Kielbasa Joe's Scores Big

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

redheelerdog

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 4, 2011
Montana - Big Sky Country
So I finally got around to making the batch of Kielbasa that our friendly member Boykjo so kindly sent me the spices sample in the mail.

I used 7lbs of pork butt and 3lbs of elk.

I must say, this is the BEST Kielbasa I have ever tasted, and another big plus, the wife loved it too!

I smoked at a temp of ~170F with apple wood until the Kielbasa reached ~145F, about 4-5 hrs. Then I finished in a hot water bath to an IT of 160F, pulled and a dunk in an ice water bath finished the cooking process.

This stuff is amazing good, not too spicy or overpowering, the first thing that comes to mind after you swallow some is... hmmm, I want another piece of that! The home from college boys thought the same!

Thanks so much Joe for sending your sample, I will be in touch for more.

Thanks for looking and thanks to Boykjo!

Good stuff right there.

sausage.gif

Nice K'basa, Red! I got a care package from Boykjo last year myself and it was great! I wish I knew the ingredients. Alas, mine wasn't as pretty as yours.

Dan

So I finally got around to making the batch of Kielbasa that our friendly member Boykjo so kindly sent me the spices sample in the mail.

I used 7lbs of pork butt and 3lbs of elk.

I must say, this is the BEST Kielbasa I have ever tasted, and another big plus, the wife loved it too!

I smoked at a temp of ~170F with apple wood until the Kielbasa reached ~145F, about 4-5 hrs. Then I finished in a hot water bath to an IT of 160F, pulled and a dunk in an ice water bath finished the cooking process.

This stuff is amazing good, not too spicy or overpowering, the first thing that comes to mind after you swallow some is... hmmm, I want another piece of that! The home from college boys thought the same!

Thanks so much Joe for sending your sample, I will be in touch for more.

Thanks for looking and thanks to Boykjo!
Glad you enjoyed it.............. Nice looking kielbasa

Points!

Joe

Dang it man!!!! that looks great,,, Nice job and the texture looks awesome, Kuddos to Boyjko also, that is awesome what he did. 

POINT!!! to you sir. 

DS

Great looking sausage. Color,texture and crisp casing. Do you tie all your sausage like that? Does it help in the smoke or us it just a traditional thing. Up until this year I have always smoked my sausage in large coils. This year will be my first year of hung up smoking. Just curious.

Great looking sausage. Color,texture and crisp casing. Do you tie all your sausage like that? Does it help in the smoke or us it just a traditional thing. Up until this year I have always smoked my sausage in large coils. This year will be my first year of hung up smoking. Just curious.
Thanks fellas. I usually make them in large loops like that and hang them to smoke. Just personal preference. Have fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky