors have asked me to try to duplicate the Wickles, will give it a go this summer in a frig / sugar free version

The packets of Refrigerator mix can also be used when water bath processing. I think they have a richer flavor and more spices/seeds than her process mixes. From the FAQ:

Can I make refrigerator pickles shelf stable?
Yes, follow the direction, and then process pints 10 minutes in a boiling water bathcanner. Turn off heat, carefully remove canner lid, and let jars stand for 5 minutes incanner. Remove jars. Let jars sit undisturbed to cool at room temperature for 12 to 24hours. Test jars for airtight seals according to manufacturer’s directions.

We've been making 'regular' pickles for many years. Just recently discovered 'fermented' pickles. Excellent flavor and very easy to make. The process is very similar to sauerkraut.

We've been making 'regular' pickles for many years. Just recently discovered 'fermented' pickles. Excellent flavor and very easy to make. The process is very similar to sauerkraut.

That's what I read about on gardening forums I visit. I want to know more ?

They say its the easiest way to handle what your plants produce, ya pick a cucumber and " drop it into the fermenting jar " . Rather than having to accumulate enough to make a batch of refrigerator.

Looks great Wayne, I have never tried to make the fridge pickles. Always the hot water bath or hot mix mustard picks.
But that time is way off for us. Maybe August. Same as my jams and jellies, July.

I still have a few bottles from last year , so right on track I hope , ha ha

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky