Jalapeno cheddar snack sausage - qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I made this sausage a few weeks ago, but with just cheddar. I wanted to do it again with diced jalapenos & cheddar.

Here's the recipe I used.

Al’s cheddar jalapeno snack sausage                                 

Total cook time: About 10-12 hours

3 lbs ground chuck

2 lbs ground pork butt

3 oz Sausage maker pepperoni seasoning

2.5 oz Fermento

2 oz soy protein

1 tbs crushed red pepper flakes

1 tbs cracked black pepper

1 tbs cayenne pepper

1 tsp cure #1

1-2 cups ice water

1/2 lb high temp cheddar cheese

1 1/2 cu jalapenos no seeds, finely diced (about 9 med)

Grind the meat with the coarse plate.

Pour water into dry mix, & mix well.

Mix well with meat & run it through the meat grinder with the small plate once to mix well. Then mix in cheese & jalapenos. Stuff in 38 mm collagen casings.  Leave in the fridge overnight.

Smoke for:

2 hours pre heat @120 f with no smoke  

2 hours @ 140 f with smoke

Then 175 f till IT is 155 with smoke

Remove from smoker & shower with cold water.

Then refrigerate with no cover for 3 days.

I didn't take any photo's of the grinding, mixing, & stuffing.

So here is the sausages just out of the stuffer.

Hang them in the smoker

All done, took about 10 hours to get to 155IT.

Into the fridge for a rest for a couple of days.

Sliced & ready to eat.

Even though the casings are edible, I peel them off.

Snack time, sausage, smoked meunster, & some crackers.

This is a sausage I will make again many times. It has great flavor, some heat & the jalapenos give it a little crunch.

Thanks for looking.

Al

Al great job on the sticks The plated shot looks great Points for making me hungry

Richie

Looks great, Al! Hadn't thought about using collagen that large. Hmmm...

What do the Fermento and the soy protein do for it?

Dan
points1.png

Tasty looking sticks Al!

POINTS!
Thanks Case!

Appreciate the point too!

Al

thanks for sharing Al- looks awesome!   Points!
Thanks for the point Ben!!

Al

Nice job, Al!

Points for making me up a plate!
Thanks DB!

When your down this way, I'll have some in the freezer, so stop by!

Al

Al great job on the sticks The plated shot looks great Points for making me hungry

Richie
Thanks a lot Richie!

Thanks for the point too!

Al

Dan
points1.png
Thanks Dan,

The fermento gives it a tangy flavor, much like dry curing would & the soy protein binds the fat & meat for better moisture retention, also helps with shrinkage.

Thanks for the points too.

Al

Looks great Al!!!  Being new to the sausage making I was wondering when you check the IT where about are you probing into the meat and does it damage the casing or doesn't it matter. 

Dang it Al that looks great!!! Nice job,,,BUT only one thing???? You didn't make enough. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I think you could have gotten more in that smoker 
ROTF.gif

A full smoker is a happy smoker - Stay happy Al 

DS

Looks great Al!!!  Being new to the sausage making I was wondering when you check the IT where about are you probing into the meat and does it damage the casing or doesn't it matter. 
Thank-you!

Yes, I put a therm in just one sausage down thru the top into the middle, and yes it puts a hole in it but it's OK. That's the first one I eat. 

Al

Dang it Al that looks great!!! Nice job,,,BUT only one thing???? You didn't make enough. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

I think you could have gotten more in that smoker 
ROTF.gif

A full smoker is a happy smoker - Stay happy Al 

DS

Hey DS,

Thanks Buddy!

I like to make sausage in 5# batches so I can experiment with different recipes.

For Judy & I, 5# lasts a while.

Al

Thank-you!

Yes, I put a therm in just one sausage down thru the top into the middle, and yes it puts a hole in it but it's OK. That's the first one I eat. 

Al

Hey DS,

Thanks Buddy!

I like to make sausage in 5# batches so I can experiment with different recipes.

For Judy & I, 5# lasts a while.

Al
Glad to see I'm not the only one in that boat, Al. Just the two of us can only eat so much sausage, no matter how much I enjoy making it! 3 & 5 lb batches are the norm.
Dan

Very nice Al. That sure looks tasty. I like the way the casing peeled off

Points!!!

Very nice Al. That sure looks tasty. I like the way the casing peeled off

Points!!!
Thanks Joe! Appreciate the point too!

I started using those casings a couple of years ago, because they peel off so easy & you can really stuff them tight.

I think you loose some of the smoke flavor by not eating the casing, but they are still very good.

Al

Awesome looking snacks Al!
Heading to the whitetail classic in DM for the day today, tomorrow will mixing up a batch of these tho.
POINTS!!

The fermento gives it a tangy flavor, much like dry curing would & the soy protein binds the fat & meat for better moisture retention, also helps with shrinkage.
Al, you jumped into territory I'd been contemplating, with the addition of Fermento other than in SS, which is the only place I've used it so far. Thumbs up, buddy! Looks like something I'll need to experiment with in the future. Considering using some ECA somewhere, too, to see how it works out. Dan, you should give the Fermento a shot sometime. It gives that sour tang like you get in a good summer sausage.

As for the sausage in question in this post, Al, again, righteous success, and bringing a little heat! Points!

Al, you jumped into territory I'd been contemplating, with the addition of Fermento other than in SS, which is the only place I've used it so far. Thumbs up, buddy! Looks like something I'll need to experiment with in the future. Considering using some ECA somewhere, too, to see how it works out. Dan, you should give the Fermento a shot sometime. It gives that sour tang like you get in a good summer sausage.

As for the sausage in question in this post, Al, again, righteous success, and bringing a little heat! Points!
Thanks Ragnar,

I appreciate the compliment & the point too!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky