Is my Jerky toxic due to too much cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Justin018

Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
I used about 1.5 pounds of meat
0.4 TSP of cure #1
approx 1.5 cups of liquid

I have smoked it for around 2.5-3 hours

This is my first time using curing salt so Im just being a bit over paranoid as I dont want to poison myself.

Any advise if this sounds safe or not would help

Thanks

Check out this scale.. It's great for spices and cure... You will know your food is safe.....

Last edited:
I used about 1.5 pounds of meat
0.4 TSP of cure #1
approx 1.5 cups of liquid

I have smoked it for around 2.5-3 hours

This is my first time using curing salt so Im just being a bit over paranoid as I dont want to poison myself.

Any advise if this sounds safe or not would help

Thanks
Normally used at 1/4tsp per lb of meat, you should be fine with the amount you used. Nitrate poisoning occurs when a large amount of cure is added for a small batch of meat.

Thanks everyone, (Any yes I probably should have asked prior to the process not after). I will get myself a scale for the next batch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky