Irish Bacon-Pictures and Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shannon127

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 8, 2012
Harrisburg PA
Hello All,

I finished up a batch of Irish Bacon last week, but did not get time to post the results.  I wish I had taken pictures along the way, but here is the recipe and some pictures of the finished product

Irish Bacon (Rashers)
MeatsGr/KgActualRatio
Pork Loin100021452.145
Salt2451.52.145
Sugar1021.52.145
Cure 12.1254.62.145
Coarse Pepper12.12.145
Cut about 2 kg from the wide end of a boneless pork loin.  This end will have the best fat cap.  It should contain a good part of the strap, which is what gives its characteristic shape.  Mix dry ingredients thoroughly then completely coat all surfaces of the pork loin.  Place in a Ziplock or other gallon size bag with any remaining seasoning.  Remove as much air as possible.  Turn daily for 2 weeks. 

You will notice a lot of moisture in the bag the first couple of days.  Do not pour this out as you would with a lot of other dry cures.  This liquid will be mostly reabsorbed by the end of the 2nd week.  After 2 weeks remove from the bag and rinse thoroughly.  Hang is a cool place overnight to dry.  Cold smoke for 6 hours every other day for 5 days (3 smokings).  Hang to dry to a moisture content of 85-87%. 

Fry and enjoy

Thanks Martin. 

My wife likes it so much I have to make one every week.  The other end I make into Krakowska.....posts soon to follow.

I can vouch for how Outstandingly Great this is as Shannon has shared some with me before. 
yahoo.gif

@Shannon...Is this something that can be aged in my beer refer, rarely opened this time of year Beer is Outside? Is there any thing that can easily be done to maintain 85% RH?...JJ

Last edited:
I can vouch for how Outstandingly Great this is as Shannon has shared some with me before. 
yahoo.gif

@Shannon...Is this something that can be aged in my beer refer, rarely opened this time of year Beer is Outside? Is there any thing that can easily be done to maintain 85% RH?...JJ
Thanks Jimmy for the kind words.  When it is cold like this and not windy, I will just hang it outside.  Since it only needs to dry to 85-87%, there is not too much worry about it hardening.  Mine usually hangs for a week and it is ready.  The beer frig would work too if it doesn't run very often

Kinda like Canadian Bacon but dry cured and dry smoked ?
Same cut of meat, but you leave the strap on.  Also a slightly different spice pallet and this is cold smoked so it still needs to be fried.
Thanks Shoneyboy
icon14.gif

Thanks for sharing this recipe! We love rashers! Will give this a try for sure.
I love rashers too!  I was kinda hoping for Black Pudding to win my poll in the thread below, but it looks like I will be making Kiszka.   No full breakfast this weekend.
icon_cry.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...menu-for-this-weekend-with-poll-so-you-decide
I missed this somehow. It is on my list of things to make - especially since I've seen it now. Looks really good! 
2thumbs.gif
Thanks Jeremy
icon14.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky