I'm back! Let's smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeringking

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 20, 2012
Aroostook County, Maine
Hey guys haven't posted in a long time, life's been crazy, haven't been smoking.
But today is my girlfriends birthday party, and since she's from Puerto Rico I'm doing a pork feast. I've got a whole butt I'm doing for pulled pork, country style ribs, and baby backs.
It's 7:30 and the butt just got on. Overslept this morning. Is an 8.6 lb but bone in. I was anticipating about 12-13 hours. Any tips on cutting that time down a little without cutting the butt in half?
Also any way to put pics on my post without having to quote from another site? Can't seem to find any way to just add from my phone.

To get the butt done quicker crank the heat up 275* to 300*. As for pics, I'm not sure about a phone, but from my camera I just drag the pictures from the camera to the post. They'll show up below the thread and you can choose either thumbnail or full-size. Let us know how it goes - sounds like a busy day.

Chris

Last edited:
Heres the butt on the smoker. Thanks for the tips Chris. Im actually very poorly prepared today since I havent smoked in ages. Started late, even lost my therm. So Im just winging it. Lol Im just keeping the fire and smoke going by sight from memory. Hopefully that keeps my temp about where I want it. Ill do my best to update q-vue through the day!
36745603_10156213875310310_3369534283323539456_o.jpg

Go with a pit temp of 275 and when you get to 160 IT, wrap it in foil. Last time I did an 8#, it took 24 hours (that was at 225). Good luck! Post some pics throughout the day!!

Thanks guys, I have a regular digital them, bit I can't put it in the smoker or it'll get ruined. Wal-Mart is 20 mins away I may go get one later. I was only able to post a pic because I came home to bathe the kiddos. I'm cooking at the girlfriends without my pc so ill only be able to post pics if I can figure out how to from my phone.

Just stop by any mom-n-pop or grocery store and pick up one of the $5.00(or less) stand up oven therms. That's what I use for grate temps.

Chris

Reactions: Nutshell
Also any way to put pics on my post without having to quote from another site? Can't seem to find any way to just add from my phone.
Screenshot_2018-07-07-09-34-54_1.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-07-09-37-35_1.jpg
choose from your gallery or whatever app you keep your photos in. Choose all the pictures you want to upload in order of how you want them to appear in the post.
Screenshot_2018-07-07-09-37-42_1.jpg
Screenshot_2018-07-07-09-41-53_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure you have to repeat the upload process for every photo you want to add. I don't see a way to upload multiple photos at once.

After you click "full image" (to insert every image you've uploaded into your post) they'll show up in your post, then you can make a space between the photos in the post and write descriptions between them if you want to.

Good luck today!

Last edited:
Just got back from running the kids to their moms and the temp was around 325 right above the meat. I'm definitely not winning any awards for temp consistency lol.

Just got back from running the kids to their moms and the temp was around 325 right above the meat. I'm definitely not winning any awards for temp consistency lol.

What's the internal temp on the pork butt? You might want to wrap it even before it hits 160f since you're in a time crunch. A little less smoke and bark, but it'll baste and cook faster... and be done to eat...lol. You still have to let the butt rest for at least an hour once it's 205f. If those are spares, you're planning to be done in about 6 hours, now 5 hours from when you posted them.

I'm rooting for ya!

Ribs looked big..lol. Nice baby backs! You can do them 2-2-1. Spare ribs are 3-2-1.
3 2 1 on baby backs will have them falling off the bone, which isn't bad in my opinion, but they might be dry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky