I need help adjusting Lebanon bologna recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
For 30 pounds of Ground Meat:
That's 1/4 ounce per pound---That's what I said above.
In Pennsylvania, 1/4 times 30 is 7.5.
So that means you need 7.5 ounces of TQ for 30 pounds of Ground Meat.

Sounds familiar---Hmmm, That's because that's what I said in Post #11 above.

Bear
Touché. That it does.....that it does indeed. I'm not as dumm as I've made myself look here ;-) Thanks for your help and your time.

Bear,

When I do the math a using 1 ounce is 28 grams so that means 1/2 ounce or generally 1 TBLS of TQ should equal 14 grams. 30 x 14g = 420 grams or 14.84 ounces. I'm in southern PA so maybe we do maff a little differently than you Northerners Pa'ers do.

Actually when I weighed out 1 TBSL of Tender Quick it averaged out to 12 grams. I did this several times with different scoops from the same bag.

Yup, I fiddled around a couple times trying to compare a TBS with 1/2 ounce, and it was all over the place, but with TQ it doesn't have to be as accurate as with Cure #1, because 1 ounce of Cure #1 is equal to 12.5 ounces of TQ.
And that's one of my reasons I never screw around with Grams. When somebody says "Grams" I close my ears.

Bear

Bear,

When I do the math a using 1 ounce is 28 grams so that means 1/2 ounce or generally 1 TBLS of TQ should equal 14 grams. 30 x 14g = 420 grams or 14.84 ounces. I'm in southern PA so maybe we do maff a little differently than you Northerners Pa'ers do.
As a central Pa'er, and according to bear, as he directed me to his earlier post #11, you need to multiply 7 grams x 30, not 14. That gives you about 7.5 oz.

half tbs or 1/4 oz per lb ground meat.

Here is the recipe for paps deer bologna:
25 lbs venison
5 lbs beef ground chuck
1lb Tender quick
1lb brown sugar
1 oz black pepper
1 oz accent
1/2 oz mace
10 fl oz Kings syrup
10 fl oz liquid smoke

Mix and stuff into hose at 8"x21"
Refrigerate 24-48 hours
Bake at 200 4 hours turning quarter turn each hour. Hang 3 days to harden.

Then cut into 2" slices and cut wedges from the slice and pickle it if you want.
Pack into 1/2 gallon mason.
Mix together:
2 TBS red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
3 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water

Let sit 7 days in fridge.

The flavor of this is really good and tastes exactly like the Pa deer bologna I remember, and actually comes from a disgruntled seltzers employee (so the story goes) Im still unclear on if I'll need to modify anything to use 2.5" fibrous casings. Omit the liquid smoke?

IMHO you may want to ditch the Accent

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky