Howdy from North Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Faceplant247

Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
Denton, TX
Hello hello! I'm new to the forums and looking forward to the ensuing discussions. I'm an avid hunter and wild game food fanatic. I enjoy grilling, smoking, sous vide, cast-iron cooking and, curing/dehydrating meats.

I made 18 pounds of venison breakfast sausage tonight that turned out great. I am also making jalapeno/cheese link venison sausage, and some spicy venison snack sticks.

Would you all smoke the link sausage or just freeze as is? What about the snack sticks? I don't have a smokehouse, so would just have to smoke them on a regular smoker. What cure would you use for smoking vs. non smoking?

Thanks.

Also - I ran the link sausage through the grinder on a coarse grind. Would you run it back through on medium or keep it coarse?

Hey Faceplant,welcome! I'm no curing expert but there are plenty here.It seem to be really rearing it's head lately.
I pretty much stick to brining but you will most likely have some answers soon....Oh,it will be helpful for future conversations if you put your locale on your avatar.

Bill

Thanks for the welcome. My understanding is that if I am going to smoke sausage links and sticks, then CURE #1 MUST be added. Is that correct? Or can TenderQuick be used? I used tenderquick on the breakfast sausage, but haven't made the links and sticks yet.

Another couple of questions:

Smoking something will add flavor and let the sausages last longer - correct? Fresh sausages will still be good, but not have the depth of smoke flavor - and I'll have to double wrap them in the freezer? Will smoking the links and sticks dry them out? Should I just add smoke flavor - and then smoke them when I cook them? If I pre-smoke the links, and then smoke them again when I want to eat them, will they turn out dry?

Faceplant,you will get faster/better responses if you post these questions under "sausages" on the main forum page.I wish I could answer these for you but I seldom dabble in this sausage stuff.

Bill

texas-animated-flag-1.gif
Good morning and welcome to the forum from a warmish November day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky