Keto, the time has come, long over due really.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We love these pumpkin bars during the holidays as well. Kind of like a pumpkin roll in bar form.
BCDAEFE7-0447-4BF0-AC17-8EF7AC068034.jpeg

Try Allulose. It has the least after taste and no cooling effect. Google keto mug cakes too. There are some great ones. I honestly don’t mind erythritol either. Just know in higher amounts it has a little cooling effect on the tongue. I’m not a keto “purist” and have no issues with using sucralose either. Splenda in powdered form has to much maltodextrin but liquid sucralose is perfect for sweetening drinks.
forktender forktender , what ^^^ said lol.

Allulose and Erytritol are going to be your best bet.

They both taste like sugar but are only about 70% as sweet.
Both are naturally occurring in the world, meaning a man didn't mix chemicals in a lab to invent them.
Both are easy on the digestive system as long as you don't eat like 100gms in a sitting. Even then I know Erythritol will make you go to the bathroom like coffee makes most people go. The other man made alternatives can have major laxative effects... not fun lol.
Both work in about the same amount by weight as far as I can tell.
Both avoid causing an insulin response which is a big deal. Insulin leads to fat creation when the excess glucose is not immediately burned up.
Both are zero calorie, zero net carb. (you pee and poop this all out)

Where they differ:
  • Erythritol can have a slight cooling effect when higher amounts used, think like a little bit of a mint cooling effect. I don't really notice it anymore or I don't use enough to get it in many cases. It's not uncomfortable at all and is often refreshing especially during hot TX times of the year hahah
  • Erythritol is MUCH less expensive and more widely available (avoid Swerve and you avoid the high markup, good prices can be found online)
  • Erythritol will crystalize up on you if it dissolves and then gets exposed to air (made home made sugar free gummy bears and after 1 day in the fridge they have a light coating from the sweetener recrystallizing) if making a cake icing this will not be an issue. Takes more time to dissolve.
  • Erythritol is usually a granulated sugar consistency

• Allulose has no cooling effect or anything like that
  • Allulose is definitely more expensive and harder to get your hands on (usually you can only find online)
  • Allulose dissolves and does not recrystallize so was a better option for my sugar free gummy bear treats. Dissolves faster and easier since it is finer grain.
  • Allulose is a finer grain consistency. Consistency is between powdered sugar and granulated sugar.

I use both but 95% of the time I'm going with Erythritol. Alluose is used when I need no crystallization to occur, which is only in a couple of cases for me and the things I make.

Here's some options for you:

Allulose $9.50/lb

Erythritol $4.75/lb

I hope this info helps :)

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
What are some examples of the real sugar use you miss and pasta dishes?
As far as sugary foids go it would be cookies and baked goods. Pastas would be marinara, and rigatoni or Pena.

Try Allulose. It has the least after taste and no cooling effect. Google keto mug cakes too. There are some great ones. I honestly don’t mind erythritol either. Just know in higher amounts it has a little cooling effect on the tongue. I’m not a keto “purist” and have no issues with using sucralose either. Splenda in powdered form has to much maltodextrin but liquid sucralose is perfect for sweetening drinks.
For sure I will be trying these.
Thank you very much.
Dan

Last week, my wife and I had our yearly physicals and I gained some unneeded Covid weight, so it's time to crack down and lose some of it for health reasons. This isn't going to be easy, as we love our carbs in our house. I need to find a few things, if you could help me, I'd surely appreciate it. Here are a few things that I need to find a substitute for.

#1: bread, both sandwich and dinner rolls.
#2: tortillas and pasta.
#3: flour.
#4:BBQ sauce .
#5: recipes, techniques, and ideas.

Thank you.

It may not be as bad as you think. You may want to "join" MyFitnessPal (MFP) to find out what you daily caloric intake should be to maintain your current weight...then drop it 500 calories per day to lose about a pound per week. MFP can also calculate your max carbs per day. For me it is about 55 for my height/weight/age. I know you have pages of advice before this post so I won't bore you any longer except for this....I lost 80 pounds in 18 months while still drinking bourbon... (250 lbs down to 170 lbs).
  • I did Keto for about 1/3 of that,
  • weight watchers for the next 1/3 and something really crazy,
  • counting calories (i.e. portion control) and doing exercise to lose the last 1/3 (it'll never catch on!)
Good luck! Send a PM if you want more info on MFP.

If I don't respond to posts right away it's because I am dog sitting and have crappy internet at the place I am staying. I will check this thread as soon as I get to an area that has a better web connection.

I am very grateful for everyone that has responded to this thread. It really means a lot to me.

Thank you all VERY MUCH!!!!
Dan

Reactions: jcam222 and zwiller
It may not be as bad as you think. You may want to "join" MyFitnessPal (MFP) to find out what you daily caloric intake should be to maintain your current weight...then drop it 500 calories per day to lose about a pound per week. MFP can also calculate your max carbs per day. For me it is about 55 for my height/weight/age. I know you have pages of advice before this post so I won't bore you any longer except for this....I lost 80 pounds in 18 months while still drinking bourbon... (250 lbs down to 170 lbs).
  • I did Keto for about 1/3 of that,
  • weight watchers for the next 1/3 and something really crazy,
  • counting calories (i.e. portion control) and doing exercise to lose the last 1/3 (it'll never catch on!)
Good luck! Send a PM if you want more info on MFP.
Congratulations, that is awesome!!!!

I will check it out when I have a better internet connection.

You would think, that living smack dab, in a huge city that they could figure out how to supply a useful internet/cell reception. I have to sit out in the back yard. In one spot to get a signal. Hahaha!

I'm pretty much staying at a friend's house for the next few days watching his dog, 140 pound male Labrador retriever.
He's not fat, just BIG!!!

Reactions: uncle eddie
forktender forktender , what ^^^ said lol.

Allulose and Erytritol are going to be your best bet.

They both taste like sugar but are only about 70% as sweet.
Both are naturally occurring in the world, meaning a man didn't mix chemicals in a lab to invent them.
Both are easy on the digestive system as long as you don't eat like 100gms in a sitting. Even then I know Erythritol will make you go to the bathroom like coffee makes most people go. The other man made alternatives can have major laxative effects... not fun lol.
Both work in about the same amount by weight as far as I can tell.
Both avoid causing an insulin response which is a big deal. Insulin leads to fat creation when the excess glucose is not immediately burned up.
Both are zero calorie, zero net carb. (you pee and poop this all out)

Where they differ:
  • Erythritol can have a slight cooling effect when higher amounts used, think like a little bit of a mint cooling effect. I don't really notice it anymore or I don't use enough to get it in many cases. It's not uncomfortable at all and is often refreshing especially during hot TX times of the year hahah
  • Erythritol is MUCH less expensive and more widely available (avoid Swerve and you avoid the high markup, good prices can be found online)
  • Erythritol will crystalize up on you if it dissolves and then gets exposed to air (made home made sugar free gummy bears and after 1 day in the fridge they have a light coating from the sweetener recrystallizing) if making a cake icing this will not be an issue. Takes more time to dissolve.
  • Erythritol is usually a granulated sugar consistency

• Allulose has no cooling effect or anything like that
  • Allulose is definitely more expensive and harder to get your hands on (usually you can only find online)
  • Allulose dissolves and does not recrystallize so was a better option for my sugar free gummy bear treats. Dissolves faster and easier since it is finer grain.
  • Allulose is a finer grain consistency. Consistency is between powdered sugar and granulated sugar.

I use both but 95% of the time I'm going with Erythritol. Alluose is used when I need no crystallization to occur, which is only in a couple of cases for me and the things I make.

Here's some options for you:

Allulose $9.50/lb

Erythritol $4.75/lb

I hope this info helps :)
Good post! I also use allulose in any sauces such as a caramel sauce. I am going to try using it in my next korean bbq sauce and use brown sugar flavoring instead of using Brown swerve due to crystallization. I tend to use it now in many of my desserts too. I buy it by the 5 lbs bag to save a little. I do also love Swerve Brown. It’s simply hard to beat as a brown sugar sub. I also use Golden Lakanto which is a blend of erythritol and monk fruit. Such a nice mapely taste to it. The other thing I do is research mt sweeteners prior to bribing on the house as there are a couple that are deadly to dogs. Xylitol is a huge no no and deadly to dogs in very small amounts. I won’t have it or products either it in my house. I recently discovered that a sweetener called Boca sweet likely had similar impact on dogs due to its chemical similarity to xylitol.

Relative to apps and low carb / keto lifestyle you may find Carb Manager very handy. Will track calories and macros if you want to get really dialed in.

Good post! I also use allulose in any sauces such as a caramel sauce. I am going to try using it in my next korean bbq sauce and use brown sugar flavoring instead of using Brown swerve due to crystallization. I tend to use it now in many of my desserts too. I buy it by the 5 lbs bag to save a little. I do also love Swerve Brown. It’s simply hard to beat as a brown sugar sub. I also use Golden Lakanto which is a blend of erythritol and monk fruit. Such a nice mapely taste to it. The other thing I do is research mt sweeteners prior to bribing on the house as there are a couple that are deadly to dogs. Xylitol is a huge no no and deadly to dogs in very small amounts. I won’t have it or products either it in my house. I recently discovered that a sweetener called Boca sweet likely had similar impact on dogs due to its chemical similarity to xylitol.
My wife, has been in the veterinary field for over 35 yrs, she warned me how deadly it can be to animals.
I keep my Keto treats where our dog can't get to them after hearing that news.

Reactions: jcam222
3 week update.
I've found it easier than I thought to go full Keto.
Today was weigh in day and I've lost 13 lbs so far.
I'm pretty tired of eating like a bunny, but I'm sticking with it.
When people tell me I'm full of crap, I just agree with them now. I know it's T.M.I but holy cow eating this way makes you crap like an elephant 3X a day is normal now .
I haven't felt the need for a cheat day yet, thanks to you guys, but I know it's coming.
I'm going to try to make it until Christmas dinner.

Thank you all very much, I couldn't of done it without y'all.

37 more pounds to go, then I might adjust the goal weight.

I just found out that I might need another spinal fusion, not to thrilled about the recovery period.
I'll know more by next week.

Being lighter will be huge if I do go under the knife again.
Brutal!!!!!

Dan.

P.S. If I do need surgery I won't do it until waterfowl season is over in January. I live for this crap.
Wish me luck.

Reactions: zwiller
3 week update.
I've found it easier than I thought to go full Keto.
Today was weigh in day and I've lost 13 lbs so far.
I'm pretty tired of eating like a bunny, but I'm sticking with it.
When people tell me I'm full of crap, I just agree with them now. I know it's T.M.I but holy cow eating this way makes you crap like an elephant 3X a day is normal now .
I haven't felt the need for a cheat day yet, thanks to you guys, but I know it's coming.
I'm going to try to make it until Christmas dinner.

Thank you all very much, I couldn't of done it without y'all.

37 more pounds to go, then I might adjust the goal weight.

I just found out that I might need another spinal fusion, not to thrilled about the recovery period.
I'll know more by next week.

Being lighter will be huge if I do go under the knife again.
Brutal!!!!!

Dan.

P.S. If I do need surgery I won't do it until waterfowl season is over in January. I live for this crap.
Wish me luck.

Congrats on the progress! Keep it up!
I hope you get to bag plenty of ducks soon as well :)

Reactions: forktender
I started doing Keto in late Nov. of 2021, because of high blood pressure, hell everything was high. My retest last month my blood pressure was completely normal. My cholesterol levels where completely normal and my blood sugars are completely normal and I'm off all of the med's that my Dr had me on for them. Today was weigh in day ,and I've lost a total of 55 lbs, 5 lbs away from my goal weight loss of 60 lbs by the end of June. If I make it I will weigh 5lbs less than the day that I got married 20+ yrs ago.

So, I wanted to sincerely thank you all for the encouraging words, and support, it was a huge help.

Thank you.
Dan.

PS, 5 more pounds until I can eat a couple slices of PIZZA as my reward meal, then right back to watching what I eat.:emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
I started doing Keto in late Nov. of 2021, because of high blood pressure, hell everything was high. My retest last month my blood pressure was completely normal. My cholesterol levels where completely normal and my blood sugars are completely normal and I'm off all of the med's that my Dr had me on for them. Today was weigh in day ,and I've lost a total of 55 lbs, 5 lbs away from my goal weight loss of 60 lbs by the end of June. If I make it I will weigh 5lbs less than the day that I got married 20+ yrs ago.

So, I wanted to sincerely thank you all for the encouraging words, and support, it was a huge help.

Thank you.
Dan.

PS, 5 more pounds until I can eat a couple slices of PIZZA as my reward meal, then right back to watching what I eat.:emoji_sunglasses:

Dan this is fantastic. Good for you . I know this must have been very hard to do and stick with.
Good on you. You have this 5 more pounds .
I bet you are really feeling the difference.

David

Reactions: forktender
Dan this is fantastic. Good for you . I know this must have been very hard to do and stick with.
Good on you. You have this 5 more pounds .
I bet you are really feeling the difference.

David
I feel better mentally than physically, David. My back has been really acting up, they want to do another spinal fusion as the disc above my last fusion is pretty much gone. I was hoping that the weight loss would help my back, but it's too far gone, apparently. I'm going to wait until after the summer too asses how I'm feeling after a summer of water rehab and more weight loss, as I will most likely end up wanting to drop a total of 15 more lbs to be back too my athletic weight.
But all in all, I'm feeling much better both mentally and physically, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, if I can do it anybody can.

Thanks for the positive feedback, it is appreciated more than you will ever know.

My wife and I went out a few nights ago, and I wore my wedding ring for the first time in 20 yrs. When she noticed it on my finger, she broke into tears, and that's a rarity for her, all I could do was laugh with her, actually at her. LOL

Honestly, if anyone reading this needs to get healthier, it's only a few cheeseburgers, pizzas, plates of pasta and or tamales away. And you can do it without adding exercise, I had to because of my back. I did it by cutting out 100% of my sugar intake and 95% of my total carb intake. (And it wasn't that bad) Really it wasn't !!!

Last edited:
Sorry about your back . But that really is fantastic about the weight . I am still pretty active with work so my weight is not that bad for me . I never was a big guy ,but I really notice if I add a few pounds on me.

So to help Mona a couple years ago I went on a diet with her and I dropped 15 pounds in 4 weeks . The first week was hard but than I was surprised how you get used to not having the sugars and salt. And eating more veg and the right portions of proteins.

(And it wasn't that bad) Really it wasn't !!!
I bet it was not that bad :emoji_laughing: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

David

That's awesome Dan! Was curious as to how it was going for you. That's awesome on your weight loss...and like David said...you got this! I believe if your mindset is right you can do anything...I quit smoking cold turkey just over a year ago and it didn't bother me. The back issues still suck but you got a whole pan worth of brownie points from your wife for wearing your ring!

Ryan

I'm glad to hear about the great results! I stare at food of any kind and put on weight but I'm doing pretty good.

I can't say I'm doing exact keto because I don't watch my Fat calories vs Protein calories but I do basically no added sugar and usually am under 25gm of net carbs a day.

I enjoy it. Eating good meat and good veggies and the substitutes i've found dont have me missing much :)

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear about the great results! I stare at food of any kind and put on weight but I'm doing pretty good.

I can't say I'm doing exact keto because I don't watch my Fat calories vs Protein calories but I do basically no added sugar and usually am under 25gm of net carbs a day.

I enjoy it. Eating good meat and good veggies and the substitutes i've found dont have me missing much :)
I was really strict about the diet for the first 3 months, then I called it lazy man's keto. I quit keeping track of calories and ate up to 60 carbs per day, and I was still dropping lbs. It was a lot slower, but I didn't feel so restricted. I never really had a full blown cheat day, although I have used a handful of low carb bread crumbs that I made out of old low carb bread by drying it in the oven. I mixed the bread crumbs with Carbquick to dredge some fish also some eggplant for eggplant parm, you'd never know it was not real breading. I haven't eaten fruit or real bread since Dec. That is going to change, I'm going to allow myself bread once per week to see how it goes, if I have to I'll cut it out again.
Pasta, I'll eat it once a month and watch myself to make sure I'm not putting weight on. I doubt that a carb filled meal once or twice a month will change much with my weight loss goals, we'll see how it works out.
I just started having a beer to four a week with zero impact on my weight.

The summer months around the pool with all the good food and drinks is going to be interesting. I'm going to allow myself a 5 lb swing. If I put one 4 to 5 lbs, it's back to being strict until it's gone again. I'm going to play around with my diet a little to see what I can and can't get away with.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
I was really strict about the diet for the first 3 months, then I called it lazy man's keto. I quit keeping track of calories and ate up to 60 carbs per day, and I was still dropping lbs. It was a lot slower, but I didn't feel so restricted. I never really had a full blown cheat day, although I have used a handful of low carb bread crumbs that I made out of old low carb bread by drying it in the oven. I mixed the bread crumbs with Carbquick to dredge some fish also some eggplant for eggplant parm, you'd never know it was not real breading. I haven't eaten fruit or real bread since Dec. That is going to change, I'm going to allow myself bread once per week to see how it goes, if I have to I'll cut it out again.
Pasta, I'll eat it once a month and watch myself to make sure I'm not putting weight on. I doubt that a carb filled meal once or twice a month will change much with my weight loss goals, we'll see how it works out.
I just started having a beer to four a week with zero impact on my weight.

The summer months around the pool with all the good food and drinks is going to be interesting. I'm going to allow myself a 5 lb swing. If I put one 4 to 5 lbs, it's back to being strict until it's gone again. I'm going to play around with my diet a little to see what I can and can't get away with.
For pasta I have a solution you can use no matter what my friend.

Aldi's used to have a less expensive option but seem to always be out these days. Supply chain woes.

Anyhow these are mostly protein and only take like 4 minutes max to in boiling water to give a perfect al dente texture.
The net carbs are really low, especially when compared to actual pasta. You wont recognize the difference. I make spaghetti with them when I have company so I dont pig out on the whole thing because its soooo good :D

I think your plan is fine. Keep on it. If I increasted my activity level it would help but I also have a disc in my back and 2 ridiculous ankles that keep me from being too active. I have to go get my ankles looked at. Maybe in Jan. I don't know what it will be like to have both ankles scoped at once. Figure I could get 1 at a time done but then thats like 4-5 solid months of fooling with bad ankles. The back is just management, no doctor will touch that disk due to it being where the tailbone starts and they just say to manage with inflamation meds.
I'll get it sorted out but in reality I can't complain, I'm 100% mobile I just cant go sprinting around and doing things to aggravate the conditions :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky