Just want to say Thanks Again....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Somewhere there was a post where a guy had these squeaky clean racks in his smoker.
They looked brand new in a well educated MES, and I asked if they were new, or how'd he get them so shiny clean?
Well Saturday I was going to run my mats in the dishwasher to clean them. Since I was several marbles short of a full bag, I pulled the racks and put everything in for the load.
I must say, I was very impressed with how sparkly clean the racks, mats, reservoir, and even my little catch pan* came out of the dishwasher!
I don't know what they put in Cascade, but it knocks the snot out of Creosote build up. Almost every speck came off.

The only downside is a mild smoker smell inside the dishwasher now. So far the Admiral hasn't noticed it. Or if she did, my selective hearing did not register the complaint. :p

But whoever you was, running the racks, mats, and dilly wacks through the dishwasher sure cleaned them up.
Thank You Again for the idea! ;):D

20180507_101723.jpg

* - Catch pan is a little SS BBQ Sauce pan I put in the upper back corner to catch anything that drips from my stack. Condensation occasionally drips from the stack, and the little pan catches it.

SonnyE, glad they came out clean. I've never used the dishwasher for my BBQ tools, but if your dishwasher has a filter you may want to check it out. It may need cleaning. I wouldn't want my misses mad at me because I did something to her dishwasher. Also I don't want to be the guy who gets stuck hand washing the dishes. Speaking from a dad whose son will dirty every pot, pan, plate and piece of silverware just making a peanut butter sandwich(and he doesn't even live here anymore).

Chris

I doubt that Judy would let me put anything that has been in the smoker in the dishwasher.
I have my own pots & pans that are stored outside for smoking. She will wash them in the sink, but that is about it.
As far as the grates go I just hit them with the weed burner before I put any meat on them.
Al

Reactions: sdkid
SonnyE, glad they came out clean. I've never used the dishwasher for my BBQ tools, but if your dishwasher has a filter you may want to check it out. It may need cleaning. I wouldn't want my misses mad at me because I did something to her dishwasher. Also I don't want to be the guy who gets stuck hand washing the dishes. Speaking from a dad whose son will dirty every pot, pan, plate and piece of silverware just making a peanut butter sandwich(and he doesn't even live here anymore).

Chris

I doubt that Judy would let me put anything that has been in the smoker in the dishwasher.
I have my own pots & pans that are stored outside for smoking. She will wash them in the sink, but that is about it.
As far as the grates go I just hit them with the weed burner before I put any meat on them.
Al

Well, I'm sneaky. She was staying over babysitting the 3 youngest Grandkid's, And I figured why not.
Since I haven't faced reckoning yet, I still don't know why not. :confused:
I even tried out the Sanitize setting.

I did check the filter, Chris. No evidence left there Whew! :rolleyes:

I've been hand-washing my used racks and mats. (I try to remember to remove as many as I can. No use smoking empty racks.)

If I disappear, tell the cops to check the smoker and BBQ.... :eek:

Sonny, I've been washing all my smoker stuff in the dishwasher for years with no problems--and that includes from Miss Linda. When I say "all" that includes racks, frog mats, jerky screens, grease drip trays, and various pie plates I use for cold smoking butter and spices etc.
BUT.....I always scrub all the equipment in the sink with a dishpan brush and wipe out the grease pans BEFORE I load up the dishwasher. Heavy on the BEFORE!!!
Love the results.
Gary

Reactions: SonnyE
Sonny, I've been washing all my smoker stuff in the dishwasher for years with no problems--and that includes from Miss Linda. When I say "all" that includes racks, frog mats, jerky screens, grease drip trays, and various pie plates I use for cold smoking butter and spices etc.
BUT.....I always scrub all the equipment in the sink with a dishpan brush and wipe out the grease pans BEFORE I load up the dishwasher. Heavy on the BEFORE!!!
Love the results.
Gary

Thanks Gary. Yeah, I do scrub the stuff to get off what I can. I use one of those brush things, and a soapy scrubby sponge. But Betty soon tosses the sponge, especially if it is darkening. :rolleyes:
But I have been wanting to run them through the dishwasher.
I was pleasantly surprised with the results. ;)

Reactions: mike5051
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky