how to price smokin butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajky

StickBurners
Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
KY
someone has ask me to smoke some pork butts for a price. I dont know how to price it. do i price by the pound? by how long it takes. I know to price more to smoke and pull it for them. thanks for the help.

That sounds like a very fair price and I would certainly add a buck or two more per pound if I was to do the pulling. Remember that if you pull it and sell "pulled pork" by the pound they ain't getting the bone weight they would from a whole butt or picnic shoulder.

Trav, is you price based on UNCOOKED or COOKED (finished) weight?

Thats cooked finished wieght, pulled an in a vac bag, frozen, lessin the customer wan'ts it done different.

Butts er easy ta pull, not much work really, now brisket on the other hand, goes fer 9.50 a pound cause it's lots more work.

You are almost givin it away Tip! I couldn't touch it for that, nor would I.
icon_wink.gif

I charge 8.00 a pound if someone wants them. I am not in business though.

WOW I charge 2.75 /# Plus the price of meat, pre cooked. Butt you think about it, this aint far off. I useally dont pull,slice or decombobulate it for them.

Times are tough, and paying someone to cook is not prudent for some folks right now. Low prices now should build you up a following if you ever want to switch to full time catering.

Besides, Tip loves to cook, so he gets paid to do something he loves (and probably would have been doing anyway.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky