I didn't want this to be my second post.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Boy I don’t know how I missed this.
I’m sure going to miss JJ.
He has helped me numerous times & will definitely will be missed.
Prayers to your family.
Al

Reactions: ChefTrinket
So sorry to hear. My condolences to you and your family when I joined 10 years ago chef Jimmy was the first one to welcome me and he was always willing to give advice and help. He will be missed.

my condolences. he is one who helped me conquer using wine in a sauce and it not tasting awful. I took his word as gospel on here. he will be missed.

Very sad news. Chef Jimmy is one of the legends of this site, especially when it came to food safety. I can't count how many times I wasn't comfortable answering a safety question. My response was always "Give Chef Jimmy a few minutes, he will know what to do". Usually by the time I typed and posted he had already chimed in. Everything I knew about him, he's one of the nicest most knowledgeable people. RIP Chef Jimmy.

Some how I missed this. I was on vacation at the time. I'm very saddened by this news. Jimmy was a very respected individual and I was hoping to meet him at the PA. gathering some day. Looks like it will have to be in heaven. My condolences to you and your family.

Joe

I can't believe I missed this in November. Very sorry for your loss ChefTrinket ChefTrinket . I never met Chef Jimmy but he has helped me numerous times, and thanks to his posts and recipes will continue to do so for years to come.

My pulled pork was fair to middlin' until I figured out how to improve it. Now people ask what my secret is. The secret, of course, is Chef Jimmy's finishing sauce.

mcokevin mcokevin

Thanks for posting your condolences. It is never too late to keep a great person in your thoughts. chef jimmyj chef jimmyj was one of the special ones here on Smoking Meats Forum. I know I will miss him dearly.

There is a tear in my eye as I type this,

John

Last edited:
I’ve been away from the forums for some time. My mother passed away the day after Thanksgiving - after a long and difficult illness - and I’ve been dealing with that loss, and trying to see to her affairs…so I just learned today of JJ’s passing.

I‘m knocked for a loop! Before I got preoccupied with Mom’s illness, I knew that he’d been dealing with some health problems, had no idea we‘d lost him. JJ was definitely one of the good ones! Back in our early memberships - I joined in 2009, and Jimmy joined in 2011 - he helped me regularly to become a better cook. His knowledge and experience were obvious right from the start. He was always willing to give experienced and expert advice, constructive criticism, or just an encouraging word. I can’t think of anyone here who‘s been more respected, more knowledgeable, and more helpful than JJ.

I realize this is several weeks too late, but Goodbye Old Friend…and Rest In Peace!

Red

I’ve been away from the forums for some time. My mother passed away the day after Thanksgiving - after a long and difficult illness - and I’ve been dealing with that loss, and trying to see to her affairs…so I just learned today of JJ’s passing.

I‘m knocked for a loop! Before I got preoccupied with Mom’s illness, I knew that he’d been dealing with some health problems, had no idea we‘d lost him. JJ was definitely one of the good ones! Back in our early memberships - I joined in 2009, and Jimmy joined in 2011 - he helped me regularly to become a better cook. His knowledge and experience were obvious right from the start. He was always willing to give experienced and expert advice, constructive criticism, or just an encouraging word. I can’t think of anyone here who‘s been more respected, more knowledgeable, and more helpful than JJ.

I realize this is several weeks too late, but Goodbye Old Friend…and Rest In Peace!

Red
Sounds like you've been through alot lately also! So our thoughts and prayers go out to you also! My mom went home in April of 20 so know the feeling.

Ryan

Sounds like you've been through alot lately also! So our thoughts and prayers go out to you also! My mom went home in April of 20 so know the feeling.

Ryan

Thanks Brother! Lost both my parents in 2021. Dad lost a tough battle with Covid in January, then Mom in November…that’s a year I’d just as soon forget.

Appreciate your kind words…but I never meant to hijack the thread. I really just wanted to give my belated respects to a really good guy…here’s to you, JJ!

Red

Edit: meant to type 2021 - but my clumsy finger apparently typed 2020.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear this. JJ passed on so much knowledge to this site. I use his famous finishing sauce on my pulled pork and everyone always goes nuts for it. He has answered so many questions for me, I’ve used so many of his recipes and he was truly a nice guy and one of the main reasons this forum is so great. I hope you and your family are doing ok. And realize how much he meant to everyone on here!

Thank you for posting ChefTrinket ChefTrinket and informing the "other" family. Peace to you and your family.
I actually just found this thread this morning.

I greatly appreciated the add about bay leaves in his ashes.
Our first conversations started over unique spices and herbs and the difficulty in finding them (and even commoner spices) out in the wilds of Pennsylvania.

I'm also in late to post. I heard about James (I always used JJ) passing in early December, but ....
Been in a foul mood over the deaths of other people, including one of my best friends, since we started our first snowbird winter.

Peace be with all that have lost family and friends

-John

RIP and my families prayers for JJ and his family. When I first joined I remember he was always awesome about responding and helping me out. He was definitely one of the crew that made this forums culture special and welcoming.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky