Is Big Brother Watching Or What?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I have noticed that many of the newer members (and a few veteran members) here on the site choose to not list anything about themselves on their profile page. Is this because they don't want to reveal any personal details or that they simply haven't taken the time to fill out the profile page? If it is the latter that is true, I'd like to encourage folks to share a few details about themselves. Sometimes it's nice to know a little about a person when you are engaging in a conversation or a dialog in a post.

Perhaps it's just the teacher in me,

John

I agree, at the very least let us know where you are located. It will help in answering any questions.
I'm not talking about your address, just what part of the country do you live in.
Al

Yup, I pretty much gave up begging for minimal details.
For many years we "Veterans" have been trying to get everybody to include where they're from in their profile, so we will know things like altitude, weather, humidity, and possible access to various things, before we waste time & energy trying to help someone.

Example: If someone lives at 6,000' elevation, why should we spend a lot of time explaining things about an AMNPS, when the right one for High Altitude smoking would be the AMNTS.

I can understand people not wanting to give their address, or maybe even not wanting to give the actual town they live in, but something like SouthEast PA or East Texas would be a Big Help.

And I could see a lot of Ladies not wanting to give their age, but c'mon guys, what does it hurt?!?!

Bear

I all ways on the 5 forums I am on list where I live. I keep thinking and hoping that some one close to me will be able to help me out and show me a thing or to. Before I do some thing wrong and buy the wrong smoker for what I want to do so I read lots and trying to remember some of it..

As headlines from the last week show, anything you post online can, and will, be used by someone. I quit Facebook years ago when I realized what was going on there.

I have a technical background and spent my career in the computer business. From that experience I can tell you for a fact that it is incredibly easy to get hold of anything and everything a person has posted, including profile information. And, even if the site does its best to protect that information, you have to assume that it will still get out. Don't think so? Just look at the hacks at Experian, Equifax, eBay, Target, and the granddaddy of them all, Yahoo (3 billion users compromised).

Those were hacks done by getting behind the firewall, but information in forums like these doesn't require such nefarious methods: if I can see the information, and if you can see the information, then anyone can see it, harvest it, and use it.

I know the people who run this site would like to encourage people to post more information for the reasons already given in the posts above. I have no argument with any of those points, and all of them are correct.

However, there is a risk involved, and that risk is quite real. Even things as simple as posting your birthday makes it much easier to track you.

Reactions: SherryT and zippy12
I all ways on the 5 forums I am on list where I live. I keep thinking and hoping that some one close to me will be able to help me out and show me a thing or to. Before I do some thing wrong and buy the wrong smoker for what I want to do so I read lots and trying to remember some of it..

Hank,

You are in the right place. There are a load of knowledgeable folks here who are always eager to help anyone out.

Welcome and don't be afraid to ask questions,

John

I quit Facebook years ago when I realized what was going on there.

However, there is a risk involved, and that risk is quite real. Even things as simple as posting your birthday makes it much easier to track you.

John,

I also quit Facebook because I felt it was just stupid! I think I only lasted about 15 minutes before I quit.

However, I don't think we need to be so paranoid regarding where we live and our interests. No one here is asking for our Social Security numbers. Besides, if anyone is that paranoid, do what I did. Buy a subscription in LifeLock. . . . A lot cheaper than having a heart attack from worrying all the time.

John

Last edited:
John,

I don't think we need to be so paranoid regarding where we live and our interests. No one here is asking for our Social Security numbers. Besides, if anyone is that paranoid do what I did. Buy a subscription in LifeLock. . . . A lot cheaper than having a heart attack worrying all the time.

John

Exactly!! You got it, John!
So they know how Old I am & they know I live near Macungie, PA.
So what are they going to do about it???
Come here & steal all my Prime Ribs from my Freezer?
I got no Financial Info on here, nor has anyone asked for any.

Bear

John, How much money you got tied up in those prime ribs anyway ???

LOL---Right now I only have 3 in the freezer, about 5 or 6 pounds each, so probably less than $100.
Might make one for Easter. Not sure yet.
I'm watching for Choice---Under $6 though, and I'll get 2 or 3 more.

Bear

Well, you probably aren't talking to me. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/members/sonnye.203067/
I always put in some Well Howdy in my profiles.
I've been on the Internet since before Al Gore claimed he invented it. (Yeah, that long...)
If you are online, you are exposed. And if you have a cell phone, they know where you are.
I have much better things to think about than being paranoid about being online.
Maybe it's more being lazy about the details?
Everything is traceable and tractable. All it takes is a high enough security clearance and you can get anything on anybody.

Just because you know I am in NE Oklahoma East of Tulsa and I just finished smoking a couple slabs of ribs don't presume I am going to share all of them with you, ya know?

I have not been here for a while, good to see the great posts from everyone.

Reactions: Jmt
As stated earlier to many new comers do not have there location,hard to give good info to them.
Richie

I'm not to awfully worried. Allot if people I've met that live in central part of the U.S to the West coast didn't realize VT was even part of the United States. Most thought we we're part of Canada.

Chris

Reactions: BandCollector
I'm not to awfully worried. Allot if people I've met that live in central part of the U.S to the West coast didn't realize VT was even part of the United States. Most thought we we're part of Canada.

Chris

Ho-Ho---I know where Vermont is!!:)
And a Beautiful place it is!!
It's also the place my Maple Syrup comes from!! :D

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky