Korean Barbeque Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
Good afternoon!
A few days ago I posted about seasoning a Wok for my KUDU grill. Finally got a chance to try it out.
We picked a recipe called "Korean Barbeque Beef.
Mixed a marinade of:
1/3 cup lower sodium Soy Sauce
3 tb white sugar
2 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Sesame Seeds
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Course Black pepper
2 sliced Green Onions (Scallions for you fancy folks)

Sliced up 1# of Ribeye and about half of a Vidalia and put them in the marinade for about an hour and a half.
ribeye sliced.jpg marinate.jpg
That .98# of Ribeye was $19.79 folks. It's getting ugly out there.

Got a fire going. added a little oil and cooked the carrots (2 thinly sliced) about 4 minutes.
fire.jpg carrots.jpg

Took off the Carrots and cooked the Beef/Marinade a bit in 2 batches until it looked done, then threw it all together
to stir up until done.
steak and sauce.jpg done.jpg

Plated with Rice and thin sliced "Scallions".
stir fry plate.jpg

This was my first stir fry and Wok cook, but we were both impressed.
It was also the first cook I've done in a while where there weren't any leftovers LOL!
This isn't an "easy" meal. Lots of fine slicing and once you start you have to keep on it. No dilly dallying.
We're already looking at recipes for the next one, but steak won't be involved :-)

Thanks for looking and keep trying new things.
Dan

Fantastic job!

Perhaps a mandolin will make your life easier?

And I've used pork and chicken in my wok as well..they all make delicious recipes.

I bet any stove top wok recipe will work for you as well.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Looks real good from my screen. I really want to get a wok for my kettle. I like stir fries, and yours look perfect

Point for sure
Chris

Looks great! Totally jealous, no room in the garage to fire up my wok. Good call on the low sodium soy. Recipe looks like an adaptation of bulgogi.

Not sure how hot you guys can get your grills but wok cooking is done the hotter the better. You might think it doesn't affect the flavor but it does. Slowly work your way up and keep an extinguisher handy. Thing he's doing at the end with the fire is deliberate and is called wok hei.

kilo charlie kilo charlie beat me. Mandoline will be speed it up if knife skills are slow. Also a slam chopper for veggies is cool to have.

Looks delicious.
This bulgogi marinade is great for a stir fry. But bulgogi is cooked with the sliced beef laying flat on a very hot grill/skillet for maybe 15 seconds per side, which gives a much different texture.
An example is here:

Thanks to everyone for the likes and comments :-)
They're much appreciated!
I'll check into a Mandoline. I used a small very sharp knife and It was a little too close to my fingers for comfort LOL!
gmc2003, I'm not sure what a gourmet grate is but a vortex just might work with a lot of wood chunks for flame. The "cooking time" was only about 15 minutes total.
I'm sure you know you'll need long handled utensils utensils.jpg
I'll check into this Bulgogi...
Dan

Love that grill!
We have a 22” propane fired wok that makes Chinese food as good as any Chinese restaurant, actually better, cause we know what’s in it. Can’t beat a good stir-fry. We like shrimp & broccoli, but yours sure looks good!
Al

Love that grill!
We have a 22” propane fired wok that makes Chinese food as good as any Chinese restaurant, actually better, cause we know what’s in it. Can’t beat a good stir-fry. We like shrimp & broccoli, but yours sure looks good!
Al
Thanks, Al!
I saw some of those cookers at the International Market while I was Wok shopping. They're huge!
Funny, but we've been together 20 years and I didn't know my wife likes stir-fry. When we order Chinese she always gets General Tso's Chicken....

Al is right, good stir fry is hard to beat. Once I finally get some room I plan to run a few threads on stir fry. I have studied it quite a bit and a pattern has emerged. You already know the first, low sodium soy. Also the second, high heat. The 3rd is the asian "trinity" being garlic, ginger, and green onion. From here there are usually a few authentic ingredients necessary for the dish. IE Bulgogi, I think you need gochujang. This one look pretty close to what are in my books including the use of fruit as a sweetener (another trick) https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/21/korean-beef-bulgogi/

I suppose you could use a wood fire to hit the proper temps but my wok fits in my propane cajun cooker from homebrewing. I just need to make a stand to get it to the right height. I look forward to more wok/stir fry threads. Not kidding: a retired chinese restauraneur has agreed to come to my place and help me.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Al is right, good stir fry is hard to beat. Once I finally get some room I plan to run a few threads on stir fry. I have studied it quite a bit and a pattern has emerged. You already know the first, low sodium soy. Also the second, high heat. The 3rd is the asian "trinity" being garlic, ginger, and green onion. From here there are usually a few authentic ingredients necessary for the dish. IE Bulgogi, I think you need gochujang. This one look pretty close to what are in my books including the use of fruit as a sweetener (another trick) https://damndelicious.net/2019/04/21/korean-beef-bulgogi/

I suppose you could use a wood fire to hit the proper temps but my wok fits in my propane cajun cooker from homebrewing. I just need to make a stand to get it to the right height. I look forward to more wok/stir fry threads. Not kidding: a retired chinese restauraneur has agreed to come to my place and help me.
I've noticed that almost all the recipes call for Garlic, Ginger and Green Onion. A collection we have always says to cut the Ginger into "matchsticks".
Does that just mean tiny slivers?
Looking forward to those threads and please include the recipes :-)

Reactions: zwiller
Good afternoon!
A few days ago I posted about seasoning a Wok for my KUDU grill. Finally got a chance to try it out.
We picked a recipe called "Korean Barbeque Beef.
Mixed a marinade of:
1/3 cup lower sodium Soy Sauce
3 tb white sugar
2 tsp Sesame Oil
2 tsp Sesame Seeds
2 tsp Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp Course Black pepper
2 sliced Green Onions (Scallions for you fancy folks)

Sliced up 1# of Ribeye and about half of a Vidalia and put them in the marinade for about an hour and a half.
View attachment 501129 View attachment 501130
That .98# of Ribeye was $19.79 folks. It's getting ugly out there.

Got a fire going. added a little oil and cooked the carrots (2 thinly sliced) about 4 minutes.
View attachment 501134 View attachment 501133

Took off the Carrots and cooked the Beef/Marinade a bit in 2 batches until it looked done, then threw it all together
to stir up until done.
View attachment 501136 View attachment 501137

Plated with Rice and thin sliced "Scallions".
View attachment 501139

This was my first stir fry and Wok cook, but we were both impressed.
It was also the first cook I've done in a while where there weren't any leftovers LOL!
This isn't an "easy" meal. Lots of fine slicing and once you start you have to keep on it. No dilly dallying.
We're already looking at recipes for the next one, but steak won't be involved :-)

Thanks for looking and keep trying new things.
Dan
That looks absolutely amazing! The cooker looks awesome. Big LIKE.

I love that style. My great aunt was Korean and we all learned to make a beef dish with really similar marinade. Thin sliced round roast about 1/4". Throw on smoking hot grill and basically a full grill will just work to flip from one side to the other end. Cooks super fast, relatively cheap and easy to serve.

I use the minced ginger that you get in the tube but some people like the ginger in sticks. That's preference thing. Sticks will be fresher and better per se but a little too strong for me. Anything made with that trinity will taste asian. Of all the books I have only one spoke of this but indeed nearly all the recipes have it. Make stir fry with the trinity you are now cooking at least what I call "food court level". :emoji_laughing:

I am not so sure I am going to get recipes from her but somewhat sure I will get her sauce base. IE a sauce that can be made into garlic, brown, szechuan, etc.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky