Keto Sweet Mango Hot Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jeff that looks great . I took a quick look , because believe it or not still a bit queasy from the other week . Lol .
That color is really nice . I used nice bottles also .

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff that looks great . I took a quick look , because believe it or not still a bit queasy from the other week . Lol .
That color is really nice . I used nice bottles also .
Man those reapers messed you up!! 😆 The bonnet and habanero are much easier to work with and process / taste test. Honestly disappointed in the heat in these huge Kroger sourced habanero. I think they may actually be a hybrid or reduced heat genotype. That’s why I have bonnets in for a kicker haha

Reactions: chopsaw
I have to get into this, what is everyone using for fermenting equipment?
I've been using mostly quart Mason jars with airlocks and weights, but even doing that, I've had occasional bad batches. Santa brought me an E-Jen fermentation container designed for making kimchi, but which seem to be set up perfectly for trouble free hot sauce -- and other vegetable -- ferments. You can buy them in various sizes on Amazon. I'll use one with my next batch of pepper sauce.

Reactions: clifish
I’ve meant to try a sweeter “fruity” version for awhile. Finally processed some yesterday. Started out with about a 6 week old 3.5% brine Yellow Scotch Bonnet ferment. (One was used at 4 weeks for my Jamaican Fire sauce) View attachment 652794For the mango flavoring I used about a cup of this Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry Mango. Super low sugar and straight mango flavor. No hint of cranberry. If u you ou do low sugar for any reason and haven’t tried this line of drinks you should they have pineapple, grape and cherry versions too View attachment 652795To give it a more pronounced mango flavor I added about a dropper and a half of Oooflavors Ripe Mango. This company has an INSANE selection of flavorings. I also just bought pineapple and corn tortilla flavor.View attachment 652796Also added around 2 cups of brine and 1/4 cup white vinegar along with 4T Splenda and 1/4t xanthan. Mixed multiple times in the Vitamix while adjusting taste. The Vitamix works so well no need to strain. PH 3.4 on the finished sauce which is exactly what the PH of the finished ferment was. Invited over a buddy for taste testing prior to bottling the next day.View attachment 652797View attachment 652798This came out better than expected. My friend has tried all my batches and this is now his top favorite sauce. It’s slightly tangy sweet with mango followed by a pronounced fiery finish. What started as a whim will now be a permanent add to the rotation. May test on some wings soon. Thanks for looking!
This sauce looks killer! Well done!

I'm particularly intrigued by your use of keto-friendly sweeteners to add fruit flavors. I want to do that some time. One of the issues I've wondered about is continuing fermentation after bottling sauce. Many people cook their sauce to kill the lactobacilli and eliminate further fermentation after bottling. If you use keto-friendly sweeteners, you don't give the bacteria anything to eat, so the risk of additional fermentation is minimal. Did you add vinegar because you like the flavor or because of its preservative properties?

I'm particularly intrigued by your use of keto-friendly sweeteners to add fruit flavors. I want to do that some time. One of the issues I've wondered about is continuing fermentation after bottling sauce. Many people cook their sauce to kill the lactobacilli and eliminate further fermentation after bottling. If you use keto-friendly sweeteners, you don't give the bacteria anything to eat, so the risk of additional fermentation is minimal. Did you add vinegar because you like the flavor or because of its preservative properties?
I add vinegar in most cases for both flavor and PH control. You really don’t have to worry about continued fermentation if your PH is low enough.

As Jeff stated if the pH is low enough the bacterial fermentation basically stops.
If the pH is high enough bacteria will consume the keto sugars.
(I've started doing my homework for next fall.)

Reactions: PulledPorkSandwich
Jeff I have the bottles & labels. My PC only has Paint it doesn't do much, do you use a different program?
Thanks Richie

Without bothering to check. Concentrated flavors usually have Ethyl Alcohol sometimes to a flammability state. Are you trying to get your friends. And customers drunk?? J/K

• Haha
Jeff I have the bottles & labels. My PC only has Paint it doesn't do much, do you use a different program?
Thanks Richie
I am using a template in MS Word the label company provides. It’s just a blank with the label outlines. I cobble my labels together between some manipulating colors in paint and mostly through formatting in word. Pics I find randomly on the net. It’s a very messy process but I’m used to it lol. I am also looking for something better. If I find something I really like I’ll let you know. The labels I use are Nicebottles labels off Amazon.

Without bothering to check. Concentrated flavors usually have Ethyl Alcohol sometimes to a flammability state. Are you trying to get your friends. And customers drunk?? J/K
Haha most the beneficiaries of them would ask me to put more alcohol in!! So this particular flavor is in ethanol. Many of theirs though are in propylene glycol. Overall their selection and quality of flavors is astounding.

Reactions: Steve H
I am using a template in MS Word the label company provides. It’s just a blank with the label outlines. I cobble my labels together between some manipulating colors in paint and mostly through formatting in word. Pics I find randomly on the net. It’s a very messy process but I’m used to it lol. I am also looking for something better. If I find something I really like I’ll let you know. The labels I use are Nicebottles labels off Amazon.
Are you printing them on an inkjet or laser printer? If inkjet do you have smudging issues when the label gets wet?

If I get into this I would have too just throw the creation of the label to my graphics person. She would probably have to use a combo of Photoshop and in-design for this, (she "loves" when I throw vague design projects at her that will generate no money for the company)...lol

Jeff Thank you I have the same labels & bottles
Richie

That stuff sounds incredible Jeff. I bet it would also be really good on pork as well as on your wings. Beautiful stuff and as always, a great write-up.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky