Howdy everybody!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

streetdoc79

Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Beckley, WV
Hello all,

My name is Eric, but my username on here is Streetdoc79.  Im a firefighter/paramedic and have been cooking/smoking for several years on a New Braunfels Offset and a Oklahoma Joes with good success.  But, I need more smoke in my life and have stated construction of a pull behind smoker.  I recently acquired a "project" smoker from an individual who had great intentions, but lacked some knowledge. (I'll attach pics soon)  Im starting with what I guesstimate to be a 125gal propane tank, with a 1/2" 2x2x1  1/2" plate firebox.  It was fitted for two propane pipe burners in the cooking chamber (with the wrong orifice and way too large burner holes) some 4" square tubing to act as some type of "tuning plate" Two removable, non-slide out grates made of flat stainless, and a 5x6 trailer that was bandaged together.

I have already purchased a new 6x10 (3500lb single axle with brakes) trailer with expanded metal floor, stripped the smokers innerds, plan on replacing the pipe burners with some from homemade ones like the ones offered by pig cookers plus with the flame indicator and a grease shield.

I'm trying to decide between doing reverse flow route or just add tuning plates. I will be converting to slide out expanded steel racks and adding a second rack for more cooking space. 

There is no warming rack over top of the firebox, but I would like to add one later.  I have a 6 burner event grill like this one (with the stainless griddle attatchment)

I would like to add 2 star burners like these 

or these

so I could add this deep fryer pan and some stock pots, etc.

Plans also include a BBQ Guru pit temp controller, hand washing sink, wood & charcoal storage and some type of enclosed lockable storage box for utensils.

I have the plan and the ideas, the difficult part is I am in no way a welder.

This is kind of what Im basing everything on:

I have looked at almost every smoking related website and have developed in my mind what I feel would be the ultimate BBQ trailer.  I would like to be able to to feed larger groups, as I have catered some small events, but its mostly being build "because I want it"

I have a second trailer also in the development stages:

This one would be for pig/open grilling only, no  firebox, just 2 propane pipe burners, pull out charcoal tray with ash pan, a wood chip smoking box, slide out 4' x 5' expanded steel rack, and a propane turkey fryer burner

No one in my area has any of these that I am aware of and I would plan on renting them out for public use if I was not using them

I would greatly appreciate any and all help you guys have to offer!  

Thanks everyone and keep on smoking!

Streetdoc79

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Eric! 
welcome1.gif
 to SMF!!! We're happy you found us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky