I need help adjusting Lebanon bologna recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wnctracker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2016
Western North Carolina
1. The recipe calls for 16 oz tender quick for 30 lbs meat.
I have lots of pink salt and very little tender quick. How could I adjust to use pink salt and achieve same flavor?

2. Recipe calls for 10 oz liquid smoke and then to be baked in oven. If I cook it in my smoker and omit liquid smoke will I need to add 10 oz liquid to mix? Will the flavor be off? Should I use liquid smoke AND still smoke it?

3. Recipe says to stuff into (believe or not) knee high nylons (like pantyhose) until 8 inches by 21 inches long and bake at 200 for 4 hrs. Turning a quarter each hour. If I buy some LEM 2.5" summer sausage casings, how will that adjust cooking time or flavor? Should I just use 6" red bologna casing? I want to change it because I don't use it in sandwiches. I eat it in chunks and like to pickle it so don't need big slices.

I've made this several times, it's my grandfathers recipe and is absolutely delicious. But I want to try to modify it this time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'd suggest buying more TQ.

If smoking no need to add liquid smoke. Putrid stuff IMHO anyways.

Bologna will need to be heated to 152 to 155* minimum internal temp. Cook duration/time is irrelevant. Its done when its done. It might take 4 hours or 12. You won't know until it reaches temp.

Casings, non editable collagen will work a treat.

FWIW I can't imagine a 8" round of bologna 21" long being up to temp cooking at 200* in only 4 hours. At any rate that's one huge bologna. You'd need a buck saw to cut it.

Good luck
Thanks for the reply. I've made it several times and yeah closer to 6" rounds done in 4 hrs in oven. I guess I'm expecting it to cook faster at smaller casing size. Is that accurate?

For 25lbs of meat you would use 12.5 Tbsp of MTQ, For another 5lbs you would need to add 7.5 tsp
Put both together and see how many ounces you have for 30lbs.

Just buy the regular LEM 2 or 2.5" casings. Skip the hose and the 6" chub casings. Depending on what smoker you have your looking at anywhere from 6-9 hours for a product IT of 152* Yes at times you will get a stall.

4-6" diameter stuffed casings will take longer than 4hrs. Smoker temp over 170* and your risking a fat-out.

GL

For 25lbs of meat you would use 12.5 Tbsp of MTQ, For another 5lbs you would need to add 7.5 tsp
Put both together and see how many ounces you have for 30lbs.

Just buy the regular LEM 2 or 2.5" casings. Skip the hose and the 6" chub casings. Depending on what smoker you have your looking at anywhere from 6-9 hours for a product IT of 152* Yes at times you will get a stall.

4-6" diameter stuffed casings will take longer than 4hrs. Smoker temp over 170* and your risking a fat-out.

GL
Will do. Thanks for the help. So you'd suggest just buying more MTQ rather than trying to mix up Prague powder I have and regular sea salt?

You can mix Prague Powder just fine... TQ adds a lot of salt, 3% or so..using their directions....
For the Prague Powder, measure 1 level tsp. for every 5#'s of meat... or 1.13 grams per 5#'s... That will give you 0.25% salt on the meat+/- and ~156 Ppm nitrite.... Generally a total of 2% salt is good.. so you can add 1.75% salt .... Mix it all together well, including any spices etc... and evenly distribute it over the meat... Mix into the meat well.... Have your meat cold and in chunks ready for the grinder when you add the mix..
Now you can grind and stuff and rest in the refer for a day or 2 so you get developed flavor throughout the meat.. be sure to let the bologna come up to ambient temp before adding smoke.. it can be warmed in the smoker for an hour or 2 at 120 ish... then add smoke..

What Dave said. MTQ will add allot of salt. For your 30lbs you would use 6 level tsp of cure #1. You can add some ECA to reduce the Ph for a decent shelf stable. Also try to use canning/pickling salt. How much salt does your recipe call for?

What Dave said. MTQ will add allot of salt. For your 30lbs you would use 6 level tsp of cure #1. You can add some ECA to reduce the Ph for a decent shelf stable. Also try to use canning/pickling salt. How much salt does your recipe call for?
I will post up the recipe when I get home...

Actually when you use TQ for sausage, you don't get much salt from it, because you only use 1/2 TBS per pound of meat, like NEPAS said, instead of the 1 TBS that you use for whole meat (Bacon, CB, BBB, etc).

I don't add any salt to any of my food, and I can't taste any salt in sausage that I used TQ in.
And I know a number of guys who add salt to their sausage when using TQ, because of the low salt content when using only 1/2 TBS of TQ per pound of sausage.

Too many people get confused, because of only using half as much TQ for Ground meat, as you use for whole meat.

Bear

1. The recipe calls for 16 oz tender quick for 30 lbs meat.
I have lots of pink salt and very little tender quick. How could I adjust to use pink salt and achieve same flavor?

2. Recipe calls for 10 oz liquid smoke and then to be baked in oven. If I cook it in my smoker and omit liquid smoke will I need to add 10 oz liquid to mix? Will the flavor be off? Should I use liquid smoke AND still smoke it?

3. Recipe says to stuff into (believe or not) knee high nylons (like pantyhose) until 8 inches by 21 inches long and bake at 200 for 4 hrs. Turning a quarter each hour. If I buy some LEM 2.5" summer sausage casings, how will that adjust cooking time or flavor? Should I just use 6" red bologna casing? I want to change it because I don't use it in sandwiches. I eat it in chunks and like to pickle it so don't need big slices.

I've made this several times, it's my grandfathers recipe and is absolutely delicious. But I want to try to modify it this time. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

30 pounds of ground meat calls for 15 TBS of TQ, or 7.5 ounces.
This amount comes from using Morton's recommended 1/2 TBS per pound of ground meat, which is 1/4 Ounce per pound.

Bear

30 pounds of ground meat calls for 15 TBS of TQ, or 7.5 ounces.
This amount comes from using Morton's recommended 1/2 TBS per pound of ground meat, which is 1/4 Ounce per pound.

Bear
Here is the recipe for paps deer bologna:
25 lbs venison
5 lbs beef ground chuck
1lb Tender quick
1lb brown sugar
1 oz black pepper
1 oz accent
1/2 oz mace
10 fl oz Kings syrup
10 fl oz liquid smoke

Mix and stuff into hose at 8"x21"
Refrigerate 24-48 hours
Bake at 200 4 hours turning quarter turn each hour. Hang 3 days to harden.

Then cut into 2" slices and cut wedges from the slice and pickle it if you want.
Pack into 1/2 gallon mason.
Mix together:
2 TBS red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
3 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water

Let sit 7 days in fridge.

The flavor of this is really good and tastes exactly like the Pa deer bologna I remember, and actually comes from a disgruntled seltzers employee (so the story goes) Im still unclear on if I'll need to modify anything to use 2.5" fibrous casings. Omit the liquid smoke?

Here is the recipe for paps deer bologna:
25 lbs venison
5 lbs beef ground chuck
1lb Tender quick
1lb brown sugar
1 oz black pepper
1 oz accent
1/2 oz mace
10 fl oz Kings syrup
10 fl oz liquid smoke

Mix and stuff into hose at 8"x21"
Refrigerate 24-48 hours
Bake at 200 4 hours turning quarter turn each hour. Hang 3 days to harden.

Then cut into 2" slices and cut wedges from the slice and pickle it if you want.
Pack into 1/2 gallon mason.
Mix together:
2 TBS red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp salt
3 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water

Let sit 7 days in fridge.

The flavor of this is really good and tastes exactly like the Pa deer bologna I remember, and actually comes from a disgruntled seltzers employee (so the story goes) Im still unclear on if I'll need to modify anything to use 2.5" fibrous casings. Omit the liquid smoke?

Hi Tracker,
I would say you can use your Recipe, except change the amount of TQ for 30 pounds to 7 1/2 ounces (15 TBS).

Then you should Smoke to temp, not time.
This forum recommends you smoke sausage to 160° internal temp.

The smoking schedule of smoker Times & Temps in my "Bear Logs" below would work good:
Smoked Bear Logs (All Beef)

Bear

Hi Tracker,
I would say you can use your Recipe, except change the amount of TQ for 30 pounds to 7 1/2 ounces (15 TBS).

Then you should Smoke to temp, not time.
This forum recommends you smoke sausage to 160° internal temp.

The smoking schedule of smoker Times & Temps in my "Bear Logs" below would work good:
Smoked Bear Logs (All Beef)

Bear
Thank you. Since it will be 7.5 oz of MTQ, I think I might add 4.4 oz kosher salt and 2.45 oz white cane sugar to the MTQ to the 30 lb batch. That should yield the same flavor I'm used to but with less of the MTQ. According to my math, that is...

Thank you. Since it will be 7.5 oz of MTQ, I think I might add 4.4 oz kosher salt and 2.45 oz white cane sugar to the MTQ to the 30 lb batch. That should yield the same flavor I'm used to but with less of the MTQ. According to my math, that is...

That's up to you:
I would think that 1 pound of Brown sugar would be enough, but that's up to you, and 2.45 oz isn't a big deal.

As for the 4.4 oz of salt, I normally don't add any salt when using TQ, however I've often thought about it because there is usually NO salt flavor at all, so I would say 4.4 wouldn't hurt, but don't add more than that.

Bear

Bear,

I thought TQ was used at 1/2 the rate when using w/ ground meats. I will make the correction in my notes.

Yup---1TBS (1/2 Ounce) of TQ per pound of whole meat.

But only 1/2TBS (1/4 Ounce) of TQ per Pound of Ground meat.

Bear

Yup---1TBS (1/2 Ounce) of TQ per pound of whole meat.

But only 1/2TBS (1/4 Ounce) of TQ per Pound of Ground meat.

Bear
DANG IT. Just when I thought I was settled on a plan....so I need to cut the TQ in half now since it's mixed into ground meat? Just curious as to why? So I'll ONLY need to do 3.75 oz of TQ for 30 lbs of meat? which means 4.175 oz sugar and 8.075 oz kosher salt......

DANG IT. Just when I thought I was settled on a plan....so I need to cut the TQ in half now since it's mixed into ground meat? Just curious as to why? So I'll ONLY need to do 3.75 oz of TQ for 30 lbs of meat? which means 4.175 oz sugar and 8.075 oz kosher salt......

For 30 pounds of Ground Meat:
That's 1/4 ounce per pound---That's what I said above.
In Pennsylvania, 1/4 times 30 is 7.5.
So that means you need 7.5 ounces of TQ for 30 pounds of Ground Meat.

Sounds familiar---Hmmm, That's because that's what I said in Post #11 above.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky