IOU Butt For A Buddy...With Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotarace

Limited Mod
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
northern wisconsin
I went to a golf tournament with a good friend of mine and on a proxy hole he sunk a long putt to win a prize. At the awards ceremony the prize for the hole was a case of New York strip steaks...seeing his girlfriend is a vegetarian {sure is tough even typing the word} he gave me half of his case of steaks...Bonus!!!
drool.gif
 Knowing how much he enjoys Pulled Pork I thought the one way to repay the steak gift was smoking him up a butt.

I headed to the butcher shop and came home with a 8.7 lb. victim...trimmed off the fat cap...then rubbed the butt with 2 different rubs. Lately i have been doing this, rubbing one half of the butt with one rub then the other half with another. I didn't think this would make much difference but you can really taste the difference in the two types of bark. 

Here is the butt rubbed and ready for a overnight nap.

After the overnight rest i preheated my MES to 235 and the butt headed to the smoker for it's 13 hour ride. I used hickory dust in my AMAZEN Pellet smoke generator and it took two loads of dust to reach 167 when i foiled it.  I expected this butt to take longer but there was no stall involved here it just coasted right along. I don't know for sure if it makes a difference in cook time.... but since i have been buying fresh...never frozen...non enhanced butts from my local butcher... i have experienced shorter stalls and quicker cook times. 

At the 3 hour mark i headed to the smoker to probe my butt and here is the roast at probing...

It is already taking on nice color and was at 131 degrees after the 3 hour mark. Things continued to sail along with the butt and at 167* i went to the smoker and removed the butt and foiled it. Here is the butt then...

I put the butt in a foil pan and added 4 oz. of apple juice...covered with foil  then sent it back to the smoker until it reached 205 IT. Once reaching 205 I opened the pan after a 45 minute rest and snapped a quick picture....

Note the bone is falling away from the butt...this should be easy pulling!!! The butt was removed from the foil pan to my favorite pulling platter...and let the pulling begin

Note how clean the bone came out of the butt...At this time i poured the juices from my foil pan into a large measuring cup and put it in the freezer to separate the fat from the juices so after the pull they could be added back to my pulled pork. This butt pulled real easy and made quite a pile of pork...

Gotta throw in a closeup for those who love shots of meat!!!

I put the pork in a large bowl...layering the meat ...a few ounces of juice...layer...juice...until done...cover and let it sit in fridge overnight. In the morning i vacuum packed the pork in 1 pound packs and ended up with just over 5 pounds of pork. I can't wait to see my buddies face when i give him the pulled pork...I'm going to throw in 2 pounds of my homemade belly bacon also!!! Every good deed deserves one in return!!!

Thanks for reading my Q-View and i hope you enjoyed it...Len

Last edited:
Man sounds like a good deal to me steaks for some pulled pork thats a winner for both sides, the pork looks delicious....................you could always send a bag this way
icon_lol.gif

You may not remember me, but this time in band camp I got this girl to show you how she ............... Well something like that would be a great pay back!!!!:biggrin:

Looks great. Sounds like you both made out.....

Nice job and I'm sure your Bud will appreciate the Thought and Effort...JJ

You may not remember me, but this time in band camp I got this girl to show you how she ............... Well something like that would be a great pay back!!!!
biggrin.gif

Looks great. Sounds like you both made out.....
Wow I remember Her quite well JarJar...but for the life of me i can't remember who hooked me up....
ROTF.gif
 Thanks for props..
icon14.gif

Man sounds like a good deal to me steaks for some pulled pork thats a winner for both sides, the pork looks delicious....................you could always send a bag this way
icon_lol.gif
Thanks Shorty...even a blind Squirrel gets a nut once in a while..
beercheer.gif

Good deal and good looking PP.
Thank You Bass...was a awesome swap...
sausage.gif

Looks like you nailed it - awesome gift for your friend 

I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated and enjoyed by your friend! Looks great too!
Thank you Smokin...He s a great guy and we always have a good time...
beercheer.gif

Nice job and I'm sure your Bud will appreciate the Thought and Effort...JJ
Thanks Jimmy...it gave me a reason to fire up the smoker on a rainy Saturday...makes me feel like i'm doing something even though i'm just watching college football...
ROTF.gif

Now that is a goos deal on both ends!  Nice looking pulled pork.

Mike
Thanks So Ms....Those steaks were awesome...if he knew how good they were i might not of made out so well...
icon14.gif
drool.gif

What a great friend you are!!!  Nice looking pulled pork!!!

yahoo.gif
Thank you Frosty...I guys has to take care of his buds!!!
thumb1.gif

That looks delicious!!

Where's the steak pics???

Craig

That bark looks amazing!
Thanks for the kind words Reb...A little sugar in the rub really helps firm and darken the bark up.
Really nice bark on that butt!  Great job...

drool.gif

In the words of Jim Carrey in the movie "The Mask"....  SMOKIN!!!!

Bill
Thank you Bill...Love the Mask quote...Jim Carrey can put a smile on my face in all most every movie he stars in..
biggrin.gif

That looks delicious!!

Where's the steak pics???

Craig
Thank you Craig....keep a eye on the beef section of the forum...a smoked reverse seared New York strip steak thread should show up sooner or later..
beercheer.gif

Looks awesome.  Good Lookin' out for your buddy.
Thanks Big Ed...He was just a grinning when i dropped of the pulled pork and bacon. 
thumb1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky