Kettle Yard bird with the Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Another cook with the new toy.
I had not done a beer can Chicken in at least 5 years. Since getting the Vortex and seeing posts about using it for Infer-red cooking, I thought I would give it a try with beer can chicken.
Vortex Chicken Pit Ready.jpg

I put a foil pan under to catch the drippings and keep the kettle clean

Vortex Chicken Pit Hot.jpg

I was not sure the best way to set it up, I went with the minion method. (For those of you that have used the Vortex, is this the best method?)

Vortex Chicken 1.jpg

I used Dirty Bird Rub (mid way though the cook)

Veggies.jpg

Since I was outside in the heat, why not grill some veggies for a pasta salad

Vortex Chicken 2.jpeg

Ready to come off.... I used way more charcoal than I needed.

Vortex Chicken 3.jpeg

Finished!

Vortex Chicken Final.jpg

Side Orzo pasta salad with grilled veggies, feta, fresh oregano tossed with a homemade lemon vinaigrette

Really loving the Vortex!

- Jason

Wow Jason, what can I say? We love doing salads with orzo but OMG, that bird looks spectacular!! Just gorgeous color on that thing...and you'll get a handle on how much charcoal to use :emoji_wink: Just takes a couple times to dial it in. Keep those posts coming sir!! I'm loving what you're turning out with that new toy.

Robert

Reactions: millerbuilds
Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wow Jason, what can I say? We love doing salads with orzo but OMG, that bird looks spectacular!! Just gorgeous color on that thing...and you'll get a handle on how much charcoal to use :emoji_wink: Just takes a couple times to dial it in. Keep those posts coming sir!! I'm loving what you're turning out with that new toy.

Robert
Thanks Robert, grilling the veggies made the salad even better! I was happy with the color, but used way too much charcoal. I was able to snuff it out and save quite a bit of it.
- Jason
Nice work Jason!, I have not used my vortex for this yet going to have to try. Did you spread the hot coals all the way around the vortex or did you just light one end.
Thanks, yes I spread the coals around. However I did not need as much cold charcoal as I used.

- Jason

A fine lookin' cook there Jason, great color and good work! I was going to use my Vortex on some bird legs today, decided to bread and fry them in olive oil instead RAY

Reactions: millerbuilds
A fine lookin' cook there Jason, great color and good work! I was going to use my Vortex on some bird legs today, decided to bread and fry them in olive oil instead RAY
Ray, Thank you and that sounds good as well. Have you ever tried the Ballistic BBQ version of Fried Chicken? Check out their video on YouTube. It really works!

- Jason
Great cook and love that Dirty Bird!
And now I need a kettle 🙄

Keith
Thanks Keith! I love the Dirty Bird as well, not many commercially made rubs that I buy, but Dirty Bird is one.
- Jason

Chicken looks good. I hope that's not galvanized screen that the veggies are sitting on.
Thanks, no it is not galvanized screen, it is a non stick grill mat, they are great for veggies and seafood.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky