In light of the greatest song ever recorded thread ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I mostly bought 45's, as they could be had for $.99. Albums were $12 or so.
I think the first album I did buy was The Monkees. I'd play it over and over and drive my parents nuts.
First album won from a radio station call-in was Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Nightingales and Bombers.
It included a track from a British Ornithologist who was recording the songs of Nightingales during WWII, when a squadron of bombers flew overhead. Don't know if they were American or German.
My daughter "borrowed" all my vinyl when she moved out.
Had lots of cassettes, but they didn't last. First CD I bought was Dire Straits, Brothers in Arms.

First record ? Has to be the Archies cut off the back of the cereal box .
I didn't really buy to many , but I did buy the Chicago LP .
The Pink Floyd was my Sisters . Both from 1975 .
1665413421883.jpeg
I have all kinds in the basement , just no turntable .
1665413465141.jpeg
I worked for a place that cleaned carpets when I was in Jr. High . We did some CMC stereo stores . I used to get 8 track's from the one guy , and had a Pioneer super tuner deck in the car . That's all long gone , but I have about 25 LP's of all genre's .

First album I ever bought of my own accord was Foreigner's 4 on 8-track.
It was 1981 and I was 13 years'ol, 'Juke Box Hero' is a still a favorite song.
Saw Foreigner again in concert last year, sure there's been some changes but they still ROCK!

Last edited:
Reactions: MJB05615
I was given many albums and recordings throughout my youth but the first I ever bought with my own earned money was Iron Maiden's Live After Death (vinyl).

First album I ever bought of my own accord was Foreigner's 4 on 8-track.
It was 1981 and I was 13 years'ol, 'Juke Box Hero' is a still a favorite song.
Saw Foreigner again in concert last year, sure there's been some changes but they still ROCK!
Foreigner is cool, their debut Album, simply titled "Foreigner", was the 2nd LP I bought. Love the song "Headknocker" still listen to it now almost 50 years later.

Reactions: Cody_Mack
Charlie Daniels Band(God rest his soul), ''Fire On The Mountain'' ... 8 track ... But I borrowed my brothers Foghat Slowride album before that

For the car (1970 Buick Skylark) I had a Bluapunkt deck... 80 watt power booster W/7 band graphic equalizer ... 6x9 Jenson triaxles in the back window and 6'' Jenson coaxles in the front door ... That bad boy rocked...

Last edited:
Reactions: 912smoker
Told my Mom I wanted a Kiss album (8 track) as I watched her complete her order Columbia House for 1 penny. IIRC there were stamps or something to pick. LOL With my own money I bought lots of 45s first but 99% sure first album was VH Diver Down on cassette. All laughing aside vinyl is a BIG deal now and cassettes gaining traction. If you have clean stuff it's worth good money now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky