Korean BBQ Pork Jerky Time....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Had some awhile back... Darn good....  Sooooo, the butt in the refer got reallocated to jerky somehow..   Tried to trim out the lean stuff and saved the fat and fatty meat for breakfast sausage, one of these days...

Searched a plenty...   finally I chose "The Squishy Monster" recipe..  You can look it up on her web page....   and what I did different....

Soy Sauce + Soy Vey + Red Boat fish sauce + sesame oil + brown sugar + grated Fuji Apple + dried onion flakes +dried minced garlic + grated ginger + Cracked Black Pepper.....

That mix smells soooooo good...... 

Put it in a plastic bread sack...   Kneaded it and vacuum marinade to speed up the process..   about 3 sucks and all the liquid was in the meat... 

I followed her method for skewering the meat....   I put the smoker rack on a tub...  lowered a hunk of meat between the wires on the meat rack and slid the skewer through the meat and repeat...   Simple....  easy...   that tall tub made life easy...  I did NOT rinse or dry the meat before putting in the smoker...

It's in the smoker.....  NO SMOKE...   I want to taste the Korean stuff AND I didn't want the pork to taste like ham sooooo  there's NO CURE #1 in the recipe...

The smoker is running at 170º F...  in 5-10 hours I should be able to taste some...

........2# Pork butt lean.........                 ..lots of CBP .............                    ...into the bread sack and adding the other stuff.....

... Ginger root............                         ...Garlic and onion.....                                  .... Apple.........                            ... everything else......  

.................. smooshed around.......                                                                                       ... in the vac canister.....

...skewering to fit the MES 30 rack..    ... the tub to hold up the rack....      ...into the smoker to dry......  

The remaining butt fat and fatty hunks of meat is waiting in the freezer for something else....

BBL folks....  thanks for looking.....

Looks great and those flavored are fantastic on pork or beef...JJ

Sounds great Dave, thanks for sharing the how-to. I might just make some of that. 
icon14.gif

Dave,

Thanks for the link to this thread.  Considering doing some pork Jerky in the near future and since I have some Red Boat fish sauce........

Last edited:

Thanks for the compliments folks..  

Well, other that takin a nap that lasted longer than expected, The flavor is very good...  I'm keeping this recipe...    And as JJ noted, the flavor is good enough to other stuff...

Hey Dave,

Saw this post and then watched the video of the recipe creator.  Had a few of quick questions since I have never made jerky before.  
  1. The recipe has no cure.  Is that ok since the relatively higher cooking temp will get them way past 140 in the first 4 hours?
  2. She says they can be stored at room temp but that doesn't seem right to me.  Is that because of the drying that it is safe?  
  3. Is there a major difference between slicing with or against the grain in texture?  Which do you prefer?
  4. How do you tell when they are done?  She says 6-8 hours but is there a more definitive way to know when you should stop cooking?
Thanks so much,

Chris

Thanks for the compliments folks..  

Well, other that takin a nap that lasted longer than expected, The flavor is very good...  I'm keeping this recipe...    And as JJ noted, the flavor is good enough to other stuff...

Hey Dave,

Saw this post and then watched the video of the recipe creator.  Had a few of quick questions since I have never made jerky before.  
  1. The recipe has no cure.  Is that ok since the relatively higher cooking temp will get them way past 140 in the first 4 hours? If you get the temp up to 160+ deg. F while the meat is wet with the marinade, then all the bacteria is killed.. It shouldn't be smoked because the burning of wood consumes oxygen and botulism is a threat..  If you smoke it, add cure.. then the temp can be lowered for the drying process..  there should be enough salt in the recipe to further kill bacteria...  I think that amount is around 3%..  not sure..
  2. She says they can be stored at room temp but that doesn't seem right to me.  Is that because of the drying that it is safe?  Yep.. Aw around 0.85 makes it safe..
  3. Is there a major difference between slicing with or against the grain in texture?  Which do you prefer?  Old teeth like across...  less chewing..
  4. How do you tell when they are done?  She says 6-8 hours but is there a more definitive way to know when you should stop cooking?  Depends on the humidity and temp.. A bend test, when the meat cools is one indicator..  You want the meat to bend and then crack, or something like that..  warm meat will just bend... Also depends on meat thickness..  Just make sure it's dry..   If you leave it out, it won't last long enough to go bad...  That batch lasted 3 days sitting on the counter..  I even made special trips to the kitchen to grab a few hunks...  
Thanks so much,

Chris

Looks Great!.. I went to her website and the Korean Jerky link is down, but not to be discouraged it was partially available on another..
  • 1-2 lbs meat {I used brisket, you can use top round, venision, etc}
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/2 c soy sauce
  • 1 tb sesame oil
  • 1 tb sesame seeds
  • 2 tb brown sugar
  • 1/2 grated Asian pear/apple
  • 1/2 sliced onion
  • 2-3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1 ts grated ginger
and with your thread I hope to make some tasty jerky soon!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky