Hybrid cold-Hot smoke Canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
My local restaurant supply has Pork loin on sale $1.58/pound So I picked up 5 of them. All averaged 10.5-12 pounds. I removed the bulk of the fat but not all of it. I like to do this when dry brining to get better cure penetration. I then cut each loin into quarters. I vac packed 16 of the quarters for use later and put them in the freezer. I saved the fat trimmings and vac packed 3 bags for sausage making.

4 of the quarters I weighed out and using Digging Dogs Farm universal cure calculator I calculated the proper cure, salt and sugar needed for each piece.

I placed each hunk of loin into a vac pack bag and added the proper amounts of cure mix to the bags. I sealed them but did not vacuum the air out. For the first couple days I'll massage them and once the moisture has reabsorbed I will open them up and then vacuum them and seal for the rest of the cure.

These all average 2"+/- in thickness so they will need to cure for 8 days at least. more than likely they will go more like 14 days due to my schedule. Then I will season and air dry in the fridge 5 days. Then cold smoke 8-12 hours. Then hot smoke to 145°. I want this to be ready to eat out of the pack.

27074770559_4112d1a11a_c.jpg

I place my meat slabs when curing on parchment paper so I can write down the weight and cure amounts.

23986185417_718e627cc6_c.jpg

38819993542_2beb69d813_c.jpg

38851282341_8d1fa4e383_c.jpg

37964183505_d3c55e39c4_c.jpg

I mark the weight and date packed on the vac bag.

37964183835_a010a9214a_c.jpg

Now we wait!

Reactions: Rings Я Us
That's a good idea writing it down on that paper like that. I am gonna steal that idea.

After you cold smoke them will you be doing a slow, incremental hit smoke Case? Or jut a regular smoke to reach IT?
Gary

Gary it depends on the timing. I would like to step temp smoke it. I'll just have to see what time allows for.

Started mine on Friday.. Same weight and thickness. Nice! I'm using TQ and regular sugar. Pinch of onion/garlic powder each.

Should be tasty. Make sure you do a fry test after curing. TQ can be over salty and you may need to soak the meat prior to smoking.

I have read in various threads about slicing ... I have a sorta large batch that I will be drying Saturday for a day and smoking Sunday am ..my question is why do people prefer to put in fridge for a couple days before slicing, and some say to freeze for about 4 hrs or so then slice .. This batch I am making is 15.5 lbs, and never really made a big batch before .. whenever I made cb I would just let cool down from a morning smoke, then put in fridge for like 4 hrs, and cut up and package later in evening ...

I have read in various threads about slicing ... I have a sorta large batch that I will be drying Saturday for a day and smoking Sunday am ..my question is why do people prefer to put in fridge for a couple days before slicing, and some say to freeze for about 4 hrs or so then slice .. This batch I am making is 15.5 lbs, and never really made a big batch before .. whenever I made cb I would just let cool down from a morning smoke, then put in fridge for like 4 hrs, and cut up and package later in evening ...

Depending on how you are slicing it, a slightly frozen hunk of meat is easier to hand slice. Some Slicers perform better when the meat is partially frozen giving more uniform slices.

I like to let my bacon mellow prior to packing. Since I hand slice everything I will smoke the meat. Place in the fridge overnight or maybe two nights and then slice and pack.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky