Its tri tip Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Been craving some smoked meat lately and had a nice 2.5lb piece in the freezer. Took it out yesterday to defrost. Got up this morn and gave it a good rub with some coffee rub I made a week or so ago.
2 tablespoons coarse salt
2 tablespoons instant coffee
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon crushed coriander
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
20200830_102727.jpg

Let that sit in the fridge for a few hours, come about 300p, I fired up the MES to 225 and threw in some apple chips and into the smoker it went. I forget even at 225, to get the meat to 133-135 doesnt take long, took about an hour and 15 mins to get to 135 then onto the grill for a nice sear
20200830_164024.jpg

Gave a sear om each side and pulled it off the grill at or about 138, figured carryover would get me to 145ish.
20200830_172901.jpg

Wrapped it in foil for a good rest and at dinner time (6p) it had hit 144 and was starting cool back down and sliced it at probably 117. Ibhad a towel over the 2 layers of foil, should of left the towel on a lil longer for heat retention.
20200830_175310.jpg

Toasted up some Martins tater rolls, threw some pieces of bags of curly fries and tots in the oven, added some fresh sliced mozzerella and dinner was served.
20200830_180039.jpg

This was tender ans juicy, was able to cut the meat with my fork. It really diidnt need the cheese or roll, straight on a plate with a bit of juice from the rest is all it needed.

Looks taaaasssssttttttyyyyyy!!! I did one last weekend and it came out great, I pulled it from the smoker at 125, and hit it hard with 650f preheated grill, and it looked just like yours. Good job, and I bet you enjoyed every bite of delicious Tri Tip!

T-T are one of my favorite cuts, there are only two per steer, so they are prized in certain parts of the country. They sous vide well too. As many as I've cooked, I make a grain sketch each time so I don't mess up that first cut.

Thanks guys, the local Publix has just started carrying TT in probably the past couple months. Second one Ive gotten from them and think this one was even better than the 1st one. It really came out delicious.

Forgot to mention, I changed the cayenne to chipotle powder in the coffee rub.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky