Is it safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Florida Chris

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Marathon Man. If you know, you know...
So a few weeks back I made some Canadian Bacon. I'm confident in the cure (thanks to diggingdogfarm calculator), smoked to 145-150, rest in the fridge for 2 days, then vac sealed and into the deep freeze at -10F.
Last Saturday (8 days ago) I took a package out and did a quick thaw in water. Life got in the way and I had to throw it in the fridge when it was thawed. Forgot about it and fast forward to today when I found it again.
Do you think it's still good? Obviously a smell test will be conducted. Normally I would chuck raw meat (even vac sealed by me) after about 4-5 days in the fridge. But this is cured and smoked. I found 1 site that says 6-12 WEEKS for smoked meat!! Not sure I would be comfortable with that even if I pasteurized it sous vide!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edit to add: This is sliced prior to vac sealing, not whole muscle. And it won't be cooked further. The intent was to meal-prep some CB, egg, and cheese breakfast sammies that would get frozen again.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky