Italy calls for help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stiggia

Original poster
Aug 25, 2018
Hi I'm Stefano from Italy. I love american bbq and i built a UDS myself because is hard to find a smoker in italy and it was kinda cheap for starting smoking.
I did lot of reading and research, and after some harsh time working on the gall i managed to make my UDS, i'm kinda proud of it.

I used to think it work quite good, but after some reading and trail i'm starting to think i have some problem build up the temperature.

I have 3 3/4 intakes (2 ball valves and a cap) and 8 1/2 exhaust on a flat lid (i made it with a road sign).

i keep reading of people have 250 F with 1 open 1 closed and a valve to regulate.
Mine stay on 225 F with all open or 2 open and a valve half closed....

Any clues on what is wrong?

Sorry if the english is a bit poor

I don't own 1 or been around 1 that was being used but the exhaust sounds a little large to me,somebody will be along today and help,this may help keep you up here til they see it ,your English is fine,my hillbilly version maybe not so good ;)

stiggia If you can post some pics it would help someone,show how your fire basket is made also.Sorry I can't help any more.
Richie

They all build them different. What I have doesn't even have a bottom in it and about a 4" hole in the lid. Not shore what you are asking like Richie says some photos would help.
Warren

here the pics

Attachments

• IMG_20180825_175151.jpg
    IMG_20180825_175151.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180825_175022.jpg
    IMG_20180825_175022.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180825_175103.jpg
    IMG_20180825_175103.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20180825_175109.jpg
    IMG_20180825_175109.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20180825_175033.jpg
    IMG_20180825_175033.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 63
Bien venuto Stefano. Mia moglie e da Verona. Tu da dove vieni il nome della tua citta? Mi dispiace che non potevo rispodere la tua questione.

I would check your thermometer/s I find that most are way off, when I had mine the temp from the top was way off from the cooking level of the smoker.

Bien venuto Stefano. Mia moglie e da Verona. Tu da dove vieni il nome della tua citta? Mi dispiace che non potevo rispodere la tua questione.
Vivo a Como
I would check your thermometer/s I find that most are way off, when I had mine the temp from the top was way off from the cooking level of the smoker.
termometer is fine i checked today just befor openin the post.

I'm not so sure that all the small holes in the lid was the way to go... Wonder if just one big hole with short stack on it would be better ?? Might have to go bigger on intake/s ??

Drill those existing holes out to 25mm.... those 1/2" holes have an effective area of about 1/4" due to the vena contracta effect...

Drill those existing holes out to 25mm.... those 1/2" holes have an effective area of about 1/4" due to the vena contracta effect...[/QUOTE
I'm gonna try and I'l let u know ad soon as i find some ribs for try.

what's the best ratio between intake and exhaust? i red something about.

I don't know the perfect ratio between intake and exhaust... I do know it changes as the temperature rises in the CC due to expansion of the air etc..
With the holes drilled out, run the smoker and get it in balance with the temp required.. Then plug 1 hole at a time and let it equilibrate... When the temp starts to drop, you'll know you've closed 1 too many holes... The exhaust reduction will have constricted the natural draft capability of the inlets..

With the holes drilled out, run the smoker and get it in balance with the temp required.. Then plug 1 hole at a time and let it equilibrate... When the temp starts to drop, you'll know you've closed 1 too many holes... The exhaust reduction will have constricted the natural draft capability of the inlets..

Is this just for answer my own question about ratio or i need to do this for use my drum?

I was trying to answer your question... If you feel the exhaust / intake ratio needs adjusting, that is one solution... As far as I know, there is no perfect ratio because of the change in smoker temperature as I have previously noted... Smoking is not an exact science....

Is this just for answer my own question about ratio or i need to do this for use my drum?
My old drum I used one hole on the bottom with a valve and three holes on the lid. Was it right, probably not according to the three thousand variations here. My answer is build it and burn some pig and learn that smoker.

I drilled the holes to 24mm, because the power drill make is 24 or 26, and tomorrow I'll test it.
Another question that bother me, should i use new briquettes every cook or can i leave leftovers in the basket, dump some ashes and add some?

I use old briquettes... Put new in the bottom, light, add the old to the top so they don't fall through the grate... Remove all the ash...

Smoker is running very stady from some hours now.
It set to 250F with 1 valve open one closed and 1 half closed.
Smoke come out much more haze like then like a stream.
Seams it did the trick.

thank u guys!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky