Korean Glazed Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
The local supermarket had side ribs on sale. As usual, the ribs they have on sale are the thinnest raggedy ribs you can imagine. However, I am cheap and I do like ribs. I picked some up and wanted to do something with a Korean glaze. I had some ribs while I was travelling and I wanted to get close to those.

The ribs here come with a section cut like St Louis ribs and the breast bone area is cut off and under the nicely trimmed ribs. I peeled the silverskin off the nice ribs and cut the trim piece into 1 inch squares. I wasn't going to serve the pieces with this meal. I smoke them for rib tips and then freeze them for later use.

Korean Ribs 2.jpg
I rubbed the ribs and pieces with my basic rub.
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) brown sugar
  • 15 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne
Korean Ribs 3.jpg

I put them in the smoker at 230 F with Whiskey Oak Barrel pellets. I also had my A-Maze-N tube smoker filled with the same pellets going.

Korean Ribs 4.jpg

While they were cooking, I made the glaze.

The ingredients are:

90 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) brown sugar
100 ml (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) soy sauce
15 ml (1 tablespoon) water
8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) rice vinegar
5 ml (1 teaspoon) ketchup
5 ml (1 teaspoon) Sriracha
5 ml (1 teaspoon) sesame oil
3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
15 ml (1 tablespoon) corn starch

I mixed the first 10 ingredients together in a small saucepan.

Korean Ribs 7.jpg

I brought it to a boil. I mixed the water and cornstarch into a slurry and poured it into the glaze. I stirred until it was thickened and glossy.

Korean Ribs 8.jpg

I set the sauce aside.

After 3 hours, I put the rib pieces in a pan with 1 cup of apple juice in it and covered it with foil.

Korean Ribs 5.jpg
Korean Ribs 6.jpg

The ribs were so thin, they got to my target temperature of 185 F in about 3 hours. I brushed them with the glaze and cooked for 20. I brushed them again and cooked for another 20 minutes.

Korean Ribs 9.jpg

I brought them inside and let them sit for a few minutes before cutting them into single ribs.

Korean Ribs 10.jpg

Korean Ribs 11.jpg

We served it with She Who Must Be Obeyed's wonderful copper pennies and coleslaw.

As for the rib tips. They cooked for two hours under foil. I cool them down and vacuum bag them and store in the freezer. When I want them for an appetizer, I put them in a 230 F grill for an hour, brushing with the glaze or sauce of my choice.

The Verdict

The Korean Glaze was very tasty. The big hit is sweet with a touch of heat. I will make these again.

Disco

Another homerun disco... You knocked it out the park again .. points to you

Looks Great, Disco!!

I "Like" it a lot !!

Funny when I was stationed in Hawaii (after Vietnam), we used to have a small cook-out in the Artillery Shop every month.
My Platoon Sqt was an actual Hawaiian. So SSG Ako would bring the marinated Ribs (Loose Singles), and Grill them on his Hibatchi. They were awesome!!!
I wish I would have gotten his recipe, but I know some of the things he used in his marinade are in your Glaze.

Bear

Looks Great, Disco!!

I "Like" it a lot !!

Funny when I was stationed in Hawaii (after Vietnam), we used to have a small cook-out in the Artillery Shop every month.
My Platoon Sqt was an actual Hawaiian. So SSG Ako would bring the marinated Ribs (Loose Singles), and Grill them on his Hibatchi. They were awesome!!!
I wish I would have gotten his recipe, but I know some of the things he used in his marinade are in your Glaze.

Bear
Thanks for the point, Bear!

I know the regret of not learning from those old great cooks. When you're that age you just love the food and don't think about saving the recipe! We made some great food on Hibatchi but I suspect he had a lot more experience and it would have been something!

When I was on a ship, the coxswain and the buffer threw me out of the galley and made the best clam chowder you ever had. I have tried to recreate it without success. I should have paid more attention.

The local supermarket had side ribs on sale. As usual, the ribs they have on sale are the thinnest raggedy ribs you can imagine. However, I am cheap and I do like ribs. I picked some up and wanted to do something with a Korean glaze. I had some ribs while I was travelling and I wanted to get close to those.

The ribs here come with a section cut like St Louis ribs and the breast bone area is cut off and under the nicely trimmed ribs. I peeled the silverskin off the nice ribs and cut the trim piece into 1 inch squares. I wasn't going to serve the pieces with this meal. I smoke them for rib tips and then freeze them for later use.

View attachment 342990
I rubbed the ribs and pieces with my basic rub.
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) brown sugar
  • 15 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne
View attachment 342991

I put them in the smoker at 230 F with Whiskey Oak Barrel pellets. I also had my A-Maze-N tube smoker filled with the same pellets going.

View attachment 342992

While they were cooking, I made the glaze.

The ingredients are:

90 ml (1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon) brown sugar
100 ml (1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons) soy sauce
8 ml (1 1/2 teaspoons) rice vinegar
5 ml (1 teaspoon) ketchup
5 ml (1 teaspoon) Sriracha
5 ml (1 teaspoon) sesame oil
3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) pepper
3 ml (1/2 teaspoon) ground ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
15 ml (1 tablespoon) corn starch

I mixed the first 10 ingredients together in a small saucepan.

View attachment 342995

I brought it to a boil. I mixed the water and cornstarch into a slurry and poured it into the glaze. I stirred until it was thickened and glossy.

View attachment 342996

I set the sauce aside.

After 3 hours, I put the rib pieces in a pan with 1 cup of apple juice in it and covered it with foil.

View attachment 342993
View attachment 342994

The ribs were so thin, they got to my target temperature of 185 F in about 3 hours. I brushed them with the glaze and cooked for 20. I brushed them again and cooked for another 20 minutes.

View attachment 342997

I brought them inside and let them sit for a few minutes before cutting them into single ribs.

View attachment 342998
View attachment 342999

We served it with She Who Must Be Obeyed's wonderful copper pennies and coleslaw.

As for the rib tips. They cooked for two hours under foil. I cool them down and vacuum bag them and store in the freezer. When I want them for an appetizer, I put them in a 230 F grill for an hour, brushing with the glaze or sauce of my choice.

The Verdict

The Korean Glaze was very tasty. The big hit is sweet with a touch of heat. I will make these again.

Disco
Disco,ribs look great.Try some nice dark gochugaru when you make them next but be careful with the stuff.
"LIKE"

Bill

Some very nice looking ribs, Disco. Certainly point (like) worthy for thinking outside of the box.

An Asian flavor profile, especially Korean, has long been my favorite way to go with pork ribs. I normally use spare ribs trimmed St Louis style and make a traditional Korean barbecue sauce known as ssamjang. I'll marinate the ribs in some of the sauce for 24 hours, then remove the excess sauce and cook them sous vide for 12 hours at 160F. From there, it's into the smoker set at 230F for around 3 hours, or until the meat starts pulling back off of the bone. We typically serve them with rice and kimchi. Makes a great meal.

Great job!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky