1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

I want to smoke my nuts....

Discussion in 'Fruit, Nuts & Vegetables' started by SonnyE, Nov 28, 2018.

1. wade

wade Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes you do need to watch them to ensure that they don't burn. You want to avoid direct heat on the nuts for too long or they can burn. I hot smoke mine in an FEC-100 which provides heat from the top and I have a large pan on the top shelf to act as a heat baffle and each time I stir the nuts I rotate their position in the smoker. This avoids hot spots. You are looking for the faintest of straw colour on the cashews and no real colour on the almonds. When I demonstrate this in my BBQ courses I use a ProQ vertical smoker or a WSM with an empty water pan in place and these do not burn.

2. wade

wade Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes you need to make sure that they don't burn. You are looking for the slightest light straw colour on the cashews and no colour at all on the almonds. I roast mine in an FEC-100 which has top heat and I place a large empty pan on the top shelf to act as a heat baffle. I also rotate their position in the smoker every time I stir. When I demonstrate this at my cooking classes I use either a ProQ or WSM vertical smoker with an empty water pan and these do not burn. Every smoker and smoker thermometer will be different and so the cooking times may need adjusting slightly depending on the smoker.

3. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

Wade, thanks for the tips on how to avoid burning nuts. Regardless of the temperature used, that advice will be helpful.

4. Bearcarver

Bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member