Humidity and pellets in the NW pacific with Avg humidity of 78%

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

2008RN

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Sweet Home, Oregon
OK, I have been saving for just over a year, and I am going to buy a pellet pooper in April. I currently use Lumberjack pellets in with AMNTS & AMNPS with my fridge smoker. I live in Oregon and the humidity today is 87% which is normal for 8-9 months of the year. I store the 20 lbs bags in 5 gallon buckets. I know that with the pellets grill I will burn at least 2 lbs an hour. I just can't run out to the store and get lumberjack pellets in the Northwest. I have considered getting 1/2 ton of my favorite pellets, but it is not smart to store 1/2 ton of pellets in 5 gallon buckets.

Anybody out there in high humidity areas and have had problems storing pellets for up to a few of years. I have a pellet stove, and I have heating pellets for up to 4 years without problems.

Last edited:
1000lb of cooking pellets would last a very long time... in my first year I used about 200lb...and my wife gave me the "too much meat" talk - again bahahah it was like every weekend.

Not sure I would want to store that much cooking pellets. Where i lives its very dry, but I get a couple 40lb bags at a time delivered and works.

Northwest? Like Washington? Dicks carries lumberjacks. can you get some there?

I live in Oregon and store bags of pellets on the shelf in my uninsulated garage. Some of. My bags have been in there for over 2 years and are perfectly fine.

I also keep a couple bags of pellets out back in my plastic deck box. They have been known to sit in there throughout winter. I have never experienced any ill effects with them when I burn them.

Keep them off concrete and you should be fine.

1000lb of cooking pellets would last a very long time... in my first year I used about 200lb...and my wife gave me the "too much meat" talk - again bahahah it was like every weekend.

Not sure I would want to store that much cooking pellets. Where i lives its very dry, but I get a couple 40lb bags at a time delivered and works.

Northwest? Like Washington? Dicks carries lumberjacks. can you get some there?

They don't have cherry or mesquite at the store, and they are unavailable to be shipped in. The price is also 50% more a bag, then if I bought a bunch. I just came back from Colorado and picked up 100 lbs. of the 5 flavor I cook with and it cost me $10/bag for a local distributor there. I am lucky my wife likes the fact that she does not have to PLAN and cook all the time. She welcomes me smoking.

it took a smidge more than $49 bucks to get free shipping, like 5 bags = 74.95 plus tax no shipping from dicks.

I wouldnt want 1/2 ton of pellets sitting around. PITA/risk/cost and such. I use the rec tec ultimate blend and have a couple bags shipped at a time now that i finished off the 200LB that came with it. Just my take...

Keep forgetting to say this. 2Lb an hour would be an insane consumption rate. most run about half that on average. in the summer less than half for sure. at least on my rec tec.

I just burned my last bag of Lumber Jack last night. I noticed that the bag was very well sealed and as I remember, the other 11 bags I bought were all packaged very well.

I believe the trick to storing them in a non-climate controlled environment is the packaging. With that in mind, you should be okay.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky