Korean style hot wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
A bit different, I was craving that thin crust deep fried hot wings you can only get at good Korean BBQ.

So here we go. Key to making the crispy wings is all in the batter. It's pretty simple but there are a few key ingredients.

First you want to do is air dry your wings. Mix 1/4 cup of corn starch, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, and 2 tablespoons of kosher salt. I do this in a ziplock. This about enough for 1 pound. Coat the wings completely with the mixture. Place the wings on a rack over a pan and place in fridge. Best to do this overnight, minimum time is 1 hour.

While waiting for the wings to dry mix up the finishing sauce. I made a sweet spicy sauce.

1/4 cup gochujang (I used Sambal Oelek)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vineger
3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

When your wings have dried it's time to fry. I used peanut oil and ran the temp around 350-370.

While the oil is heating up its time to make the batter.

For the batter you need 1/2 cup corn starch, 1/2 cup flour 1/2 cup vodka, 1/2 +/- cup water, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. Mix everything together except water. Slowly whisk in water watch the consistency. The batter needs to ribbon off the whisk when raised and it should disappear into the batter. I used Bend distillery hatch chili vodka. It did add a bit of heat to the batter.

When the oils hot working in batches place 3-4!wings in batter. Pull out and allow batter to drain off chicken. Place in oil. Rotate and move chicken around. Pull out when chicken is golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Repeat until done.

Sauce and Serve!

b32b45f1776eee93c4839d242ab83e28.jpg

22fd58a7d7fe6e4e440971dd30ea2bec.jpg

f18f6c2be59997ef71d538c6b555c3b3.jpg

Made my wife some jalapeño cheese bread.

a364ccf0dd5807c3e8dc54d7c152c0eb.jpg

fa386bce0fa08a0dd1706878105871c9.jpg

8052d747df93f7cc84d4e5fcace4b959.jpg

e5733e01f6ec44c28f0ebffca4acff83.jpg

8e527135c296201830b03ce326c13d8c.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Last edited:
Awesome! 

When the temps get back down 'round here, I'm going to pull my disc back out. 

I like your use of a wheel for a base. I've been using an inverted turkey fryer which works well but can be a little unstable..

Awesome! 
When the temps get back down 'round here, I'm going to pull my disc back out. 
I like your use of a wheel for a base. I've been using an inverted turkey fryer which works well but can be a little unstable..

Thank you!

Yeah the burner is rock solid. Easy way to set up and the three legs makes it easy to level up.

Nicely done. Those things are an art...JJ

Case thanks I saved the recipe incase I want to fry some Chicken. Points 

Richie

Case, wow! those are amazing, I'll be saving this one to try later, I love spicy!

Thanks for the awesome recipe.

Thank you RHD! These are tasty. I don't make deep fried very often but that may change! On a side note the sauce would work good as a glaze if one wanted to just smoke these and not deep fry them.

Dominate all the leftovers. There's still sauce left which means I'll be using it on another smoke!!!

So this morning I did a bit of an experiment. I'm not a big fan of maple syrup, so I usually wont have pancakes or waffles for breakfast. I had this strange idea that the sauce from this would be good on pancakes or waffles. Guess what, it is good on waffles! The south has chicken and waffles. The Pacific Northwest now has Hot wings and Waffles! Watch out world!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky