Inspired By Chilerelleno: Bistec A La Mexicana (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Since finding this forum I've been reading the posts by chilerelleno chilerelleno with envy. They would make me drool and cry at the same time. Drool because they look amazing and cry because I just suck at making Mexican food. That's a shame too because both Tracy and I absolutely love Mexican. It's one of our favorites but it's without doubt my worst style to create meals or cook. Well, I was asked by Tracy the other day to make something Mexican with some of the tenderloin tips and I was crushed. The last thing I want to do is make another dismal failure for the person I want most to please and make happy. Decided to spend some time doing a crash course on Mexican food, spices, and flavor combinations. This started by spending several hours poring over John's recipe index he has posted. I was looking for flavor and spice combinations, trends, and common denominators. Next was to crunch the 'net looking for what to make with the beef tips. Decided on the Bistec A La Mexicana but with my own from-the-ground-up recipe. I shut down everything Internet related, opened a blank Word document, and started putting things on paper. It was tweaked a couple times but reached a point that I was comfortable giving it a run. Fingers crossed, said a little prayer, and here's what I came up with:

Tenderloin tips
005.jpg

Tips in a plastic bowl tossed with flour and first round of spices
013.jpg

Doing this in a cast iron skillet. Tips browned, add jalapenos, green onions, beef stock, and rest of spices
014.jpg

Gravy starting to thicken nicely. This is looking and smelling great!!
015.jpg

Whipped up some homemade guac
016.jpg

Made a guacamole salad on a bed of Romaine lettuce and some green onions. This was actually very good!!
017.jpg

Bistec all done.
018.jpg

Money shot...I hope. Dinner plated with Mexican rice, re-fried beans, warm torts, and the salad on the side. Still got my fingers crossed.
019.jpg

Took the first bite and asked myself where has this been my whole life?? It was absolutely delicious and vastly exceeded every expectation I had going in. This was yet another time that Tracy looked at me, rolled her eyes into the back of her head, smiled, and and said "this is awesome". The meat was tender, succulent, and unbelievably flavorful from the spices in the gravy. Gravy was perfect consistency, deep and rich in flavor, very complex, and had a really nice little spice tingle. Being that this was my very first time creating a Mexican meal and I hit it out of the park (at least as far as my expectations go) I couldn't have been happier. Chile has been a huge inspiration and now that I've finally taken the plunge, this could be a life changer for us. In retrospect I will share where my previous failures stem from. First is not taking the time to start the learning process on how to blend the correct flavors. From there I could have expanded based on what I learn from each cook. Second was not ever having the correct spices on hand. After putting together the recipe, I ordered from Amazon a 3-pack of spices that included Guajillo, Ancho, and Arbol. As soon as they were delivered yesterday I did the fingertip taste test on each and knew immediately that these were what I've been missing all along. Well, here's the recipe exactly as I made it:

1 lb. beef tenderloin tips
2 T olive oil
1 T all-purpose flour
4 cloves garlic
1 ½ t beef bouillon
2 t guajillo pepper
1 t arbol pepper
1 t ground black pepper
½ lime juiced
2 jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped
3 green onions chopped
½ cup beef broth
½ t salt
¼ cup chopped cilantro

-Coat beef with flour, guajillo pepper, arbol pepper, black pepper, and salt. Cook in large pan with olive oil and garlic until meat is browned.

-Add beef broth, lime juice, beef bouillon, jalapenos, and green onions.

-Simmer until sauce thickens and beef is tender. Serve with rice and beans or on tortillas and garnish with cilantro.

The only thing I plan to change is to nix the salt. I guess the beef bouillon and possibly the beef broth have some salt in them and it was just a bit too salty for my tastes. Tracy didn't pick up on it but she'll never know if I leave it out next time. John....you're the expert on Mexican food. If you see anything here that doesn't look Mexican or a revision you feel would be beneficial, please let me know. From my perspective though it hit every note of authentic Mexican food that I've been looking for and missing by a country mile. Now...as good as the stuff was, we aren't through yet. It was so good I decided to make an omelette for breakfast this morning with the leftovers. Weird but really good!!

002.jpg

It appears that some doors are opening to expand my cooking horizons. This has helped develop a bit of a comfort level that I can actually do it. Not sure what's next and have not even started thinking about it but I'm sure something will inspire me real soon.

Basking in my 15 minutes of fame,
Robert

Roberto,
let me just say, that is a really nice Carne de Guisado!
Like!

It looks delicious, as Chef Gusteau said, "Anyone can cook Mexican!"

Your recipe looks good to go.
It's the way I'd do it when using chile powders vs fresh/dried chiles.
Fresh/dried I would add pureed Chiles to gravy.

So glad you gave it a go, and with such wonderful success.
There really is nothing hard about good Mexican cooking, it's all in the chemistry of the flavors.
You did exactly what I do for a lot of unfamiliar cuisine.
Look through several recipes to see how they're put together and then go from there.

Reactions: JC in GB
If you're buying chile powders at Amazon, I highly recommend the El Molcajete brand over many others.
I've been very happy with it.

And suggest I suggest staying away from the Ole Mission brand, unless you've a spice grinder as it is not ground fine enough.

Do note that for very smooth chile sauces whether using powder fine as talc or puree, you'll want to sieve any solids out of your puree/sauces.

So plan on making double what you think you might need.
And if you've extra, just freeze it and you're ready for another meal.
Cube whatever meat, grill it, add sauce and instant Chile Rojo/Verde.

Last edited:
What to do next, hmm?
Roberto, mi amigo.
Deslumbrarla con carnitas!
*Dazzle her with carnitas!*

Go buy a boneless butt, cut it up into two to three inch cubes, marinate overnight, then fast simmer in lard or vegetable oil till tender and then turn the heat to high and crisp via deep fry.
It's really easy to make authentic carnitas.

Last edited:
Nice looking cook. Just love all the great resources available on this site.

JC :emoji_cat:

Hey y'all.....thanks for all the kind words and input. Been a pretty busy day and I'm heading out to my little pub in a few to meet some friends. I'll do some individual catching up tomorrow.

Hoping I don't lose my car again :emoji_wink:
Robert

Great job!
As Chile mentioned that is what is referred to as a Guisado in Mexican cooking (not to be confused with Tex-Mex).

You are right to get rid of the salt. Bouillon is basically just well flavored salt and beef broth is again salted. If you don't have beef broth you can basically make it with beef bouillon and water :D

The guisados I grew up on usually had a little some tomato sauce thrown in it. Such a simple a simple tweak will give you another variation you can enjoy.
Also my mother used to wear us out with guisados hahahaha that were all basically the same thing with slight tweaks.
Monday was a beef guisado with a little tomato like I mention. Tuesday was the chicken (bone in skin on chicken parts) version, Wednesday was the pork (assorted chops) version, and then it was all too common to get beef again on Thursday hahahahah.
My father loved the fish (cat fish pieces, bone in) version but we kids didn't care for that version so much so that was all him.

Once you have this master you can always go the green (tomatillo and green chiles) version of this stuff for a tangier option.
I do a Green Chile Pork Posole (has hominy) that is basically a guisado with a different twist to it.

The possibilities are great and probably endless!

I'm so glad you are turning a corner and enjoying some true authentic Mexican (not Tex-Mex) cuisine. Soon we will have you eating Menudo and Chicken Mole! :D

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks fantastic. I thought guiso too. Bistec is more like a lightly coated chicken-fried steak. If the better half liked it, you can call it whatever you want!

Bistec means Steak.
Then you go from there a hundred different ways.
Chicken fried steak is Bistec Empanizado.

Thanks for jogging my memory! I couldn't remember the empanizado but I remember eating them in all of the Texas border towns. Also Puerto Rico and Colombia.

Roberto,
let me just say, that is a really nice Carne de Guisado!
Like!

Thank you Chile!! I have you to thank for the success....and hopefully a lot more to come :-)

And suggest I suggest staying away from the Ole Mission brand, unless you've a spice grinder as it is not ground fine enough.

Well, not knowing any better, the stuff I bought is Ole Mission but appears to be very finely ground and very consistent. Maybe I lucked out.

Appreciate all the input, guidance, and the LIKE!!

Robert

What to do next, hmm?
Roberto, mi amigo.
Deslumbrarla con carnitas!
*Dazzle her with carnitas!*

John, you must be clairvoyant my friend. We were only about half way through dinner when Tracy asked me to make Carnitas next. I've done those in the past with some modicum of success but they were just lacking the rich Mexican flavors I was looking for. I'm headed to your recipe index shortly and doing more detailed reading.

Robert

Great job!
As Chile mentioned that is what is referred to as a Guisado in Mexican cooking (not to be confused with Tex-Mex).

Thank you for the kind words and the input you shared. Being in Texas for a long time, I've learned the vast differences between Mexican and Tex Mex. I like both but my favorite is Mexican due to the depth and richness of the flavors that are developed. Sadly, I cannot do anything chicken though. Tracy is allergic to it. I suppose I could do a turkey mole :emoji_wink:

Hmmmm....
Robert

Nice write up, watch that chili fellow, he have you hooked on smoking, but i cannot think of a better teacher. like
dannylang

Thanks Danny (at least I assume it's Danny). I'm already hooked on smoking and that happened before I joined the Chile Fan Club. I got the secret password and the magic decoder ring with my membership but cannot argue that Chile can be a dangerous man.....but in a really good kind of way :-)

Robert

John, you must be clairvoyant my friend. We were only about half way through dinner when Tracy asked me to make Carnitas next. I've done those in the past with some modicum of success but they were just lacking the rich Mexican flavors I was looking for. I'm headed to your recipe index shortly and doing more detailed reading.

Robert
#1 The marinade
#2 Drain the marinade liquid but all the solids go in the pot with the pork/oil.
#3 Salt the pork as it comes out, before the oil stops running off.
Very important for all deep fried foods.
#4 A squeeze of lime

Awesome Carnitas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky