Howdy from Central Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WolfBrother

Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
I found out about this forum when reading this blog post - http://www.askaprepper.com/smoke-bacon-easy-way/

I got the handle WolfBrother one Sunday afternoon pre-Y2K. A friend of mine was very much into Mountain Man/Buckskinner re-enacting. He invited me over to meet the group and deliberately didn't tell me about his dog Wolf. Long story short, within a couple of minutes Wolf was greeting me like a long lost brother and Bob was getting Hoorawed because Wolf greeted me like he did. By the end of the day the group had gone from Wolfs Brother to WolfBrother.

I have made jerky, biltong, pemmican (with and without berries), pinole, hard tack, portable soup and such. My interest is in how they did it back then. I will be searching thru the bacon posts to see if I can find any posts on how to smoke/cure bacon/hams the way they did before refrigeration.

I will share any knowledge I have.

WolfBrother

Hi WolfBrother!
Welcome to
small-logo.png

When I began making my Jerky, I used the 1800's era type method of seasoning and drying my strips of beef. When I started smoking fish, I began by studying how the Native Alaskans smoked their fish and Salmon.

50 years later, here I am, and very glad I found SMF. It has really helped me improve my meat.

I found out about this forum when reading this blog post - http://www.askaprepper.com/smoke-bacon-easy-way/

I got the handle WolfBrother one Sunday afternoon pre-Y2K. A friend of mine was very much into Mountain Man/Buckskinner re-enacting. He invited me over to meet the group and deliberately didn't tell me about his dog Wolf. Long story short, within a couple of minutes Wolf was greeting me like a long lost brother and Bob was getting Hoorawed because Wolf greeted me like he did. By the end of the day the group had gone from Wolfs Brother to WolfBrother.

I have made jerky, biltong, pemmican (with and without berries), pinole, hard tack, portable soup and such. My interest is in how they did it back then. I will be searching thru the bacon posts to see if I can find any posts on how to smoke/cure bacon/hams the way they did before refrigeration.

I will share any knowledge I have.

WolfBrother

Look for a member named daveomak. He will set you straight. He has all the old publications. There was just a thread the other day with a bit of back and forth on the topic. But a coversation with Dave will probably be more productive

Reactions: WolfBrother
Look for a member named daveomak. He will set you straight. He has all the old publications. There was just a thread the other day with a bit of back and forth on the topic. But a coversation with Dave will probably be more productive
Thank you

welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing how you do it. stop in chat and visit if you get time

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky