Is it true that brines really just don't work?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

achilles007

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
Sorry if this has been posted before. But this certainly is interesting:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/zen_of_brines.html

According to this article-- even after sitting for 24 hours a brine doesn't even make an inch into the meat!

I am interested in the experience of the people here whom have either dry-brined or wet-brined and could tell me if either method was nearly completely negligent in the resulting final taste of the meat.

Another interesting thing to note in the article is how well the use of a Jaccard along with a vac tumbler got high amount of marinade penetration.

If it's true that brines stop penetrating after 24 hours-- I might as well just save up the money and go for a commercial vac tumbler.

achilles, morning and welcome to the forum....  The statement you cite is true... to a point....  

Brines  do penetrate fully through the meat.....   Curing meat with nitrite is proof in the color of the meat...  albeit it takes many days for complete penetration....   I think the author is speaking of 4 hour to 24 hour penetration...  

As a general rule, penetration is approximately 1/4" per day...  equilibrium is the term that applies here...  Pouring a teaspoon of salt into a quart of water, the salt will take many days to become dissolved and equally distributed in the container...  shaking the container would be similar to using a vacuum tumbler although the two methods aren't comparable, just an example....  Once the meat has been removed from the brine, the middle has less of the ingredients than the outer surface... makes sense to me... then the meat should sit for a few more days to equally distribute the marinade throughout the meat....  makes sense to me too....  

So, in conclusion.... brine for several days under refrigeration to get a complete penetration/migration of what is in the brine/marinade....   then let it sit for a few more.... 

Dave

I don't think the basic idea of brining is about complete penetration/saturation. I'm pretty sure it's more about the effect the salt solution has on the proteins of the meat at the surface, allowing the pickup of SOME of the brine, but then more importantly, preventing the loss of the meat's own moisture during the cooking process. The additional moisture is really negligible. It's the same reason a dry brine works.

I'm referring here to a basic brine of less than 24 hours. A curing brine is a completely different animal, as Dave pointed out.

And to answer your question, I disagree. Brines really do work.

Last edited:
I can only comment on my experience.

I use brines only prior to smoking poultry, and can tell you for certain that after smoking my chicken or turkey, I can taste the brine in the meat.  So, it works for me.

Try it for yourself.  Ofcourse, there is something to be said for the vacuum tumblers, if you have the money.

I'm saving up for another smoker and a meat slicer.

Bill

I like science as much as the next guy , but I'm not interested in arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. I have had brined meats and unbrined meats and my gut tells me the brined meats are more moist and taste better. If I can brine a pork chop for 4 hours and have my guests rave about how moist and delicious it is , I will continue to take the time and trouble to do it.

:grilling_smilie:

Thank you so much, everyone! My question(s) have been answered!

Maybe just me but I didn't read anything in that article suggesting that brines don't work. I can also say that my poultry is ALWAYS better after a brine. I am going to try brining without the herbs (celery seed is expensive) since the author mentions this is pointless, but like hambone says, it works for me so I'm gonna keep doin it! :yahoo:

Last edited:
I have said this before... I have relatives from NJ visit every 3 months. When I ask what they would like me to cook, Steak, Seafood...The response most frequently given is Roast Chicken! I try Brine my Birds at least 24 hours and if >8lbs, longer. Occasionally the timing does not come together and I have to cook a bird without brining first. There is a huge difference! So yes Brining works...JJ

Meathead is just doing what he likes to do, stir up a little controversy and get some attention for himself, IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm all about the brine. It may only penetrate a small amount but the flavor enhancement is quite noticeable. Give it a shot....you will not be sorry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky