Inside Round Roast - qview along the way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Shweeeeet!
cow.jpg

Lip smackin goooood!

I was going for well-done this time for tender slices so I foiled at 160F with about 2-3 ounces of the red wine/cider vinegar/worcestershire mop in the foil and kept heating to 180F. If I were to do it again, I would just foil at 160F and take it straight to the cooler to rest. It was so fall apart tender it didn't need the extra heating time and it would have left that much more liquid in the meat. Not complaining, just learning as I go
icon_smile.gif
!

Cheers,

Did you really only use 1/2 a cup of chips for the whole smoke or is that a misprint? I usually feel like I'm not getting enough smoking onto my meat with the MES and I putt in a small handful of chips every 1/2 hour or so . . .

Hi Donny,

Yes, total wood use was just about 1/2 cup - I found it plenty for this roast. I used a small piece of maple about 1"x2" at the start and put a couple of charcoal briquets in the wood pan with it. The rest were hickory and mesquite chips and it really took just a couple every half hour to keep it going - its too cold to watch for anything but steam coming out the top but I keep sniffing at the vent to see if I needed more.

At about 3 hours I'd added one more briquet and that was it as I foiled at 5 hours. The briquets gave the extra zing of nitrogen oxides to get a little smoke ring in there
icon_smile.gif

Great looking smoke there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Points to you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky