• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Is my Jerky toxic due to too much cure?

Justin018

Joined Jan 2, 2018
I used about 1.5 pounds of meat
0.4 TSP of cure #1
approx 1.5 cups of liquid

I have smoked it for around 2.5-3 hours

This is my first time using curing salt so Im just being a bit over paranoid as I dont want to poison myself.

Any advise if this sounds safe or not would help

Thanks

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That is a little too much, but no where near toxic.
Get a scale that will read in grams & use this calculator for a more precise measurement.
http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
Al

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Check out this scale.. It's great for spices and cure... You will know your food is safe.....
amazon" style="max-width:120px">

Last edited:

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Good job asking for help but a little late you should have asked before making the jerky just my $.02

Warren

SFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I used about 1.5 pounds of meat
0.4 TSP of cure #1
approx 1.5 cups of liquid

I have smoked it for around 2.5-3 hours

This is my first time using curing salt so Im just being a bit over paranoid as I dont want to poison myself.

Any advise if this sounds safe or not would help

Thanks
Normally used at 1/4tsp per lb of meat, you should be fine with the amount you used. Nitrate poisoning occurs when a large amount of cure is added for a small batch of meat.

Justin018

Joined Jan 2, 2018
Thanks everyone, (Any yes I probably should have asked prior to the process not after). I will get myself a scale for the next batch.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.