Is my LEM a LEMON???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I hope I'm not looking at replacing the gears any time soon.  Hadn't even had its maiden voyage yet

Gary

Well I can't confirm this, wasn't able to call Kitcheners customer service line to verify, but just in case, you better add some more water to your meat mixture...

Hey Dirt Just got my new LEM stuffer today   Here is a picture
Congrats on the new stuffer Gary............
sausage.gif

Ended up with a pretty good deal, Northern Tool had it for $99.00  used a $20.00 off code and had it shipped   to the store for free

gary
Nice score

Looks just like my LEM, minus the key features I researched 3 years. Metal gears, stainless tubes and,
Crappy machining! Don't worry all you need to do is add more water!
So the metal gears from lem should work with the kitchner?
Bearcarver said his buddy fit the lem metal gears to the kitchener stuffer and it worked. I bought a NT stuffer a long time ago before kitchener was being sold by NT and the metal gears did not fit the NT stuffer. I gave the  stuffer to Kieth (JckDanls 07) and went with the gander mountain 15 lb stuffer. I used the search tool and I cant find Bears post
wife.gif
. Hopefully Bear will chime in. Here was my experience  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145655/5-lb-stuffer-gear-upgrade-not-going-well   

Looks just like my LEM, minus the key features I researched 3 years. Metal gears, stainless tubes and,
Crappy machining! Don't worry all you need to do is add more water!
So the metal gears from lem should work with the kitchner?
Some say they do.. others say they don't ... (holds head between hands)... "I'm soooo confused"
read above

I hope I'm not looking at replacing the gears any time soon.  Hadn't even had its maiden voyage yet

Gary
You shouldnt worry about purchasing metal gears yet. The plaskit gears work great under normal stuffing conditions. They will fail if you go to a smaller diameter tube to stuff sticks but it will take a while. I ran a bunch through my Nt stuffer before they went. Kieth bought some new plaskit gears for it and its still going......

Gary
I believe what you mostly have to do to prolong the life of the plastic gears is------Once the plunger bottoms out---STOP !!!!!------Don't continue to apply pressure!!!

Bear

Congrats on the new stuffer Gary............
sausage.gif

Nice score

Bearcarver said his buddy fit the lem metal gears to the kitchener stuffer and it worked. I bought a NT stuffer a long time ago before kitchener was being sold by NT and the metal gears did not fit the NT stuffer. I gave the  stuffer to Kieth (JckDanls 07) and went with the gander mountain 15 lb stuffer. I used the search tool and I cant find Bears post
wife.gif
. Hopefully Bear will chime in. Here was my experience  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145655/5-lb-stuffer-gear-upgrade-not-going-well   

read above

You shouldnt worry about purchasing metal gears yet. The plaskit gears work great under normal stuffing conditions. They will fail if you go to a smaller diameter tube to stuff sticks but it will take a while. I ran a bunch through my Nt stuffer before they went. Kieth bought some new plaskit gears for it and its still going......
Yes the guy who told me the metal gears fit in the Kitchener Stuffer even told me when I asked him he'd get back to me. He had the gears, but hadn't tried to change them yet. Then later that night he got back to me and said, "Yes, they fit---No problem at all". 

Bear

I believe what you mostly have to do to prolong the life of the plastic gears is------Once the plunger bottoms out---STOP !!!!!------Don't continue to apply pressure!!!

Bear

Yes the guy who told me the metal gears fit in the Kitchener Stuffer even told me when I asked him he'd get back to me. He had the gears, but hadn't tried to change them yet. Then later that night he got back to me and said, "Yes, they fit---No problem at all". 

Bear
Thanks for the tips guys, I won't be a heavy duty user and I'll pay attention when I am close to the bottom.  

Gary

I bought a LEMon a couple of years ago after reading good reviews on here.  I went through the SAME condescending customer service problems.  I got fed up much quicker than you and just returned mine for a refund.  Took a couple of weeks after they had received it and me calling with tracking number to prove they had it before they ever refunded my money.

They should change their name from LEMon to POS stuffers!

I bought a 15lb Kitchener from Northern Tool.  Great quality, steel gears and cost less than the LEMon.  I would NEVER buy anything from LEM ever again!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200425065_200425065 

I would strongly suggest to admin that this thread should be made a sticky or flagged for the main page of the forum so that anyone coming here would see NOT to buy a LEMon.  They don't deserve any of our business.

I also bought the $99 on sale meat grinder from Northern and have run a lot of meat through it with no problems.  It's not a commercial grade by any means but it works fine for my home use right now.

I hope yours is now fixed and you don't have any more problems.

Simple solution for those with the nylon gears is to mark you screw threads with a sharpie.  Mark it with the plunger at the base of the meat chamber, that way you know when you are approaching the bottom and can back off on the cranking pressure and not break the gears.  This is especially important if you are stuffing small diameter casings like the 17mm snack stick casings.  Those add extra pressure on the gears even when you are nowhere near the bottom (you are forcing the meat into a small hole).

I bought a LEMon a couple of years ago after reading good reviews on here.  I went through the SAME condescending customer service problems.  I got fed up much quicker than you and just returned mine for a refund.  Took a couple of weeks after they had received it and me calling with tracking number to prove they had it before they ever refunded my money.

They should change their name from LEMon to POS stuffers!

I bought a 15lb Kitchener from Northern Tool.  Great quality, steel gears and cost less than the LEMon.  I would NEVER buy anything from LEM ever again!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200425065_200425065 

I would strongly suggest to admin that this thread should be made a sticky or flagged for the main page of the forum so that anyone coming here would see NOT to buy a LEMon.  They don't deserve any of our business.

I also bought the $99 on sale meat grinder from Northern and have run a lot of meat through it with no problems.  It's not a commercial grade by any means but it works fine for my home use right now.

I hope yours is now fixed and you don't have any more problems.

The 5lb kitchener works well too. I've had mine for round a year...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319

Case, I used to buy some seasoning here & there from LEM.... No more ! Won't buy somethin from a company that won't stand by their product ! BTW, their seasonings weren't all that great anyway ! :biggrin:

Last edited:
The 5lb kitchener works well too. I've had mine for round a year...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200449319_200449319

Case, I used to buy some seasoning here & there from LEM.... No more ! Won't buy somethin from a company that won't stand by their product ! BTW, their seasonings weren't all that great anyway !
biggrin.gif
Yeah I was never a fan of their Seasonings.

I'll be making another batch of sausage this evening and will report on the performance of the stuffer. Getting my water hose prepared as we speak.

Yeah I was never a fan of their Seasonings.

I'll be making another batch of sausage this evening and will report on the performance of the stuffer. Getting my water hose prepared as we speak.
Is your water hose big enough in diameter to put enough water in to protect the stuffer??

Bear

Last edited:
Just got my Kitchener stuffer and grinder from Northern Tool, Both were $99.00 plus i used the $20 off code for both

Gary

just ordered a LEM from amazon.... price was right but i'll be on the lookout for the issues you had on yours. *crossing fingers I don't have to go through the same BS you did*

if there was a northern tool near me, i probably would have gone that route, but since there isn't, I would have to pay shipping, which doesn't kill the deal but doesn't make it quite as good.

Last edited:
just ordered a LEM from amazon.... price was right but i'll be on the lookout for the issues you had on yours. *crossing fingers I don't have to go through the same BS you did*

Good luck! I'd really inspect the $h1t out of it when you get it. Lube the plunger and gears and run the thing dry several times and inspect the washer for shavings. If it's making shavings dry then I'd return it.

b0bdc34edc4a19ccd0eb75c635bc0caf.jpg

72ad825883fefc812faad68f50124350.jpg

Ran three pounds through the Stuffer I REBUILT. NO more shavings. Didn't add anymore water or liquid than I normally would. Just replaced the crappy parts that originally came with the new stuffer.

If you buy a LEM product be prepared to repair it yourself even if it is brand new and under warranty.

Smoke away!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky