Inkbird versus Thermoworks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tiger1964

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Seabrook, MD
I should be shopping for a new unit. I started w/Thermoworks after seeing their instant-read unit used on multiple cooking TV shows. I supplemented that with their Chef Alarm thermometer-on-a-wire. Threw the latter out after getting wildly erratic readings, despite getting a new probe which they told me was the problem. The hand-held is still here but getting goofy readouts too. Mostly I am relying on a $9.99 thermometer-on-a-wire I bought from the LIDL grocery chain, which seems to work once I get it turned on; I have the flick the ON switch a bunch of times, so I guess it's on borrowed time.

So, I see Inkbird is active here, and frequent promotions. I think I want 2-4 probes but not interested in anything requiring a cell phone with or without app. Will Inkbird be more reliable in function and accuracy? While waiting for another promotion, I got a Thermoworks catalog in the mail. Lots of choices, but what caught my eye is "Billows", their entry into the market for a temp-driven blower, and I have been wanting to try that technology on my Saffire kamado. I presume it only works with their thermometers. Does anyone think Inkbird is considering offering something similar?

I have a 2 and 4 probe from inkbird and both work good, the 2 probe doesnt need the bluetooth connection to read from a distance it connects directly to the receiver, my 4 probe needs to connect to an app to read from a distance or you can just see the temps at the smoker without.

To be honest I've never had the cash for Thermoworks so can't comment on their units.

I've several therms from both site sponsors InkBird and ThermoPro.Been using the ThermoPros longer but I have no complaints about either brand.

I have an Inkbird IRF-4XS and a ThermoPro TP-08 ... both are accurate, but I had trouble getting the TP ‘indoor’ unit to sync with the ‘outdoor’ unit. No problems with the Inkbird, and like the other alarming and graphing capability. I also have handheld instant read from them and work fine.

I used thermoworks for about a decade and they are solid for sure. I have a couple dots and an MK4. Love them all. I did get an inkbird to test and write up. It was as good as the MK4. No doubt. I gave it away to a member here as I dont need two instant reads. I can’t comment on the longevity. But they are far more affordable

Thermapen is the gold standard, but my Inkbird is dead on accurate & a whole lot cheaper. Now I don’t know how long the Inkbird will last, but you could buy several of them for the cost of a Thermapen. My Thermapen is about 10 years old & still works like new, although a couple of years ago I had to replace the battery.
Al

Thanks for all the replies. Not sure I distill a comprehensive answer on quality from all that, except I should be OK with any of these three brands (and why my two ThermoWorks products are troublesome, I do not know). Sounds like, if I want a no-app product, I am limited to two probes - so be it.

That sounds ideal, hopefully someone from Inkbird will chime in on that product, which I could not find on their website.

Thanks. All good info here, if not quite comprehensive enough for me to pull the trigger. Well, within a month it will probably be too cold for me to grill outdoors anyway, so my plan is now to struggle along with what I got and hope that Inkbird (A) might have more info on their blower device, and (B) perhaps they might have another deep-discount sale (I'm retired so $$$ is an issue). Moreover, I need to check out ThermoPro's website.

I have a few different thermos at home. Couple Inkbird's and a one Thermopen. Both are accurate but lets face it I'm a cheap SOB and the Inkbird is a less expensive option but still usually dead on. If you email them on here they even usually have a discount code to use on whatever you are looking at.

I bought an Inkbird 4-probe model thru a promotional deal on this forum and it's been wildly inaccurate and the probes have not proven very durable, despite my taking excellent care of them. I've since ditched it and have gone with a new Thermoworks Smoke. I also used a Maverick ET732 that ran circles around the Inkbird. (I check all of these against (a) an instant-read Thermapen, (b) boiling water and (c) ice bath. The Inkbird is worst of the bunch, while both the Maverick and Smoke are spot on.

I know Inkbird promotes heavily on this forum and many members have them (and like them), but I've not been impressed.

Reactions: Cabo
I bought an Inkbird 4-probe model thru a promotional deal on this forum and it's been wildly inaccurate and the probes have not proven very durable, despite my taking excellent care of them. I've since ditched it and have gone with a new Thermoworks Smoke. I also used a Maverick ET732 that ran circles around the Inkbird. (I check all of these against (a) an instant-read Thermapen, (b) boiling water and (c) ice bath. The Inkbird is worst of the bunch, while both the Maverick and Smoke are spot on.

I know Inkbird promotes heavily on this forum and many members have them (and like them), but I've not been impressed.
If the probes are off in boiling water the therm is under warranty. PM a conversation with Inkbird to figure if it's the BT part or probes.

If the probes are off in boiling water the therm is under warranty. PM a conversation with Inkbird to figure if it's the BT part or probes.

There was inconsistency across multiple Inkbird probes. I'm done with it. I've moved on.

Hmm, still unresolved. Hearing positives and negatives on Inkbird. I'm reading some are in favor of Thermoworks, but I've had trouble with the two Thermoworks I've bought. So, so far, I have not bought anything more and making a decision is not a heartening prospect.

I have had a lot of trouble with the Inkbird. They sent me a couple of replacement probes (one was bad right of the box), but it's just not reliable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky