Jerky to break in new MES40 New Generation

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

garyinmd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2011
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Finally have time to post on the new MES40 trial run with Jerky.  Had an the meat in the fridge thawing out so started the MES to preheat, got the old slicer set up and sliced to ¼ strips.

Ended up with exactly 4 lbs. of meat, mixed up the marinade and into the new tumbler I got from Todd a few weeks ago.  The mix started out at exactly 3 cups, ran the tumbler for a total of 40 minutes and the meat soaked up 1 whole cup.

While in the tumbler I made sure the new MES was set up with multiple probes since I wanted to check the cabinet temps on the first run.  Here is the Jerky in the new smoker.  I decided to try to hang the Jerky this time which left plenty of room to set up the temp probes.  Here you can see the ET732 probe on the top shelf over by the vent on the left side.

Here you can see the ET732 probe on the bottom shelf and the one hanging in the back I put by the built in sensor of the MES.  The one just below the hanging meat is the built in MES meat probe.

Started out with the MES set at 100 deg for the 1[sup]st[/sup] hour then put in the AMNPS with  both outside rows lit, this gave around 3 ½ hours of smoke with Pitmasters dust.  Every hour I bumped up the temps 10 deg with the final with final setting at 150 deg.  After 6 hours I put the jerky in the dehydrator to finish up.  Below are a couple of pics of the finished Jerky.  I always wanted to weigh the before and after and remembered to do it this time,  Started out with 4 lbs meat before marinade and ended up with 1.6 pounds finished.

To make a long story short I ended up ordering a new MES40 from Sam's.  Did the seasoning last Friday then the Jerky on Saturday.  I have been using a older model MES30 for years and was hoping the new model would be more consistent in holding temps.  I kept a log in a spreadsheet as I have with most smokes and inserted it below.

I will let you draw your own conclusions from the sheet below but at lower temps like this I would have been baby sitting the old model the whole time.  This smoke because I wanted to see how the new MES worked I made the set-point changes then went back in the house and watched the remotes and recorded.  One thing I seen right away the probe on the top shelf was close to the vent which was always a problem spot on the older models, in this smoke the top probe is never the highest reading.

Thanks for checking it out, hope to smoke something this weekend at higher temps to see how it performs, will log on the same sheet and post.

Gary 

Looks great! You had a lot of shrinkage with your jerky - I just did 5 lbs (green weight) of goose jerky and after 8 hrs in the MES40, left in resealable plastic bag for 24 hrs to re-distribute moisture, then weighed. Finished weight was 2.65 lbs. 

I like the temp tracking too!

Thanks Roadkill, looking forward to the higher temp run also.  Biggest change I seen was the 1200watt element in the new unit definitely made a difference in how long it took to come to set point after the 10 deg changes, much faster than the MES30 and less of a temp overshoot.

SmokinHusker, the shrinkage was more than I thought it should be but I left out the part about having it in the dehydrator too long  
th_violent5.gif
.  When I took it out I then put it in the paper bags then into the fridge for a day which is when I remembered to weigh it.  Both items may have caused more loss, still tastes great though.

Gary

Looks good. I have the older model and with an empty or small load the temp swings got crazy in cooler weather. Sand in the pan and a little foil to deflect the hot spots helped with that issue..Glad to see the new model doing better with this.

Sound1, so far at the lower temp it seemed to do pretty good, I was happy for the 1st run.  I took ribs out of the freezer at lunch time so I can try it at higher temps this weekend, not sure which day yet.

RTBBQ2 thanks, it came out pretty good even though I dried it a bit more than I usually do.

Will post rib smoke with new unit Sunday, looks like that is the day.

Gary

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky