Just a Simple Rack of Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2018
DACULA GA
Hello all, been busy and haven't posted in a while. Did a simple rack of Spare Ribs. They came out very well. I've been doing a few things a little differently lately. Cooking at higher temps for less time. This happened accidentally one day when I was running late and had to have them done at a certain time. I find them more tender and moist this way.
So here we go, I only have the finished not cut and cut pictures. No pre cooked or prep pictures. Seasoned with Jeff's Original Rub. Been using it on anything Pork the last 1-2 years, we love it. Smoked with a combination of Hickory and Cherry. I had wanted to use Pecan instead of the Cherry, but we were out. Cherry gives a nice color, but Pecan is a nice change once in a while.
Here is the Rack, we cut them in half when we buy them to vac seal easier, and takes up less space in the freezer. Taken out of the MES with IT between 189-194 mostly.
IMG_2884.jpg
Here they are cut up looking very nice and juicy. Great taste and tenderness. The Mrs. approved, that's all I ask, lol. We don't use any sauce either, it's that good on it's own.
IMG_2885.jpg
Thanks for stopping by, stay safe.

Looks tasty. The family used to dip ribs in sauce. Lately they have been enjoying the flavor of the Rub and a coat or two of sauce that gets caramelized over high heat at the end...JJ

Reactions: MJB05615
Looks tasty. The family used to dip ribs in sauce. Lately they have been enjoying the flavor of the Rub and a coat or two of sauce that gets caramelized over high heat at the end...JJ
We used to do that too. Once in a while, I'll add a little Honey over the Ribs during the last hour or 2 of cooking for a little sweet.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Thanks Jim. And thanks for the like.

I'll take 2 ribs:emoji_grinning:!! They look great and it's been too long since I cooked any. Got to change that soon...

Thanks GS, they came out real nice. Get going on yours and post them. And thanks for the like.

Thanks Jim. They were good tasting too. Got some leftovers if you're gonna be in the area. And thanks for the like.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks great! They would not last on my plate for long. How long did you smoke at that temp? any wrapping or spritzing? Did you reverse sear or just straight off the smoker?

thx Cliff

Those ribs look fantastic!
I made the same mistake as you. Last weekend I fired up my Lang for some spares. It hadn’t been run in months & so I cleaned it out real well, then started a huge fire in the firebox to get everything sterilized & ready to use again. Well it was sitting at 400 degrees when I put the ribs on. I let the fire die down, but for the most part it was running at 350. The ribs only took about 3 hours to get to 200 IT, which is how my wife & Grandson like them. They said they were the best ribs I have ever made. Hot & fast ribs!
Who would have thought?
Al

Nice!
I've always smoked them at higher temps because I've never had a cooker that would do low temps.
They come out just fine and take less time.
Lately I've been cutting the rack in half leaving one dry and saucing the other.
Somehow they all get eaten....

Nice looking rack Mike, that cherry seems to give ribs a real nice color, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray. Cherry does give a nice color, I don't notice much flavor difference though. Next time I'm going all Pecan, I think that'll change it up. Thanks for the like my friend, very appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky