Inside Round Roast - qview along the way

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

farnsworth

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Maple, Ontario
OK, another Friday, another piece of meat to get ready!

Found a nice piece of beef for the weekend - a 4 lb inside round roast. Nicely marbled for a round roast and a good 'brick' shape for even cooking all around.

Didn't need any trimming as the butcher did a good job
icon_smile.gif

Injected 2 oz of an even mix of Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil

Drizzled with Worcestershire sauce, then dusted with a mixed rub of:
-dry mustard
-black pepper
-sea salt
-ground corriander
-garlic powder
-onion powder
-sweet paprika
-cayanne pepper
-cumin

It's looking good already, and it's not even started cooking!

She's in the cold to rest for the night and going on in the morning.

Cheers,

Looks good already. Don't forget the pics as you go along.

Morning ladies and gents,

My wife's in the mood for something well-done today, so I've preheated the smoker and the grill already.

Got out on the deck to sun, 16F temp, and snow to replace all that melted last weekend
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Plopped down my roast before searing then remembered to turn for the camera
icon_smile.gif
- this shot was about 1/2 second before I had to lunge and catch it as roast, rack and all started to slide off the snow as the grill warmed up...
eek.gif

In for a total of 10 minutes at about 500F (maxed out the oven thermometer) - smelling great already in the crisp morning air.

After searing , the internal temp was just 46F (up from 43 when I put it on). Sprayed a mist of red wine, cider vinegar, and apple juice on the surface and into the smoker - MES - using a mix of chips (hickory and mesquite and maple - I've set aside about 1/2 cup for now) and added two brickettes of Royal Oak to the wood pan.

Got one thermometer in the meat, one just beside it and watching them from the window of the kitchen. I think I can get that coffee now
icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

I'm trying it new for myself with this one. I've found the smoke pan pretty empty with just a the few chips you can use without getting oversmoked and have followed some other folks advice of adding charcoal or briquets to boost the heat output (it 18F right now out there and after nearly 3 hours still won't hold 250F) and to give the high temp reactions needed to get the smoke ring going. I bought the Royal Oak as I was out of lump charcoal. One plus with adding charcoal or briquets is that they keep on glowing - and heating the wood chips - a little all the time so you keep getting smoke all the time, not just when the element comes on.

Temp's just up to 130F now and the roast is looking great! I'll have follow up late
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Cheers,

Getting there...

After 5 hours at 240F (MES set at 250F , but internal temp probe showed consistent 240F) , removed from smoker at 2pm. Recovered the drippings for later use, wrapped in foil and returned to get a little further along.

Got a nice crisp exterior and a test cut 'nibble' was very tender. Hardly any fat at all has rendered (pan above is after draining
icon_smile.gif
) so I'm hoping all that nice marbling at the start is doing its thing.

Cheers,

Doing one myself today Goodluck! Will post mine after a while. Looking forward to finished pics!

I've got it in the cooler now - lots of liquid in the foil, letting is soak all back in for about 2 hours before cutting! Will have shots later of the finished product.

The Results!

Got the roast ready to carve, meanwhile my wife had made sourdough in a Dutch oven - inspired by Good Eats to do the 'no knead sourdough'.

Got my son's sign of approval to go...

There's steam rising here but I had let it cool to about 160F for slicing, VERY tender, needed a sharp knife to keep the slices together. Managed to get a bit of smoke ring going after all. In total I'd used 1/2 cup of chips and 3 Royal Oak briquets spread over 5 hours before putting the roast in the foil.

Served it up with the sourdough bread, roasted potato slices, sauteed rapini, cole slaw and a mix of pickles.

In the foil, I accumulated over a cup of liquid. Chilled this to take off the fat and mixed with some of the smokier drippings from before - they were too smoky to use as is but blended back in with the flavours here just nice.
icon_smile.gif

I'd been planning on doing up a leg of lamb for today, but my wife's keen to do it herself so she'll be roasting it in the oven instead.

Best wishes, and thanks for the comments.

Cheers,

Very generous of you Cowgirl - I just took a look at your webpage and am still picking my tongue up off the floor - AWESOME range of great things you are into.

Best wishes,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky