I want to smoke my nuts....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
Um, that doesn't read right...

I want to smoke my almonds.

Love Smokehouse Almonds. But don't expect to replicate them.
Anybody got any pointers to make your smoked nuts taste better?
EVOO? Seasoned Salt? Touch of Onion powder? Granulated Garlic? Try some rub on my nuts? :confused: :oops: Oh, that almost sounds worse than the title does.

I've done good smoked nuts before. But want to do better than before. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nkpal624
I'm watching this thread, though I'm interested in smoking pecans. Hopefully the same method would be used.

Reactions: SonnyE
I recall someone had a method but cannot remember or find it searching. IIRC nuts were boiled (ouch) with salt and spice, then dried, and later smoked. I do the salt boil thing on pumpkin seeds and works well.

5GRILLZNTN already gave a link to my post about using a simple brine.

I've smoked more almonds than any other food, and have probably made about 2-3 dozen batches. I started out using a recipe that came with the AMNPS which called for a lot of oil and sugar. That recipe is pretty similar to how you make spiced pecans. The problem, however, is that I found it impossible to keep the almonds from going gooey after just a few days. Also, they were a mess to eat, with the sugar getting all over your hands.

I then read a long post on another forum which had a lot of information about a really simple technique that just involved a ten minute soak in a brine solution. I modified that by adding sugar to the brine and also spice. In the end, about the only thing you'll taste is the salt and the smoke.

If you do make some of these, make sure to sprinkle a lot of salt on the almonds both before you smoke, and then again after they come out of the smoker. The brine alone doesn't give them enough salty taste.

Perfect timing on this post, I just picked up a big bag of almonds last night for smoking. Watching....

On the way to LAX this morning between 4 and 5 AM, she brings up my 3# bag of Almonds and sez to freeze them before they go rancid. :rolleyes:

I'm watching this thread, though I'm interested in smoking pecans. Hopefully the same method would be used.

Hi Steve! In reading through Jeff's method, it covers Pecans. Love Pecans, and Pecan Pie is my favorite.

???? wife not home what are you up to ???

Warren

Oh, the Devil made me do it Warren. I was talking with daveomak and he recommended I let my bacon age in the cold.
I jokingly ask if he had a way to take the smoky smell out of the fridge. He sent a picture of his small processing fridge. Sparked my very old yen for my own small fridge, which lead to lookin, which lead to runnin out and buyin a 4.3 Cu. Ft. fridge. I've always wanted a smaller fridge out back for my outdoor 'kitchen'. $117, Black Friday Sale ending today, me and my shopping dog went.
I should probably go back and get a doghouse to sleep in before she gets back.
But it has the Bacon dry aging in it, and a 30... no, 29 pack of beer in it. But it got my MES30 up at countertop level...
Maybe I better get a Horse blanket for the doghouse, too. :emoji_scream:

I recall someone had a method but cannot remember or find it searching. IIRC nuts were boiled (ouch) with salt and spice, then dried, and later smoked. I do the salt boil thing on pumpkin seeds and works well.

Well, stuff is rollin in, Sam. Lots to try. My weather is turning toward rain here, so no smoking until the weather girl makes up her mind...

Yeah, that's John's method.

Try this https://www.smoking-meat.com/how-to-smoke-nuts-and-seeds I use McCormick's Sweet and Smoky rub instead of Jeff's rub (and add a little into the brine as well) but the results are really good. Smoke with some charcoal and hickory and make them quite a bit. You won't want to go back to those Blue Diamond Smokehouse ones again.

Yup, sounds good. I only have 3 pounds of Almonds. Wait, I just remembered the broken pecans I got for the Pumpkin Bars. Might have to diversify...

5GRILLZNTN already gave a link to my post about using a simple brine.

I've smoked more almonds than any other food, and have probably made about 2-3 dozen batches. I started out using a recipe that came with the AMNPS which called for a lot of oil and sugar. That recipe is pretty similar to how you make spiced pecans. The problem, however, is that I found it impossible to keep the almonds from going gooey after just a few days. Also, they were a mess to eat, with the sugar getting all over your hands.

I then read a long post on another forum which had a lot of information about a really simple technique that just involved a ten minute soak in a brine solution. I modified that by adding sugar to the brine and also spice. In the end, about the only thing you'll taste is the salt and the smoke.

If you do make some of these, make sure to sprinkle a lot of salt on the almonds both before you smoke, and then again after they come out of the smoker. The brine alone doesn't give them enough salty taste.

I look forward to trying this John! Thanks!!

Looks like a lot of us want to smoke our nuts for the holidays.
Be careful not to burn your's, but remember the cold beer if you do.:emoji_wink:

John's method looks pretty dialed in but a little scared of smoking ANYTHING wet. I'd want a drying phase in the smoker sans smoke or oven first. Curious if anyone has cold smoked nuts. I know it might be a PITA but multi day process usually gives me far better results than same day.

Um, that doesn't read right...

I want to smoke my almonds.

Love Smokehouse Almonds. But don't expect to replicate them.
Anybody got any pointers to make your smoked nuts taste better?
EVOO? Seasoned Salt? Touch of Onion powder? Granulated Garlic? Try some rub on my nuts? :confused: :oops: Oh, that almost sounds worse than the title does.

I've done good smoked nuts before. But want to do better than before. :rolleyes:

Here's a Great one, Sonny.
Gary "Scarbelly" was the King of Smoked Nuts around here, but we lost him a few years ago. RIP Gary.
He sent me some Smoked Nuts from CA, back then & they were Awesome.
Link:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chipotle-garlic-mixed-nuts.111474/

Bear

Reactions: zwiller and SonnyE
John's method looks pretty dialed in but a little scared of smoking ANYTHING wet. I'd want a drying phase in the smoker sans smoke or oven first. Curious if anyone has cold smoked nuts. I know it might be a PITA but multi day process usually gives me far better results than same day.

Since I have it, I've been entertaining the idea of using my dehydrator to keep my nuts all cozy during our current rain storm. It can be run at 90 degrees so I wouldn't burn my nuts fooling around with this.

Grass don't grow under my feet. :emoji_laughing:

Here's a Great one, Sonny.
Gary "Scarbelly" was the King of Smoked Nuts around here, but we lost him a few years ago. RIP Gary.
He sent me some Smoked Nuts from CA, back then & they were Awesome.
Link:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/chipotle-garlic-mixed-nuts.111474/

Bear

Thank You Bear! It's a great idea to keep our Friends who go before us with us. Another great thing about a place like SMF.com, they live on and we can share the great things they knew and did.

I'll try it. I don't know if I have anything Chipotle around here, but I can get some. Got lots of other stuff.
I just found a bag of "Hot Honey Powder" I made. It's Powdered Honey + Cyan pepper. Tasted it with a finger dab and I'm still burning. LOL.

After reading through Gary's post, I just have to go get some Chipotle powder. Looks so simple! And I'm all for simple and easy.

I've been playing with my nuts. I have now divided them into 8 ounce bowls. 6 - 1/2 pound batches.
It's play day! :emoji_rolling_eyes:

The 5 YO Grand Daughter took home a nice bag of my Pork Jerky the other day. I asked her if it was too spicy.
She said, "No, I just get a drink of water with it."
Smart girl. :emoji_smile: Her baby Sister (2 1/2) likes it, too.

Last edited:
I might have to try smoking some Almonds. Christmas is coming up and my relatives universally all love almonds, peanuts, etc.

I smoke about 15 Kg of nuts a month for a couple of Bars that sell them. Mostly Almonds and Cashews but sometimes Pistachios too. The challenge is to get the smoke to stick to the surface of the nuts and I do this in a two stage process.

1. For the best results you need to start with raw nuts - not roasted or flavoured
  2. Make a brine from 30 g of smoked salt in 230 g water. The salt is obviously smoked in advance
  3. Pour the nuts into the brine and mix to ensure that they are completely covered.
  4. Strain immediately through a kitchen sieve and place the strained nuts in a large roasting pan
  5. Blitz 30 g of smoked salt per Kg of nuts in a coffee grinder until it is a fine powder and sprinkle evenly over the nuts. Mix well to ensure all of the surfaces of the nuts are covered
  6. I have had some mesh baskets made for the smoker but you can use a flat roasting tray
  7. Heat the smoker to 160 C (320 F) and then roast the nuts for 3 x 8 minutes (a total of 24 minutes). After each 8 minutes stir the nuts well as, at first, the salt brine will be causing some to stick to the tray.
  8. After they have finished roasting place the trays into the cold smoker and smoke for ~8 hours
Nuts roasting in hot smoker

5a65bcbec3ae2_CashewsinFEC.thumb.jpg.d4f1310b26e311f8a2fda3ad2d34179d.jpg

Nuts in cold smoker

5a65bc7fb6f45_Cashewsinsmoker.thumb.jpg.cf605b17192b1936706ad6c1468a595c.jpg

I usually supply them in 1 Kg bags but I also pack them in 200 g packets.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky